• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carignan?

Adam Balic

Have very really enjoyed wine made with this grape, it can be a very high yielding vine the wines tend to reflect this. Until recently, the only Carignan that I have enjoyed has come from Sardinian and was an interesting country wine. However, recently there has been a wave of small producers in the Languedoc producing wines made with this grape variety from low yielding old vines (70 years+) and some of them are very interesting, particularly if they contain some Syrah or Grenache.

Any thoughts on this varieties potential?

I think that the wine from Banyuls is made from Carignan. I'm not sure of the aperitif Banyuls but the wine from there is what I'm talking about. I 've got a few bottles stashed under my house but I don't have the details on them right now. I know that they are L'Etoile but which wine I'm not sure. I lost the software in a computer crash which listed everything in my cellar (read-under the house) so I'll have to climb under there with all of the spiders again soon. The Banyuls red was very nice though.

Luckily there's new wine arriving all of the time so I don't have to do this often.

BlackDuff

You're right when you're speaking of the sweet Banyuls but they also make a lovely red wine. It also has mostly grenache grapes but does have a percentage of carignan.

This is in Italian but should be decipherable.

IP: 76

VP: 0

QQ: 0

ACQ: 0

L'Etoile

Banyuls Grand Cru Doux Paillé Hors d'Age s. a. 76

Consistenza: 30- Equilibrio: 26- Integrità: 20

Data degustazione: Jun 19, 2001; Tipo: Rosso; Prezzo:

Bottiglie prodotte: 0 (volume 0,75 lt); Uve: Grenache Noir 75%, Grenache Gris 15%, Carignan Noir 10%

Scheda vitoenologica del vino

Altre annate di questo vino

Gli altri vini del produttore

This is what I have under my house.

BlackDuff