• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melanger experimentation

tikidoc

@pastrygirl So would you purchase your melanger again?  Have you experienced any of the issues EsaK described?  They sounded fairly serious.  If I were making almond praline paste, I am beginning to think that, to use the Premier melanger, I would need to grind the almonds in a food processor (until they are powdery and the oil begins to come out of them), make the caramel (dark but not "French brown"!), grind it in a food processor until the shards are quite small but not necessarily powdery, then add these two items gradually ("gradually" seems to be important) to the melanger, and grind away.  Reasonably correct?

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

@pastrygirl So would you purchase your melanger again?  Have you experienced any of the issues EsaK described?  They sounded fairly serious.  If I were making almond praline paste, I am beginning to think that, to use the Premier melanger, I would need to grind the almonds in a food processor (until they are powdery and the oil begins to come out of them), make the caramel (dark but not "French brown"!), grind it in a food processor until the shards are quite small but not necessarily powdery, then add these two items gradually ("gradually" seems to be important) to the melanger, and grind away.  Reasonably correct?

Yes, I would, I have not had many problems beyond dropping things on my concrete floor and breaking them.  I don't caramelize the sugar in my hazelnut paste, I roast the nuts, food processor until liquidy, then add the sugar gradually to the melanger after the nuts have run a bit.  I don't think caramelizing the sugar would change anything.  It does help if ingredients and work space are warm.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.2362a0637cf1440762adcf689fdae684.jpeg

IMG_4826.thumb.jpeg.df3cda3b62f3e932d4bd4be89ff40a7d.jpeg

Raspberry 'chocolate'.  Freeze dried raspberry powder, sugar, cocoa butter and a bit of citric acid. After a bit of trouble with things binding up - I have decided the best method is to grind the sugar in my Sumeet grinder to a powder, add the melted cocoa butter to the melanger, then add the powdered sugar and fruit powder then let it melange for a couple of hours. 

I think I'll be making a batch of blackcurrant next. Going to add both citric and malic acid.  

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

In reading the blog section of the melangers.com site, I came across instructions for making pralliné.  They call for roasting nuts, making a caramel, adding the nuts to the caramel, letting it cool, breaking it into "small pieces," then letting it mix in the melanger for two hours.  Then the recipe mentions adding something called "EZtemper silk" (never heard of that ingredient 😁).  The instructions seem much more "casual" than those discussed by users on eGullet, especially the mention of "small pieces" (as opposed to very tiny pieces or nuts starting to exude oil) and the direction to add everything all at once (contrary to what every user on eG has said).  Could a user comment on this?

50 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

In reading the blog section of the melangers.com site, I came across instructions for making pralliné.  They call for roasting nuts, making a caramel, adding the nuts to the caramel, letting it cool, breaking it into "small pieces," then letting it mix in the melanger for two hours.  Then the recipe mentions adding something called "EZtemper silk" (never heard of that ingredient 😁).  The instructions seem much more "casual" than those discussed by users on eGullet, especially the mention of "small pieces" (as opposed to very tiny pieces or nuts starting to exude oil) and the direction to add everything all at once (contrary to what every user on eG has said).  Could a user comment on this?

Think that might be Rodney's recipe - I would suggest you grind the praline in a food processor before adding it slowly to the melanger. It does say crush the praline to small pieces (to me that would be cocoa nib size or smaller). Be prepared to apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer if it seems to be bunging up.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Just so the eGullet historical record will be accurate:  The Valrhona pecan praline paste just arrived (see earlier post on the almond paste).  I had to purchase a full case (10kg), and after my almond experience, I had much trepidation.  With the almond I have thought of a couple of ways of "saving" the bitter paste, but I know of no pecan flavoring or other way of saving the pecan.  So I said to myself, why bother opening both pails if this is going to be unusable?  To my great relief, the pecan is completely delicious--sweet with the caramel (not at all bitter) and delicious from the pecans, much more flavorful than any pecan paste I have made.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Just so the eGullet historical record will be accurate:  The Valrhona pecan praline paste just arrived (see earlier post on the almond paste).  I had to purchase a full case (10kg), and after my almond experience, I had much trepidation.  With the almond I have thought of a couple of ways of "saving" the bitter paste, but I know of no pecan flavoring or other way of saving the pecan.  So I said to myself, why bother opening both pails if this is going to be unusable?  To my great relief, the pecan is completely delicious--sweet with the caramel (not at all bitter) and delicious from the pecans, much more flavorful than any pecan paste I have made.  

Fabulous!

On 9/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, Jim D. said:

In reading the blog section of the melangers.com site, I came across instructions for making pralliné.  They call for roasting nuts, making a caramel, adding the nuts to the caramel, letting it cool, breaking it into "small pieces," then letting it mix in the melanger for two hours. 

Anyone know why the nuts and caramel have to be mixed together pre-melanger?  I just pour the caramel onto a parchment-lined sheet pan to make it thin, smash to break and add the nuts and caramel to the blender for a bit before transferring to the melanger.  Otherwise, I find the nut/caramel mixture difficult to break up.

5 hours ago, jedovaty said:

Anyone know why the nuts and caramel have to be mixed together pre-melanger?  I just pour the caramel onto a parchment-lined sheet pan to make it thin, smash to break and add the nuts and caramel to the blender for a bit before transferring to the melanger.  Otherwise, I find the nut/caramel mixture difficult to break up.

I also use your method.  It's much easier, I think.   If I recall correctly, chocolatier Kriss Harvey was the person I saw who suggested this.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, Jim D. said:

You have certainly provided helpful information on the melanger.  Not encouraging, but helpful.  Thanks for all the details.  I am not mechanically inclined, so warnings are useful.

Way behind on this conversation but just wanted to add that I've had the exact opposite experience with mine from what that person has had. I have the not upgraded mostly plastic guts older non-tilting model. I'm not particularly careful with particle size of ingredients or exacting with wheel tension and I haven't had to repair or replace anything so far. Usage tends to come in spurts, it gets used heavily to get a few batches made up and then may sit for a bit but it has a pretty large total number of working hours on it. That's not saying you won't experience what the other person did, just another angle based on my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I haven’t been making chocolate for the summer months this year, and as a result haven’t been to this forum for awhile.  I’ve been making chocolate in my melanger for just over two years now, and started roasting my own beans last year. (Mostly I’ve been roasting our own coffee which I buy from Sweet Maria’s which is excellent, and a nice side benefit to the coffee roaster).  Anyhow, I saw this thread came alive again, and so thought I’d add my experience. I have a Spectra Melanger, and I grind my cacao beans with the Crankandstein grinder, which leaves the nibs pretty large, so I whir them up in the food processor first. It just goes smoother. When I’m making dark chocolate, usually 75%, I normally wait about 30 minutes to add the sugar. With milk chocolate, there’s more coco butter, so I generally add the sugar right after the nibs, but wait about 30 minutes to add the milk powder. The key for me is to just gradually sprinkle in the ingredients (except the coco butter) as the mix can take it. Fortunately I’ve never had anything seize up, or any mechanical issues. I did break off the outer plastic button on the on/off switch, but it’s such a poor design, and it works fine and is safe as it is, so I didn’t bother with getting a replacement.  

As far as cleaning, I don’t find it too much work. I tend to make a few batches in a row now, and have gotten pretty good at the scrape out as much as possible between batches thing. With chocolate, I just let it set up overnight, then scrape all that I can to save, and then the washing part is really just maybe 15 minutes. I take the wheels off and bushings out every cleaning.

It does the job for me for sure.  I know I’ve made at least 40 or 50 batches over the last 2 years, and will probably do 20 or so before Christmas this year. Some of the people we gave it as gifts to over the years want to buy from me to give as gifts themselves, so this is starting to take on a life of it’s own. 

Edited by Douglas K (log)
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

One of the "wheels" in my melanger is acting kind of weird. I can stop its movement by just pushing a spatula kinda soft on it. It's almost like it doesn't do anything, just spinning a bit but no "grip". Do you guys think it's time to replace some part in my melanger?

I could record a movie if it would help.

Edited by Rajala
Grammar (log)

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

One of the "wheels" in my melanger is acting kind of weird. I can stop its movement by just pushing a spatula kinda soft on it. It's almost like it doesn't do anything, just spinning a bit but no "grip". Do you guys think it's time to replace some part in my melanger?

I could record a movie if it would help.

Contact the company - they’ll be able to help 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Contact the company - they’ll be able to help 

Always a good idea. Just did it, hopefully it's something "superficial" that can be fixed easy so I don't need to buy a whole new machine.

• 1 month later...

I finally broke down and got a Premier melanger--mostly to make almond praline paste to my liking (see above in this thread for the tale of the very dark Valrhona product I tried).  I was excited to assemble the machine and clean it with some sugar, then make some paste.  But I quickly realized that reading the brief instruction manual and watching all the videos to which the manual directed me would be of no help.  I knew that the melanger had been updated, but I would think manufacturers would update their manuals, especially with such drastic changes.  Example: There is a video dedicated solely to the great care needed to adjust the scrapers so that they will do their job but not touch the walls of the melanger, but I looked in vain for the scrapers in my box.  Turns out (so I am assuming) that the scrapers don't exist in the new machine.   I spent a lot of time looking for several other parts that turned out not to be in the box--and are no longer used.  So I called the company, but no one answered and my message has not been returned.  It felt like Christmas--opening the new toy but not having the batteries to make it work and all the stores were closed.  So I searched the melangers.com site some more and finally located a video showing the revised machine and how to assemble it--except that I was left with one large part not identified and not used anywhere in the video!  So even the video was out of date.  I think I figured it out, but I don't want to wreck the machine and so will have to wait--unless someone has the new version of the melanger and can explain it to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Here's a link to the setup video:  https://www.melangers.com/pages/quick-start-guide (it's the video numbered 3 on the page).

It begins with replacing the spindle in the middle of the bowl with a longer one.  Again, after much puzzling, I determined that the machine no longer ships with the short spindle, so no replacing is necessary.

Below is the part not accounted for.  I think it fits directly under the lid.  The lid is another issue: does it have to be in place at all times?  I don't think so since there are lots of occasions when one is adding ingredients as the melanger does its work.

PXL_20230218_183922212.thumb.jpg.6debe90b43c28f10f507b77ea905bd4a.jpg

Edited by Jim D. (log)

That's exactly what I think it is.  And knowing from your remark that a splash guard is needed, it seems all the more likely.  It also fits perfectly on the spindle and the stainless device that holds the rollers.  I am not usually the kind of person who says, "What the heck, let's give it a try and see what happens," but I'm thinking I may go that route tomorrow.  I'm also very annoyed that the instructions aren't up to date.  It's like a chocolatier including a guide to a box's contents and saying to customers, "It's the list from a previous batch, but you can figure it out."  And I'm not charging $450 for a box of chocolates.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I finally broke down and got a Premier melanger--mostly to make almond praline paste to my liking (see above in this thread for the tale of the very dark Valrhona product I tried).  I was excited to assemble the machine and clean it with some sugar, then make some paste.  But I quickly realized that reading the brief instruction manual and watching all the videos to which the manual directed me would be of no help.  I knew that the melanger had been updated, but I would think manufacturers would update their manuals, especially with such drastic changes.  Example: There is a video dedicated solely to the great care needed to adjust the scrapers so that they will do their job but not touch the walls of the melanger, but I looked in vain for the scrapers in my box.  Turns out (so I am assuming) that the scrapers don't exist in the new machine.   I spent a lot of time looking for several other parts that turned out not to be in the box--and are no longer used.  So I called the company, but no one answered and my message has not been returned.  It felt like Christmas--opening the new toy but not having the batteries to make it work and all the stores were closed.  So I searched the melangers.com site some more and finally located a video showing the revised machine and how to assemble it--except that I was left with one large part not identified and not used anywhere in the video!  So even the video was out of date.  I think I figured it out, but I don't want to wreck the machine and so will have to wait--unless someone has the new version of the melanger and can explain it to me.

Whats the large part? I'm sure I can tell you

DUH - missed the picture - yes - splash guard and roller holder. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

I suspected you would have one of the new models.  Thanks for the photos.  It seems the splash guard fits under the roller holder as well as over it.  Do you think the order of installation matters?  Either way I can't get the bolt (or whatever it's called) to make contact, even with pressing it down quite hard.  Did you have difficulty with this?

Any idea as to the purpose of the holes near the red dots?  At first I was thinking the lid had to be "bolted down," which would mean adding ingredients would be a pain, but it appears the hole in the middle of the lid is large enough to remove it during operation.

Some holes are there for temperature probes - but thought they were down further inside the two pieces that go into the mass. 

You don’t want to tighten too much - just til kinda snug then one turn I believe - you want a little space between stones for best results. 

Here’s what he told me - ‘Also keep the top spring pressure just to one turn of pressure. 

With stainless it is easy to put a lot of pressure to the stones and it will take longer time to grind. ‘

But I can't get the knob with the spring to engage--it seems the spindle is not quite long enough.  Without the new splash guards, it's fine, but not with the three layers of stainless (splash guard + holder of the stirring devices + stone holder).  Perhaps the longer spindle I mentioned from the video is necessary after all.  I guess I will find out when I get a call back.