• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mayonnaise or Tangy Salad Dressing Chocolate Cake

The basic formula for these cakes was developed by the wife of a mayonnaise salesman in an effort to help him out. I did a bit of research, and have found many variations. Early variants generally involve using less cocoa, which I cannot recommend. Later variants involve using cold water instead of boiling, adding salt, and additional leaveners. I personally do not feel that any additional salt is needed, as mayonnaise and that famous, tangy brand of salad dressing (sometimes the label just says 'Dressing') both contain a fair amount of salt. If you are using homemade mayonnaise or a low sodium product, an eighth teaspoon of salt may boost the flavor a bit. And, of course, somewhere along the way fans who prefer a certain salad dressing over mayonnaise started using it to make this cake. Nowadays, the Hellman's website has a different formula -one with added eggs and baking powder. I have not tried this newer formulation.

Some versions of this recipe specify sifted cake flour. This will result in a very light cake with virtually no structural integrity, due to the paucity of eggs in this recipe compared to a regular cake. Cupcakes made this way give beautifully light results. However, every time I try to make a traditional 8" double layer cake with cake flour, I experience collapse. I recommend AP flour or at least a mix of cake and pastry flour.

I have never made this with a gluten-free flour replacer. This recipe does not have very much structural integrity and as such does not make a good candidate for a gluten-free cake.

I have made this cake many times, the type of sandwich spread you choose will affect the outcome. Made with mayonnaise, the cake has a good chocolate flavor and moistness. Made with that famous, tangy, off-white salad dressing that gets used as a sandwich spread, the cake has a subtle bit of extra brightness to the flavor. If one chooses to use a vegan mayonnaise, the result is tasty but lacking a little in structure; I would bake this in a square pan and frost and serve from the pan.

The cocoa you use will also affect the flavor.  For a classic, homey flavor use a supermarket brand of cocoa. To add a little sophistication, use better, artisan type cocoa and use chocolate extract instead of the vanilla extract.

Supposedly, the traditional frosting for this cake should have a caramel flavor. Look for one where you actually caramelize some sugar first. Modern recipes for the icing seem like weak imitations to me; using brown sugar as the main flavor instead of true caramel.

Chocolate Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing Cake

makes enough for two 8" round pans, or a 9" square (about 7 cups of batter)

2 ounces/56g unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa

1 cup/236g boiling water

1 teaspoon/4g regular strength vanilla extract

3/4 cup/162g mayonnaise, vegan mayonnaise, or salad dressing (the tangy, off-white, sandwich spread type dressing)

10.5ounces/300g all-purpose flour

7 ounces/200g sugar

0.35ounce/10g baking soda

Preheat your oven to 350°.

Grease or spray two 8" round pans or an equivalent volume square or rectangle.

Place the cocoa in a medium (4-5 cup) bowl. Add the hot water and stir with a fork to break up any clumps. Allow to cool down a little,  then add the vanilla extract and the mayonnaise or salad dressing spread. Beat well to eliminate lumps. In the bowl of an electric mixer or larger regular bowl if making by hand, sift in the flour and add the sugar and baking soda. Mix the dry ingredients to distribute evenly. Slowly beat in the cocoa mixture. Mix until the batter has an even color. Pour immediately into the pans. If making two 8" rounds, weigh them to ensure they contain equal amounts.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the center of the top springs back when touched lightly. (The toothpick test does NOT work well on this moist cake!) Allow the cake to cool a little and shrink from the sides of the pan before removing. Removal is easier while still a little warm.

Good with or without frosting.

Good beginner cake for kids to make.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 8

Great recipe! Thank you for doing all the research for us. You certainly have covered all the bases.

I just want to point out that you do not mention at what point you add the mayonnaise.

Just a quick story about this cake from my childhood. My father had lots of imaginary allergies. He just knew that if  mayonnaise ever passed his lips he would surely die. After my oldest sister was married, she found the recipe for this cake. Since chocolate cake was his favorite, She brought it to all the family gatherings. He always had seconds and sometimes thirds and never had a second of pain. She got the most unholy glee out of that. She always was kind of a nasty person.

Thank you for this great recipe.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
editing error (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Back in the '70s my kids like to make a similar cake. They would ask me to buy a jar because they didn't think my homemade mayo or salad dressing would work correctly.

I kept one of the pint jars after one such effort, hidden way at the back of my fridge (had a lock on it) and when I made a batch of one of my homemade stuff, I made extra and filled the jar and shifted it to the fridge that held their stuff.

Liz made the cake a week or so later and no one commented that it was any different.  So I continued doing it.  After a few months I had to buy a new jar because the label was beginning to look iffy.

Incidentally, two morning ago I made a pint of mayonnaise and I wanted a bit more "tang" than usual so I added 2 rounded tablespoons of CAPERS to the ingredients in the mini food processor.  Wonderful flavor.  Was perfect in my "rustic" potato salad.  (skins left on).

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Great recipe! Thank you for doing all the research for us. You certainly have covered all the bases.

I just want to point out that you do not mention at what point you add the mayonnaise.

Thanks for pointing that out, I have edited that bit in. This recipe uses the 'Muffin Method' of assembly, wet ingredients mixed together, dry ingredients mixed together, then combined. (with sugar viewed as 'dry' in this case, unlike in other cakes where it's 'wet')

@andiesenji, clever business there, tricking the kids! The tangy dressing contains several extra ingredients: garlic powder, sugar, spices, and extra vinegar. It contains less oil (it cannot be called mayonnaise for this reason) and less egg. However, it does contain starch which helps the cake structure. My best results for this cake have been with the MW salad dressing -which I also have a recipe for. (hmmm....)

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks for pointing that out, I have edited that bit in. This recipe uses the 'Muffin Method' of assembly, wet ingredients mixed together, dry ingredients mixed together, then combined. (with sugar viewed as 'dry' in this case, unlike in other cakes where it's 'wet')

@andiesenji, clever business there, tricking the kids! The tangy dressing contains several extra ingredients: garlic powder, sugar, spices, and extra vinegar. It contains less oil (it cannot be called mayonnaise for this reason) and less egg. However, it does contain starch which helps the cake structure. My best results for this cake have been with the MW salad dressing -which I also have a recipe for. (hmmm....)

I make it, have done so for decades.  For my latest batches of mayonnaise and salad dressing, I have been using avocado oil and it is fantastic.

I use whole eggs in both and I save the liquid from my bread and butter pickles and use that in the salad dressing, aka MW.  And I use  Beaver Brand sweet-hot mustard instead of dijon in the salad dressing.  Produces a wonderful "tang" perfect for sandwiches, salads when you want more "bite" than with mayonnaise.

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 7/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, andiesenji said:

Incidentally, two morning ago I made a pint of mayonnaise and I wanted a bit more "tang" than usual so I added 2 rounded tablespoons of CAPERS to the ingredients in the mini food processor.  Wonderful flavor.  Was perfect in my "rustic" potato salad.  (skins left on).

Please remind me not to try that in chocolate cake!

• Haha 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Apx 160 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or one can)
      800g sunchokes, washed well and diced (2cm wide)
      400g carrots (3 large), peeled and diced (1cm wide)
      2 large onions, diced
      600g pumpkin, diced (3 cm wide)
      Apx 3 tbsp worth of fresh rosemary
      4 bay leaves
      4 tsp nutritional yeast or a little MSG
      1 tbsp butter
      2 tsp cumin seeds
      1.5 tsp coriander seeds
      2 tsp fenugreek seeds
      3 large garlic cloves, minced
      chili to taste
      Apx 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
      2 tsp paprika
      1 tsp turmeric
      salt to taste
      200g spinach
      2-3 tbsp lemon juice
      handful of chopped parsley
      black pepper

Cook the chickpeas until tender in salted water. Keep the cooking water.
      Microwave the carrot cubes on high heat for two minutes.
      Coat carrots and sunchokes in oil and roast at high heat until browned, but still retains some bite.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry onion until browned.
      Add pumpkin, rosemary, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, chickpea liquid and water to cover. Cook until pumpkin softens (I use a pressure cooker, in which this takes 5 minutes).
      Add chickpeas, sunchokes, carrots, water to cover and salt to taste.
      Cook until softens to your liking, but not too much.
      -
      Meanwhile, fry cumin and coriander in butter until aromatic.
      Add fenugreek, garlic, chili and thyme. Fry until aromatic.
      Grind with some salt, add turmeric and paprika.
      Add to soup.
      -
      Add spinach, parsley, lemon and pepper.
      Adjust to taste.

• By Keith Orr
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce (Habenero Hot Sauce)
      I thought I'd submit my recipe which is a clone of a locally available sauce here in Portland OR called Secret Aardvark Sauce.
      Sorta Secret Aardvark Sauce
      1 – 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes or roasted tomatoes chopped - include the juice
      1 – 14.5 oz of rice wine vinegar. Use the now empty tomato can to measure
      1-1/2 cups of peeled and grated carrots (packed into the measuring cup)
      1 cup of finely diced white onion
      1/4 cup of yellow mustard
      1/3 cup of sugar
      2 teaspoons of Morton’s Kosher Salt
      1 teaspoon of black pepper
      13 small Habaneros – seeded and membranes removed. (This was 2 oz. of Habaneros before cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and membranes)
      2 teaspoons curry powder
      1 cup of water when cooking
      5 or 6 cloves of garlic - roasted if you've got it
      Put it all in the crockpot on high until everything is tender. About 3 hours  Note: I used the crockpot so I don't have to worry about scorching it while it cooks. 
      Whirl in food processor – Don’t puree until smooth – make it lightly/finely chunky.
      Makes 3 pints - To can process pint jars in a water bath canner for 15 minutes
      I've thought about making this with peaches or mangoes too, but haven't tried it yet.

Edited for clarity on 11/9/2020

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Carribean, Condiment, Sauce, Easy, Food Processor
      ( RG2003 )
    • By shain
      500g short hollow pasta - I use Gomiti (elbows) but you can use penne or any similar shape. 200-250 g sour cream 300-350 fromage blanc or another mildly tart "farmer 's cheese" such as tvorog or quark 6 medium eggs (or 5 large ones) 8-10 spring onions, thinly sliced apx 6 tbsp chopped parsley 2 garlic loves, minced Optional: 2 tsp nutritional yeast (or a bit of MSG) salt to taste (1.5 tsp) 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper Bread crumbs topping:
      apx 15-25g butter 9 tbsp breadcrumbs (divided 7 + 2) a large pinch of salt  
      Mix everything but the pasta and bread crumbs topping in a large bowl. Boil pasta in salted water slightly short of al-dante. Briefly wash the pasta to stop further cooking and drain well. Mix in with the batter. Melt the butter and mix with 7 tbsp bread crumbs and a bit of salt. Grease a baking pan or mold - I much prefer a silicone mold, but you can also use a springform pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the buttery breadcrumbs. Top with the remaining 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs. Gently pour the pasta mixture on top. Bake at 190dC for apx 35 minutes, until set. You may need to cover the pan if it seems to be drying. Cool for a few minutes before flipping over a sheet pan. You may have loose breadcrumbs, put them back on top. When ready to serve, put under a medium-strong broiler until crisp and browned.  

pictured before broiling.

• By Tropicalsenior
      I have made Char siu bao many, many times and I had always considered it a chore until I found this recipe. It is not only easy, it is delicious. It is the closest one that I have found to the Char siu bao that I used to buy in the International District in Seattle in a little bakery called ‘Piece of Cake’. You had to get there early because they were usually sold out by 10.
      If you would like to go to the original site, this is IT.
      The pictures are mine.

David Soo Hoo’s Bread Machine Bao
      Makes 6 buns (Bao)

Dough
      2/3 cup water
      4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
      1 large egg
      3 1/2 cup bread flour
      5 tablespoons sugar
      1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk
      3 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Pork Bao Gravy
      1/4 C. water
      1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
      2 tablespoons oyster sauce
      1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
      2 tablespoons soy sauce
      1 teaspoon sesame oil
      1 tablespoon sugar
      3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Bao BBQ Pork Filling
      3 tablespoons diced yellow onion or stalk of green onions
      4 oz. prepared char siu (Chinese barbecued pork)

Bao Egg Glaze
      1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon sugar
      1 1/2 tablespoons white sesame seeds

Rising the dough in the bread machine
      Place all the dough ingredients in the bread pan according to manufacturer’s instructions, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the flour.  Program for the Dough cycle; press Start. (This recipe is not suitable for the Delay cycle.)  
      About 5 minutes into the Knead 2 cycle, slowly add the remaining flour.  Dough will be stiff, but by the end of the kneading cycle be pliable and smooth.  This is important; if the batter is too moist, the bows will flatten as they bake.
      While the dough is rising, prepare the gravy.  Combine the water, rice wine, oyster sauce, hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar in the top of a double boiler.  Whisk in the flour. Place over simmering water and, stirring constantly, cook until thick and smooth.  It will be the consistency of mayonnaise.  Remove from the water bath and cool in the refrigerator.
      For the filling, chop the pork into a large dice and place in a large bowl with the onions. Add the gravy and mix with the pork.  Cover and refrigerate until needed. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  At the beep, remove the dough from the machine and place on a clean wooden work surface.  Roll into a fat 3 inch wide log.  Cut the log into 6 equal portions.  Place a disc of dough on a wooden work surface (don’t shape on cool marble or ceramic because it will stiffen the dough).  With the palm of your hand, press down on the center and rotate your palm, spiraling out from the center.   The dough will grow into a 3-inch diameter circle (not lopsided, please) with a pretty spiral-pattern radiating from the center like a flower.  Don’t use any flour. Using a 1 1/2-ounce ice cream scoop (size 40), place a scoop of filling in the center of the round of dough.  Bring up the dough over the filling, and holding the two sides between your thumb and third finger, and pinching with your pointer finger, pleat the edges to encase the filling.  Place, seam side down and at least 4 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheet.  
      Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until double in bulk, 45 minutes to 1 hour.  If the filling is cold, it will take 1 1/2 hours to rise. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350º.  Brush each bao with the egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake in the center of the preheated oven 30 to 40 minutes, until big, puffy, and golden brown.  If you have a convection oven, they will bake about 20 minutes.
      Eat the day they are baked, or freeze in plastic freezer bags up to 2 months.  Reheat in a microwave (no need to defrost) for 2 to 3 minutes for a quick dinner

My Notes: I followed the recipe faithfully with only the following exceptions. My bread machine does not have a double knead cycle so I put all of the ingredients in at once, adjusting at the beginning to ensure that I had a fairly stiff dough. I made 12 buns instead of 6 and as a result they cooked perfectly in 20 minutes.
      I also prepared the gravy very successfully in the microwave.
      The one advice that I would give in forming the Buns is to have the center much thicker than the edges. Roll the edges very thin so that you don't have all the bulk at the bottom when you pinch the edges together. Do not overfill the Buns! I have made this recipe several times and no matter how small or large I make them the filling always seems to miraculously come out exactly even.
    • By HungryChris
      This is a quick refrigerator marinade that will last for months in the fridge. They are great as a snack or a side or on a tray with similar items. 2 pounds will make roughly a quart.
      Start by brushing off or rinsing off any dirt and trim longer stems so the mushroom is pleasing to the eye. Keep in mind that they will shrink, so only cut up the ones larger than a golf ball (unless you want them sliced). Put 1 TBS kosher salt  and 1/2 cup white vinegar in a sauce pan, add the mushrooms and enough water to float them. Put on high heat to boil.
      In a clean quart jar, add 3 or 4 cloves of peeled garlic that have been slightly crushed (I use the flat side of a knife under the heel of my hand to do this), 1 TBS kosher salt, 1 TBS dried dill weed and a few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
      Once the mushrooms have come to a boil, give the pot a stir and  examine the surface of the boiling liquid for any dirt that may have escaped your attention and skim the  foam it is floating on if you see any. Boil for about 5 minutes until you notice the color change from white to beige then pour the contents of the pot into a colander to drain. Allow them to cool until they can be handled and add them to the jar you have prepared along with a few bay leaves. I like to add a few layers of thinly sliced onions, but that is optional. When the mushrooms are all in the jar, pour in enough white vinegar to fill the jar half way to the top, then add tap water to 3/4 from the top and top off with a well shaken Italian dressing ( I use Ken's Italian Dressing and Marinade). Secure the lid and shake until you see that all the salt has dissolved. Refrigerate and give the jar a shake every day or so. The mushrooms will be ready in about 3 days.
      HC