• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed pork tenderloin sous vide?

TdeV

Is it possible to stuff a pork tenderloin which then gets cooked sous vide,

or,

should one sous vide the tenderloin first and then stuff it later?

And then flash it under the broiler for a minute?

And what would one use for stuffing?

Both are possible.

The SV  stuffed t-loin would hold together much better when sliced.

The answer also depends on what the stuffing is and whether it will be "done" at 134F or so

Stuffing? onion/apple/sausage w mustardy jus for the sauce

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

@TdeV

indeed

butter-fly out the TL 

or consider a pork loin

larger , easier to deal with etc

and as tender as you want it vis SV

for both

after you butter-fly and consider pounding thin-ish

stuss , roll up and tie with butchers twine

to keep its shape when you move it to the SV bag

make sure you note that there is twine on the ' log '

so you remove it before eating.

Ive done this a lot w CkBreasts and Turkey Br.

just remember the twine

opens up  all sorts of Adventures in SV Eating

the roll , not the twine

• Like 1

its going to be easier w a larger diameter cut of meat

but can be done w the smaller.

put anything you want in the center and roll and tie

make sure there is not too much moisture in your filling

if you like spinach , 

get fresh , micro for a bit in a covered container until barely wilted

cool , and ' wring dry '

then use that for some of the stuffing if you feel spinachy.

its that simple

for CkickenBr's

I filet open ,  pound a little between two sheets of plastic

the add fillings   

( not too much ;  I like   a cheese w flavor that melts , say Swiss ,  a couple of slices of Genoa salami

and a slice of mortadella or two  roll and tie )

142.5  f  for 4 or 6 hours    doesn't really matter , but over 4.

eat hot after you remove the twine

or chill  and then remove the twine before you slice for a mighty fine sandwich.

• Like 1

A local, favorite restaurant was good enough to share its pork roll stuffing recipe with me some years back. The ingredient list is long: olive oil, onion, garlic, craisins, raisins, sun-dried cherries, apricots, blueberries and currants; fresh ginger, white wine, and a mix of savory and sweet spices, all cooked together and cooled before being used as a stuffing. The resulting stuffing in a pork roast is fabulous. I think it would lend itself well to stuffing in a roast that was to be rolled and sous-vided.

Edited by Smithy
Clarity (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cooked meat is less rolable than raw. Cooking first, even w SV, will make it hard to stuff. 

A butterflied loin that is coated with stuffing and then rolled will hold its shape well after SV. You might need a string or two to hold it together, but , if careful, the vac sealer will keep it rolled well. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

@rotuts I agree, I'd rather do pork loin than t loin. Bigger, butterflyable, can be rolled up pretty after stuffing.

maybe stuff with a peach and sriracha paste?

Ooohh. That sounds wonderful. I've done pork with ancho peach sauce that was to die for.

My favorite stuffing is rehydrated dried apples, sauteed onions, some caraway, and soaked and pulverized rye berries. I've braised that in apple juice, which I then reduced down to a syrupy glaze.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

Save yourself the trouble of cooking and then stuffing... which can be unsafe too.. depends on what you wanna stuff it with. So, stuff it, bag it, and cook it. Less work in the end and probably easier because once meat is cooked it is tougher to deal with. And just like most anything in cooking... cook it until it's pasteurized to the core. You can even flash sear it loin before bagging it but that's a personal preference. I'd do it in the end because I like that crispy finish. Cheers. 

• Like 1