• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’ve probably gotten my regions mixed up. I just found it somewhat annoying.  

*mental note to quash my "ya'll" if I ever meet Anna*  🤣🤣🤣

( you know I'm teasing you--my ya'll doesn't come out too awful much anyway ;) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

*mental note to quash my "ya'll" if I ever meet Anna*  

If it comes naturally to you I have no problem whatsoever. This just didn’t seem to belong somehow to the server or the region.  Was it an affectation?   Perhaps.  A habit she has picked up and is perhaps even unaware of?   Who knows.  I should be more generous and forgiving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

There are a lot of fries.  Ha, ha.  “I’ll have the sandwich, hold the bread” 🤪

I order sandwiches like that right regularly, particularly when ordering barbecue. A barbecue plate (meat, sides, Texas toast or roll) is usually too much meat, but not really enough to save for another meal. If I get a sandwich plate with no bun, it's just right on the meat portion.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

From the Manitoulin perspective, Jersey is Deep South xD

I've been known to say "youse" on occasion. Only ironically though.

In Pittsburgh they say "yinz" instead. Which is why Philly folk refer to our western brethren as yinzers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, kayb said:

A barbecue plate (meat, sides, Texas toast or roll) is usually too much meat

Is that possible, too much meat on a bbq plate? I always thought that was when you push the bread and sides to the edge of the plate and tell them you'll get back to them later if there's room. :P :D 

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Is that possible, too much meat on a bbq plate? I always thought that was when you push the bread and sides to the edge of the plate and tell them you'll get back to them later if there's room. :P :D 

What can I say? I like balance. If the beans and slaw are good.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

29 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here it is - after 21 hours in its 68.3 degree bath.

l762E3E1F-71CA-4949-9858-393173B95D5E.thumb.jpeg.92dcfa9fe7dd9989415fdad8cc6e7a2b.jpeg

How were the texture and flavor? Is this treatment (time and temperature) going into your collective notebook of treatments for beef shank?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

And I just presented me with this lovely chicken fight to munch on before I head out to work. No fighting required!

00726956-ACC3-4874-9AD4-007BA19A0135.thumb.jpeg.1e0aa21d86536386dee967d6bcb01e9c.jpeg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

Good morning.

C8B2A288-AB11-4B56-B971-A389849FB623.thumb.jpeg.3a090c07c69732e60008a071fc67de67.jpeg

Chicken soup. It’s what’s for breakfast doncha know.  The broth had set into a solid block of gelatinous goodness. 

Don’t expect it to be a particularly exciting day today. There are chores to be done.  Even on vacation clothes require laundering.

Kerry is working in town today.  She will be seeing people in the Manor in the morning and in the Little Current Clinic in the afternoon. 

At the moment dinner plans don’t require a great deal of effort. We are going to try Max Burt’s sausages.  Kira will have hers on a bun and Kerry and I will have some grilled with a side of roasted cauliflower.   Of course things could change in a heartbeat.  

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Smithy said:

How were the texture and flavor? Is this treatment (time and temperature) going into your collective notebook of treatments for beef shank?

I would have to call this an abject failure. Even as it was steaming away my instincts said this is just wrong. The temperature is far too high and the time far too long.  And then when I was ready to remove the shank from the vacuum bag the amount of liquid it had extruded confirmed that this was not going to be a juicy cut of meat.  It was quite tender but beyond that really a sad waste of a shank of beef. I’m hoping we can get a couple more and see if we can do better at a lower temperature for perhaps a longer time.

We need to go back to see Max this week because we have pork on order as he should have dispatched a pig yesterday. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I was going to suggest that both the time and temp for the shank was all wrong

but I thought Id let  you work it out.

the SVE boys are steak boys.

even those cooks need calibration.

their strength is in comparing # A to # B etc.

I can't imagine going over 145 for meat.

even that's a bit high .

as we know time will get you tender

suprise.gif.a03a80ceb75f568d9c26b99f26f4ec9c.gif

Im sorry it was a disappointment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Im sorry it was a disappointment 

No worries and most certainly not your fault. We are both big girls with many, many hours of experience doing meat sous vide. I usually look at at least a dozen recipes if I’m doing something new before deciding on the one to use. Perhaps I was just too tired to think it through. But there’s always another day and it’s not as if beef shank costs the moon.

Edited by Anna N
To remove a superfluous? And change meet to meat (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

No worries and most certainly not your fault. We are both big girls with many,?many hours of experience doing meet sous vide. I usually look at at least a dozen recipes if I’m doing something new before deciding on the one to use. Perhaps I was just too tired to think it through. But there’s always another day and it’s not as if beef shank costs the moon.

Lucky you. I can usually buy grilling steak on sale for less than shank, or any other braising cut.

...Which I realize would not be an issue for most people, but I like braises a lot more than I do steak.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've never had good luck with beef shank. I adore lamb and veal shank, but I've never been able to coaks the gelatinous goodness out of it. OOOPS - ETA: out of beef shank. Veal and lamb always wonderful

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Jaime Oliver had an Rx in his series

Jamie's Quick and Easy Food    Season 2 Episode 4

I couldn't find the Rx , but i think highly of J.O.

its a braise and Ill make it in the fall.

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Jaime Oliver had an Rx in his series

Jamie's Quick and Easy Food    Season 2 Episode 4

I couldn't find the Rx , but i think highly of J.O.

its a braise and Ill make it in the fall.

A braise was my first thought but I wanted to do something different so it got sous vided. I still want to see if is workable as sous vide. 

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Lucky you. I can usually buy grilling steak on sale for less than shank, or any other braising cut.

...Which I realize would not be an issue for most people, but I like braises a lot more than I do steak.

That beef shank was $6 something. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog