• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

17 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@Anna NLovely cheese selection, question - do you eat the rind of that blue!? 

Also, the ratio of fruit:cheese is too high, needs more dairy! 😛

I’m rationing my blue cheese while upping my fruit intake. It’s a new diet I just invented.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

B4EA5A6C-AA37-44D9-B310-2CE093DA1FE5.thumb.jpeg.0841d5d56df2aecc3d26c02e74404a59.jpeg

As one does, this was stored with the liquor. Found just after I had vacuum sealed and frozen the steaks we’re not having tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

@Kerry Beal remember that you're cleaning out the condo after this trip and don't have room in the van.

Who says she doesn't? IIRC the first photo described the van as "lightly packed". <snicker>

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

thaw two out in cold water .

pat dry and go for it

before the refrigerator gets too full

unless its already too full

No of the PC  Id say

unless it comes in a really nice box

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yeah, I'll bet it's delicious, but young.

It was tight when opened, but after a 4h decant it was starting to open up a bit.

Pumped the remainders up, should be even better tonight.

What is the diff with 'Red Boat' FS, than say my 'Cock' brand FS?

....(its truly the brand of my FS)...!

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

What is the diff with 'Red Boat' FS, than say my 'Cock' brand FS?

About $15.  

DB947592-D0DF-4874-B323-244A9BC64DDC.thumb.jpeg.944e03012008605bf5545c786f3ca605.jpeg

Yes, I know the brand. It comes in big and little. This is the little...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thaw two out in cold water .

pat dry and go for it

before the refrigerator gets too full

unless its already too full

No of the PC  Id say

unless it comes in a really nice box

I think we will wait a few days. I’ll make sure there’s room in the refrigerator. Don’t think the PC comes in a nice box.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

We made a trip to the Flee Market this morning. Always good to catch up with the folks who work there.

IMG_0991.jpg.7b3dc1e834361e5d4ce1ca5c7726d969.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg.196ae232b5887e6212b65d0edf4a6095.jpg

Any thoughts on what whoever welded the bit on the front of this might have been thinking?

To hold sugar cubes and the absinthe spoon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6059B3DD-3D17-4E19-A10C-755D05B5B4A2.thumb.jpeg.c0ed8514164cb1e43b36659b736aa6e2.jpeg

I will leave you with a puzzlement. This is a side dish for dinner tonight.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

looked up " cook's brand " fish sauce as i had not heard of it

found this though ;

https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/

is CB brand $ 15 more than RB40 ?

RB40 is $ 4.49  ( 250 ml ) at Tj's     and $ 7.++ at WF  across the street

I was being a smarty-pants. Similar to “What’s the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?” – – about two weeks!

Edited to add:

Here  is a link to a taste test that includes the brand we are talking about. Cock brand. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

9D90D756-9973-48E5-9B21-A9D5ECD763F4.thumb.jpeg.f203bfc7cbd792c59063cfcdd006e573.jpeg

Rainbow Sour 

04BF18AF-DB1E-4E93-B812-BF3CBBABECED.thumb.jpeg.f73c041fa502665ccacae7d88fd60592.jpeg

Kira is enjoying one of the pastries we brought up that were made by @Alleguede

The same ones from the workshop - I’ve got private stock!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I do love the cocktails the LL's make

even though  I don't drink them

no particular reason

I did study Daiquiri's  for a bit some time ago

dark r(h)um ones

back then 

the really good r(h)um coast < 5 USD for 750

Barbancourt 5 star

and many from St martinique

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Couldn't you just borrow an autoclave?

Camelcamelcamel shows the 21 quart All-American was $87 new on amazon US fifteen months ago.  You might wait for prime day.

If I wanted this bad enough I'm sure I could pick it up for much less. The chocolate discount you know.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Similar to “What’s the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut?” – – about two weeks!

Which reminded me of my favorite: What's the difference between what a man will and and won't eat. 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I’m rationing my blue cheese while upping my fruit intake. It’s a new diet I just invented.

Interesting...my new diet is cocktail onions washed down with ice cold Absolut Peppar Vodka.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

While out cooking the steaks - the cruise ship wandered by.

E91AC9D2-C589-4B87-8E5A-F0EF0BB5CA9A.thumb.jpeg.41f3e307ffd81a93948360b4db75261e.jpeg

note how well two full sized strip loins fit on the mini BGE

C5CC97D5-8AC6-4F1A-AC9C-4C685E377BE8.thumb.jpeg.e35dae73d3f6aeb3d3167ce6f03ae04c.jpeg

B62E8ECB-D346-42D6-9479-759A1CE7E588.thumb.jpeg.5b5c3543fc712694833f2a749a0b3cf9.jpeg

Dinner - this might be the last green you see this trip - Broccoli Cooked Forever under the fancy lid!

• Like 14
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Probably baked potatoes under the aluminium foil?

Not even close. 😂

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Broccoli Cooked Forever under the fancy lid!

This is a Roy Finamore recipe.  The fancy lid was my attempt to overcome the lack of a lid that actually fits that damn pan. I covered a splatter screen in foil but it still wasn’t quite large enough so then I dammed the gap with damp side towels and put a small lid on top to keep everything stable. If anyone has a better idea I’m open to suggestions.   This is a beautiful set of Biro pans  but in my opinion the designers  goofed when they didn’t make the lid for the Dutch oven also fit the sauté pan. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

523B4D42-970B-40C2-AEC2-6098F536D5E2.thumb.jpeg.10a8801e7a95d672af215f112ef17432.jpeg

My dessert.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

04BF18AF-DB1E-4E93-B812-BF3CBBABECED.thumb.jpeg.f73c041fa502665ccacae7d88fd60592.jpeg

Kira is enjoying one of the pastries we brought up that were made by @Alleguede

The same ones from the workshop - I’ve got private stock! 

Would have been pretty funny if you'd been able to whip that out and put it on the plate next to those pastries they gave you in NY. :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Not even close. 😂

https://food52.com/recipes/15632-roy-finamore-s-broccoli-cooked-forever

really.

i am sorry I find it hard to want to like this.  Kinda like Brussels sprouts.

but, you obviously enjoyed it.  Kudos your way but I bet Kira didn’t like it!

i would never have guessed broccoli.

i am out 😬