• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

I have reread this thread and have a few questions about melangers.  Ever since they became a "must-have" device for many chocolatiers, I have considered purchasing one.  But my tight space as well as the apparent difficulty of cleaning the machine held me back.  So I have made my praline nut pastes (almond, pecan--I buy Cacao Barry's hazelnut already made) with a food processor.  I make the hard caramel first, then grind it in a small food processor until it is as fine as I can get it.  Then the caramel bits and nuts go in the large food processor, and I grind away.  Needless to say, the paste never gets completely smooth, but the sugar bits are tolerable.  But I have never been completely satisfied.  Then I found two nut praline pastes (almond and pecan)--made by a very reputable company-- that I didn't know were available, so I ordered some of each (of course it had to be in 5kg pails).  Yesterday I mixed up the almond to put it in smaller containers to freeze.  The tasting was a revelation--not in a good way.  It was bitter (and I don't mean the wonderful taste of bitter almond flavoring) and quite dark.  Either the manufacturer left the skins on the nuts (which is not my preference) or roasted them to a degree beyond what I consider palatable.  I can rescue the paste by adding some bitter almond (a wonderful German brand that requires only a few drops), but am really unhappy with this expensive purchase and a nut paste that needs further doctoring.  I can only imagine the bitterness I may encounter when the pecan arrives.  I have learned an expensive lesson:  flavor is paramount, texture matters less.

But there is still the lure of the melanger to reach both goals.  My question, for those who have used melangers for a while, is whether they would purchase the machine again.  Is the result worth the tedious cleaning?  Furthermore I have read ominous comments about having to grind everything (caramel, nuts) in advance or risk having the machine seize up.  I would appreciate any comments on melangers.  I would not plan to use it for anything aside from nut pastes.

Jim D.

Jim D.

I have reread this thread and have a few questions about melangers.  Ever since they became a "must-have" device for many chocolatiers, I have considered purchasing one.  But my tight space as well as the apparent difficulty of cleaning the machine held me back.  So I have made my praline nut pastes (almond, pecan--I buy Cacao Barry's hazelnut already made) with a food processor.  I make the hard caramel first, then grind it in a small food processor until it is as fine as I can get it).  Then the caramel bits and nuts go in the large food processor, and I grind away.  Needless to say, the paste never gets completely smooth, but the sugar bits are tolerable.  But I have never been completely satisfied.  Then I found two nut praline pastes (almond and pecan)--made by a very reputable company-- that I didn't know were available, so I ordered some of each (of course it had to be in 5kg pails).  Yesterday I mixed up the almond to put it in smaller containers to freeze.  The tasting was a revelation--not in a good way.  It was bitter (and I don't mean the wonderful taste of bitter almond flavoring) and quite dark.  Either the manufacturer left the skins on the nuts (which is not my preference) or roasted them to a degree beyond what I consider palatable.  I can rescue the paste by adding some bitter almond (a wonderful German brand that requires only a few drops), but am really unhappy with this expensive purchase and a nut paste that needs further doctoring.  I can only imagine the bitterness I may encounter when the pecan arrives.  I have learned an expensive lesson:  flavor is paramount, texture matters less.

But there is still the lure of the melanger to reach both goals.  My question, for those who have used melangers for a while, is whether they would purchase the machine again.  Is the result worth the tedious cleaning?  Furthermore I have read ominous comments about having to grind everything (caramel, nuts) in advance or risk having the machine seize up.  I would appreciate any comments on melangers.  I would not plan to use it for anything aside from nut pastes.