• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

7 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Literally? :P

(You just never know, around this place...)

Literally.  Kerry reminded me that I have Asian pears literally fermenting in the refrigerator. Not sure they’re going to show up but they might.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

:)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

So far I have defrosted some chicken drumsticks and will marinate them in some ginger and garlic. I think they will work hot cold or room temperature once they are cooked.

Have cooked some eggs in the Instant Pot with a view to making a bacon, asparagus and egg salad with a dijon dressing.  It should tolerate some  wishy-washiness about serving times as long as I don’t dress it till the last minute. 

Now I am debating what to do with the blade roast that is in the freezer and that I would like out of the freezer. I know @rotuts  has offered some suggestions but sometimes I can be quite contrary.  Or perhaps contrary is not quite what I mean. I know have to fit this into a schedule and so Iblook to the cooking method that will most easily accommodate the schedule and it’s beginning to look like sous vide from frozen.  That would preclude any trimming which I believe was suggested. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

for ease of schedule , I see nothing wrong w cooking whole from Fz.

as rare ( 130.1 )  would be nice.

one can trim after cooking , which might be easier.

I prefer doing Kitchen Work in the kitchen

not on the plate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

for ease of schedule , I see nothing wrong w cooking whole from Fz.

as rare ( 130.1 )  would be nice.

one can trim after cooking , which might be easier.

I prefer doing Kitchen Work in the kitchen

not on the plate.

Thanks. I am opting to go just a little higher on the temperature. My choice is going to be 57°C/134.6°F this time.  I may regret it but I feel little more secure at this temperature. I seem to have a double standard for myself between sous vide and just throwing it on the grill where if it still mooing I’m OK with it!

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

did I miss the RB40 Experiment ?

No. It hasn’t happened yet.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5E204963-1B71-4B84-9CBD-1700EE8500D4.thumb.jpeg.e2fdbef29defb6db7878aa816061a13a.jpeg

We needed limes and sour cream and perhaps milk for Kerry’s team.   The first two were on the shopping list.

What we have is some lovely blueberries from Sudbury that were  at the mini farmers market, some pearl onions in balsamic vinegar,  Romaine lettuce, green beans and campari tomatoes.

Who said shopping with a list would save money?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

based on my Personal Taste

of Beef ;  supermarket  choice , paying attention to price and marbling 

and indeed if observant , one can sometimes get decent marbling at the supermarket

I can't imagine a better way to enjoy this model of Beef , w a RB40 assist .

tastes do vary .

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

based on my Personal Taste

of Beef ;  supermarket  choice , paying attention to price and marbling 

and indeed if observant , one can sometimes get decent marbling at the supermarket

I can't imagine a better way to enjoy this model of Beef , w a RB40 assist .

tastes do vary .

I have every intention of attempting the  experiment but it, too, needs to be fitted into a schedule that is not always easy at accommodating wait times or defrost times.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have to really disguise the taste of rum to get it down!

17 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

No proper gin sadly!

Grrrrrr

I see Calvados.... A Calvados Cocktail:

2 oz Cal ados

1/2 oz triple sec

1/2 oz fresh OJ

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

Orange bitters to taste

• Thanks 1

1BEB5DA5-4333-4F05-B90C-3EF8AFE5C819.thumb.jpeg.eb537d63f11ae3bdb90061e6de2ded16.jpeg

Lunch:  coffee and a muffin. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

5E204963-1B71-4B84-9CBD-1700EE8500D4.thumb.jpeg.e2fdbef29defb6db7878aa816061a13a.jpeg

We needed limes and sour cream and perhaps milk for Kerry’s team.   The first two were on the shopping list.

What we have is some lovely blueberries from Sudbury that were  at the mini farmers market, some pearl onions in balsamic vinegar,  Romaine lettuce, green beans and campari tomatoes.

Who said shopping with a list would save money?

That is so like our shopping expeditions! Even when we aren't hungry, there are always the off-schedule temptations. I'm glad I'm not alone in enthusiastic spontaneity. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ah wild blueberries - finally!

Curious what they charge up there for them...

I saw a similar size (though I think slightly bigger) at the market today and the guy wanted $170 for it!!! 😲

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I saw a similar size (though I think slightly bigger) at the market today and the guy wanted $170 for it!!! 😲

Even I did not ask what they cost since Kerry said she’d already remortgaged her house to get them!  I asked which house. She said it was her own not the townhouse.  That only made me realize even more that  they must’ve cost a bomb!  xD 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

3 quarts cost me $55 - a lot for sure.

• Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

3 quarts cost me $55 - a lot for sure.

Wow. I feel a lot happier now about the price of the 5-lb box locally.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

At that price, going out and picking the blueberries gets much more attractive...if you have time and mobility...but only if you have both of those. I've had some fine blueberry picking up in @Tri2Cook's country, but never tried it farther east. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

26 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Wow. I feel a lot happier now about the price of the 5-lb box locally.

They’ve got you by the short and curlies if you aren’t prepared to pick your own. I’ve picked my share when I was younger.

• Like 3