• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

8 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

https://food52.com/recipes/15632-roy-finamore-s-broccoli-cooked-forever

really.

i am sorry I find it hard to want to like this.  Kinda like Brussels sprouts.

but, you obviously enjoyed it.  Kudos your way but I bet Kira didn’t like it!

i would never have guessed broccoli.

i am out 😬

I admit when Kerry suggested this treatment of broccoli I was appalled.  I knew it would turn that disgusting khaki green but that’s what she wanted and that was what she was going to get. In the end I found it quite eye opening. A different vegetable altogether than the broccoli that I  normally enjoy.  I would make it again.

Kira had finished eating before we began today so she didn’t even get to taste the broccoli.  But having said that she has an amazingly sophisticated palate. She was eating straight up kimchi yesterday!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You might remember this from last year - I made some Tepache with pineapple scraps and after we had enjoyed it in an Illusion of Victory cocktail and a bit just as is - I added a bit of rum and some vinegar mother and we tucked it in the closet. 

AE4722E1-FC68-474C-BA04-3D9C2D38FFCC.thumb.jpeg.5a3c67a3767142a6edcb12ff91733591.jpeg

A year locked away has turned it into something quite wonderful!

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

You might remember this from last year - I made some Tepache with pineapple scraps and after we had enjoyed it in an Illusion of Victory cocktail and a bit just as is - I added a bit of rum and some vinegar mother and we tucked it in the closet. 

A year locked away has turned it into something quite wonderful!

I do remember the Tepache... I also remember that you had more success with yours than I had with mine. Mine was tasty but I don't think it ever fully became what it was supposed to be based on the descriptions I'd read. ¬¬ I remember the vinegar idea as well but not knowing where I'd find a vinegar mother where I live, I was forced to drink the tasty, if not all that boozy and fizzy, Tepache-ish liquid instead. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good morning. So the heat wave broke last night!  Kerry and I stepped out onto the balcony about 9 o’clock last night and it was sweater weather. Currently it is 16°C and breezy. You will hear no complaints from me. 

Before going to bed last night I opened the fridge and saw my leftover poutine. It has tortured me all night long!  I was awake shortly before 5 am and was tempted to go out and pinch Kira so everyone would wake up and I could have my poutine. 😂

2BFD3D41-2D59-491C-B1C3-2EDD3369E4EE.thumb.jpeg.00a5465684393783b02cfb6ef9f0ee3e.jpeg

Almost as good as yesterday. Re-heated in the Cuisinart 325°F steam bake x 10 mins. 

Kerry is working in the clinic in Little Current today and a friend/business associate is driving up from Toronto and will arrive here sometime around dinner time. We will have to see about feeding him when he gets here. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry has gone off to work and I can play for a while. First though the important stuff has to be done. I have a load of laundry sloshing in the machine and I have stripped the chicken carcass of its meat and thrown its bones into the Instant Pot along with a small carrot and a small onion. Might as well turn it into soup rather than into compost. 6D19BFC0-9F6E-4939-8AF3-4C58D8A3AB1B.thumb.jpeg.a5477cd89ca86e0f5009d2876a0244a3.jpeg

So nice to have so many kitchen toys!

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Purely out of my concern for Kira and my evil thoughts about pinching her so she would wake everyone up, I finished off the last of the poutine for lunch. One must deal with temptation.  One can resist or one can cave. I caved.

0F5315E5-A95E-41D1-9526-F564CED7662D.thumb.jpeg.ad39e49987d647dba9605d3f556f9af8.jpeg

But damn it was good.   Should I ever feel a need for another serving of poutine from The Trough I will be sure to take at least six friends with me to share.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I often am in same position but in your case - so excellent the vision tasted good. That CSO is apprently magical ;)  I was imagining soggy stuff

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

This is a Roy Finamore recipe.  The fancy lid was my attempt to overcome the lack of a lid that actually fits that damn pan. I covered a splatter screen in foil but it still wasn’t quite large enough so then I dammed the gap with damp side towels and put a small lid on top to keep everything stable. If anyone has a better idea I’m open to suggestions.   This is a beautiful set of Biro pans  but in my opinion the designers  goofed when they didn’t make the lid for the Dutch oven also fit the sauté pan. 

I thought maybe it was some odd recipe that actually required the use of both towels and tin foil. Or maybe you were heating the tortillas while cooking the filling. Or some odd modernist bread proofing/baking. Ha. :laugh:

I think I would just have covered the top of the pan with tin foil and tucked it in around tightly enough to keep it in place but loose enough that you can remove it for stirring but still have it keep its shape. And put the splatter screen on top of it if necessary. If the pan's too wide for a single width of tin foil, I'd just overlap them a bit. But maybe I'm missing something. 

7 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

But maybe I'm missing something. 

I don’t think you’re missing much. I think I started out with an idea and then built on it instead of subtracting from it!   I did consider just using foil and had there been some heavy duty foil I might’ve gone that route. But it wasn’t going to work really well with the foil that is here. At least I didn’t think it would. The recipe required a fair amount of gentle stirring of the contents so I really needed something where I could just quickly lift it off and replace it.   Anyway it all worked out and caused at least a little bit of amusement which was the important point.:)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Anyway it all worked out and caused at least a little bit of amusement which was the important point.:)

After reading the background, it is pretty funny. Why make things easier when you can make them more complicated, right?  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

After reading the background, it is pretty funny. Why make things easier when you can make them more complicated, right?  :laugh:

My thoughts exactly. Efficiency is not all it’s cracked up to be.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Molasses Buns - a Newfoundland recipe

4F0AA4F8-BE08-4C06-9E63-161C6ABE9DBB.thumb.jpeg.0c475db27ead8efcbad5b3d44d518062.jpeg

More like cookies to me!

I saw the picture before I read any of the text and that's exactly what I thought... cookies! Then I read and discovered they are in fact buns... except the recipe seems awful similar to cookies. Silly Newfoundlanders calling cookies buns. :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I didn’t think the cocktail hour would ever get here tonight. But it did.

4A93495D-EDFA-49D2-AA4F-6CA3B0418BAF.thumb.jpeg.974819439ae34b7e79b78904ed44de84.jpeg

Averna Jimjam. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I didn’t think the cocktail hour would ever get here tonight. But it did.

4A93495D-EDFA-49D2-AA4F-6CA3B0418BAF.thumb.jpeg.974819439ae34b7e79b78904ed44de84.jpeg

Averna Jimjam. 

I really

like that little juicer...looks perfect for cocktails.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lindag said:

I really

like that little juicer...looks perfect for cocktails.

I noticed it also. Would like to admire it some more, can we get a better photo, maybe in use? Does it work well? 

59510C00-A30D-4AAB-B744-1D3EF19341BA.thumb.jpeg.5d13148a1fc8e56b633e0362ad9639ef.jpeg

It was a long, long evening!  At 10:00 we finally managed a bite to eat. Thank heaven for leftover steak for me. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

I noticed it also. Would like to admire it some more, can we get a better photo, maybe in use? Does it work well? 

5E3BDAA7-063A-4B0F-84DD-B56A48A838DB.thumb.jpeg.7357ee7c8f8a7e500e160f00c84abcba.jpegB1123EEB-F144-4BB4-9424-B471188EF775.thumb.jpeg.3647971a3798a4b48eb36ead20e787ec.jpeg

723E1E96-C0CB-430A-B2F8-E4CA5FFED1F0.thumb.jpeg.30799180dcfc1aba0ca40fffb2e6c09a.jpeg

Little Green and her brother Big Blue

BCEFC34C-29A3-4FD3-BE31-2F782C85C4A2.thumb.jpeg.272d7145460f467f3d2f8736224e9a45.jpeg

D8549DB6-0AF5-41AF-BF15-CA07D4117D54.thumb.jpeg.682b4e767511d1ff2b5c0d922e53e6e3.jpeg

• Like 10