Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

rotuts

Nathan's Hot dog Contest 2018

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I decided to mention this here , as its at least "  fast "  :

 

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/07/05/counting-error-nathans-famous-hot-dog-eating-contest/23475644/

 

only in America.

 

digital rep[lay comming

 

and at least a million dollars we're wagered

 

I have no idea why the contestants are still alive.


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial reaction every year: This is 'effin gross and humans are dumb.

 

Then, immediately after: How big does your stomach have to stretch to hold all that? Or are you forcing some of it down into your upper intestine? How do you train for something like this? What does it do to your poo? Does everyone just puke it all out afterwards? Do you have to see a special doctor if you are preparing for something like this? What do your parents/spouses/siblings/co-workers/friends all think? Do you just smell like hot dogs all the time? How much does...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yiannos

 

"Do you just smell like hot dogs all the time? "

 

Unknown-1.jpeg.153ba044b52f762f09c07f5f275601b6.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner"  And now I am!


Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive actually seen the WeinnerMoble Once

 

quite some time ago

 

maybe this one 

 

michigan-dearborn-the-henry-ford-museum-oscar-mayer-wienermobile-AF91FY.thumb.jpg.2a9cbfb05d70b8dd007b74a15e614623.jpg

 

its in the Ford museum  Detriot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw one in Des Moines parked in the lot of a Mexican restaurant.  When we went inside, I scoped out

all the customers but wasn't able to pick the driver out.  Must keep some "civies" to change into

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to this contest all year long :) 

 

Along with hotdogs, the contestants eat major amounts of all kinds of food to qualify and be in Major League Eating.  I mean, I love raw oysters but can you imagine eating 47 dozen in 8 minutes?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some time ago

 

I had 4 roommates in College 

 

everybody ate at a central cafeteria w 6 different dining rooms w the same decor and food

 

some times on Friday there was Fried Shrimp   

 

lets say medium or so , batter crispy but not overwhelming to the Fried Shrimp Experience

 

you could take you plate back to the Line for sends , thirds or 33's

 

I suggested we have a Shrimp Eating Competition 

 

no prizes 

 

you had to leave just the tail on your tray for Verification , if need be

 

I of course Won !

 

money-mouth.gif.67bfcfd57de68beda7593dc29f42bfa0.gif

 

119 confirmed shrimp.

 

second place : 79

 

etc.

 

I did note at about S # 45 one's mouth became a bit dry

 

small sips of Ice tea or what ever helped that.

 

on the short walk back to the Dorm , no real issues

 

they a lay down in my bed , and not really in any pain

 

became a bit concerned ?

 

was I about to die , later ?

 

worked itself out,

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Some time ago

 

I had 4 roommates in College 

 

everybody ate at a central cafeteria w 6 different dining rooms w the same decor and food

 

some times on Friday there was Fried Shrimp   

 

lets say medium or so , batter crispy but not overwhelming to the Fried Shrimp Experience

 

you could take you plate back to the Line for sends , thirds or 33's

 

I suggested we have a Shrimp Eating Competition 

 

no prizes 

 

you had to leave just the tail on your tray for Verification , if need be

 

I of course Won !

 

money-mouth.gif.67bfcfd57de68beda7593dc29f42bfa0.gif

 

119 confirmed shrimp.

 

second place : 79

 

etc.

 

I did note at about S # 45 one's mouth became a bit dry

 

small sips of Ice tea or what ever helped that.

 

on the short walk back to the Dorm , no real issues

 

they a lay down in my bed , and not really in any pain

 

became a bit concerned ?

 

was I about to die , later ?

 

worked itself out,

You could be along side Joey Chestnut!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shrimp + Youth  is a bit different

 

than ground Sodium Bombs

 

BTW :

 

Buns.jpg.88278d55b18ebbeb50bca891a8989761.jpg

 

where exactly are those two buns ?

 

the buns are the killers I think

 

expanding , expanding , expanding 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rotuts said:

Shrimp + Youth  is a bit different

 

than ground Sodium Bombs

 

BTW :

 

Buns.jpg.88278d55b18ebbeb50bca891a8989761.jpg

 

where exactly are those two buns ?

 

the buns are the killers I think

 

expanding , expanding , expanding 

 

 

He has a routine.  He eats two dogs and then two buns after dipping them in a big water cup.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby

 

your are quite the expert

 

thanks for carrying that

 

the water dip must have been the Key.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rotuts said:

@Shelby

 

your are quite the expert

 

thanks for carrying that

 

the water dip must have been the Key.

Yep, the water dip is crucial.  

 

I've followed MLE (major league eating) for many years.

 

I'm weird.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby

 

you probably liked that show on FoodNetwork'

 

where sone guy who's name Ive forgotten

 

went around the county to very interring Eateries that had a 

 

Challenge  :  eat a billion pound pizza w a zillion topings 

 

and 

 

its free 

 

i watch  it for a while via D/L as the places were very very interesing

 

burger /chickn / /ec jpints

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

 

you probably liked that show on FoodNetwork'

 

where sone guy who's name Ive forgotten

 

went around the county to very interring Eateries that had a 

 

Challenge  :  eat a billion pound pizza w a zillion topings 

 

and 

 

its free 

 

i watch  it for a while via D/L as the places were very very interesing

 

burger /chickn / /ec jpints

 

Yes!  I loved that show!!  Adam Richman is his name.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to eat as much as the next gal/guy. I have to say, though, that I think the culture/society that promotes overeating to this life-threatening extent is extremely sad. 

 

78 hot dogs and buns. Think about it. I don't find it funny at all. Others see it differently, obviously.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shelby said:

He has a routine.  He eats two dogs and then two buns after dipping them in a big water cup.

After reading this, I have to agree with Yiannos' initial reaction.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even without actually seeing him do this I am pretty grossed out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a timely article

 

Most competitive eaters are very lean and in shape (not all, but most).  Now, their cholesterol levels might be a bit high....I don't know......  :laugh:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby

 

"He went on to say: '[They understand] muscle expands greater than fat does,' adding, 'the leaner you are, the greater expansion you have.'        "

 

interesting article.   I saw the 180 oyster show.

 

but the above make quote makes absolutely no sense at all .

 

I have no idea how they do these things

 

they must have a very large stomach , from ' training ' so hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Canada, the result made the main page of our primary sports site, TSN (the equivalent of ESPN).

 

I don't understand why, but...they also broadcast poker tournaments. I don't "get" that as being in any way a sport, either.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×