• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

IMG_0980.JPG.77ea2539ed0dc89a7fbbfd3c88272f13.JPG

Needs must - a Brother's Perryman should have a flamed orange rind. Lemon rind will do - and how you choose to flame it depends on the tools you have!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, Shelby said:

I've had my bag packed since yesterday and I'm ready to go :) 

Where will you guys stay after the townhouse is sold?

I'm already looking forward to tonight's cocktail...  I can't remember if you guys left some from last time so you'd be ready for tonight?

We don’t know where we will stay after the town house is sold. Or if we will even be able to return here without it.

Of course we left a cocktail ready. We left two in fact. Tonight the Brothers Perryman won.  Best drink I’ve had since I was up here last.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You and Kerry buy it.

Ha!   I subsist on government pensions. Would you buy a townhouse with 20 foot ceilings that you need to heat and cool? Somehow I think architectural students were let loose on this place.  There isn’t a single light bulb you could change without finding a ladder of some sort.   It’s fine for a few weeks in the summer……or the fall ... but own it?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ha!   I subsist on government pensions. Would you buy a townhouse with 20 foot ceilings that you need to heat and cool? Somehow I think architectural students were let loose on this place.  There isn’t a single light bulb you could change without finding a ladder of some sort.   It’s fine for a few weeks in the summer……or the fall ... but own it?

Yeah, you can do better.

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We don’t know where we will stay after the town house is sold. Or if we will even be able to return here without it.

Of course we left a cocktail ready. We left two in fact. Tonight the Brothers Perryman won.  Best drink I’ve had since I was up here last.

YAY!!!!

some day  Ill make a Negroni

went to TotalWine and found a couple of ingredients

in those AirLine bottles

but not all

I know it will Happen when its Just the Right Time

and not before

how is the weather ?

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

how is the weather ?

Hot. Hot. Hot.  Fortunately this time the air conditioner in the townhouse seems to be operational so we are reasonably comfortable indoors.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Wow

Kimchi 

buckets w handles !

Barry  ( the town )  must be a serious place

Ill have to look around.

Barrie is a bedroom community of Toronto and growing like a weed. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

:o 

This statement makes me very nervous. I really look forward to your Manitoulin breaks!  

• Like 8

7 hours ago, FauxPas said:

This statement makes me very nervous. I really look forward to your Manitoulin breaks!  

Not nearly as much as it makes us nervous I am sure!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning.

I am normally a very early riser and that doesn’t change when I’m up here. Kerry and Kira are still sleeping. We tucked Kira up in the little bed in the living room. We have had various sleeping arrangements for her over the years and she usually adjusts quite well. Kerry’s room is far enough away from the kitchen that I can usually make a cup of coffee without disturbing her. This morning the coffee tastes wonderful. 

Kerry is on call in emergency today. I wouldn’t doubt that she will sneak a little grocery shopping in as well.

Not sure yet what trouble I might be getting into today. Still a lot of unpacking to do so that will likely become the focus of our attention. 

See you a bit later when the rest of the house is awake. 

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

We are busy unpacking so not much exciting is happening moment. I really should say that Kerry is unpacking and I’m watching!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

04DA4746-141D-4D67-9E33-CD2FF5E13E8A.thumb.jpeg.d4398d24eafb28945dc46920940e07be.jpeg

Sad but honest. Took a break from watching Kerry for breakfast.  Seriously Sharp Cheddar and some grapes on a cutting mat.   I’m sure things will improve as we complete the unpacking. But now Kerry has been called into the hospital so things will slow down.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

84D1764A-FAEE-4B9C-84BE-E7CD4F761C77.thumb.jpeg.acebe3e030cdc3d6bd1eee67c4ffee3f.jpeg

It’s a beautiful day in the neighbourhood.

Sunny and 26°C but still climbing.

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

It looked to me as though the cocktail materials in the closet would have required a fair amount of unpacking last night just to get to them. Were they not incentive enough? :laugh:

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It looked to me as though the cocktail materials in the closet would have required a fair amount of unpacking last night just to get to them. Were they not incentive enough? :laugh:

No. If you look carefully right in front of everything else are two small bottles of already made up cocktails. We know our limits and we work within them!   First booze then the unpacking.

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

If there is anything that nature abhors more than a vacuum it’s an empty fridge.  Kerry did her best to fix that problem.

88A2E8BF-9B7A-4A1E-A288-A9A2E9D575A6.thumb.jpeg.e93edaa111f040261308a075dc9f53e4.jpeg

In the back are cherries and cream. In front of those are butter, bananas, sweet potatoes and baking potatoes.  In front of those onions, a peach, plum, two oranges a pear and some carrots.

FCD8D403-9DE8-44C4-BCE3-008E93C62FBD.thumb.jpeg.57c7371cf0ad5effdf8f84ea95e4e5ee.jpeg

Such a bargain on steaks was irresistible. At least one or two will get the Red Boat treatment as per @rotuts.  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Anybody remember playing grocery store when they were little?   Wouldn’t these have been just perfect? These came from Kerry‘s visit to the fancy food show in New York City just before she came up here. I am in love.  She just tipped them out in front of me.

1C87C789-E368-46BE-BE1B-54F086667015.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

Or the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters might need a northern headquarters.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I love the griottines! Have a large container in my fridge that I use for a few things: snacking, over ice cream, make brandied cherries with them, make cherry cordial chocolates around Christmas time. What are you planning to do with yours?

Glad Kerry got some groceries but I don't see any mushrooms -- you should send her back out for those!  😀    Wait, I looked at the photo again... are there mushrooms in the upper left behind the onions?

Edited by curls
think I found the mushrooms (log)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, curls said:

Wait, I looked at the photo again... are there mushrooms in the upper left behind the onions?

Good catch. Indeed they are mushrooms.  

My 2004 eG Blog