• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. Another beautiful day on the waterfront. Currently 21° heading for a high of 26°. I suspect it will get higher than that.

Yesterday, just when I thought I had finished for the day and was already in bed, I remembered that I needed to send the beef shank for a swim in the sous vide bath.  I am anal about getting it to temperature before I introduce the meat. Apparently that is not the way everyone does it. And the wait for that water to reach 68.3°C almost did me in!   Perhaps next time I will toss it in there and let it come to temperature along with the water. That makes me nervous.

Kerry has rounds this morning but once that is over with she is off for the rest of the day.  So far I have no plans. I am thinking about breakfast and it will probably be a poached egg on a slice of Kerry’s bread which I will toast in the CSO.  I will wait until Kerry has left to do that as she is in the kitchen making treats at the moment.

I always throw my meat in right when I'm starting the bath.  I haven't killed us yet :laugh:

• Like 4

How long will the beef shank be in that bath, Anna?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

How long will the beef shank be in that bath, Anna?

Until 5 PM this evening so give or take 20 hours.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

E939EF48-8A5B-4745-84D5-ECD4F976E84C.thumb.jpeg.68d12da946a66838e3ad83d26e370fdb.jpegFA621108-9C4C-47B0-9566-D63492AD4557.thumb.jpeg.a31a4bcdf2f3b558770fd0f9e0bfc7ec.jpeg

Breakfast is served. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So I’m sitting here enjoying my breakfast and wondering what the beep is that seems to be coming from the kitchen. I know I turned everything off in there but it’s very persistent. Eventually I get up off my derrière to investigate.

All appears well in the kitchen. There is nothing there that could be beeping. Perhaps I am hallucinating? 

Finally I clue in!   The water level in the sous vide bath (in the hallway) has fallen below the required amount.  The temperature has dropped only a couple of degrees as the circulator shut off. Added more water and we appear to be in business again. I should have fashioned some sort of lid I think to prevent so much evaporation!

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So I’m sitting here enjoying my breakfast and wondering what the beep is that seems to be coming from the kitchen. I know I turned everything off in there but it’s very persistent. Eventually I get up off my derrière to investigate.

All appears well in the kitchen. There is nothing there that could be beeping. Perhaps I am hallucinating? 

Finally I clue in!   The water level in the sous vide bath (in the hallway) has fallen below the required amount.  The temperature has dropped only a couple of degrees as the circulator shut off. Added more water and we appear to be in business again. I should have fashioned some sort of lid I think to prevent so much evaporation!

Yeah, those long cooks do that.  I throw some foil on top and that works.  

That same thing happened to me a while back.  I forget what I was making....anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night and could NOT figure out what was beeping incessantly downstairs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/6/2018 at 1:04 PM, heidih said:

I often am in same position but in your case - so excellent the vision tasted good. That CSO is apprently magical ;)  I was imagining soggy stuff

The CSO is assuredly magical.

On 7/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Kerry Beal said:

7877342E-6C76-43AB-9F3C-598526BBB1CC.thumb.jpeg.9eb2c9e4dc85449ff89c310230322dfd.jpeg

Here is what we got at Max’s

Max's looks like the kind of place I do not need to go in. "I'll have" one of each, please!

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ive always found that items are cheaper in Lbs.

and U.S. [vs imperial ] Gallons.

stuff in grams sounds like a drug deal to me

the collection of blue cheese is driving me crazy.

I may have to venture into a real cheese store soon.

Tj's has most of what I enjoy these days.

but if it itches , gotta scratch it.

87 F right now

too warm for a trip to TotalWine for Negroni fixin's

but soon

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

87 F right now

too warm for a trip to TotalWine for Negroni fixin'

It's 88 here at 9:20, will hit 100 today, the coolest day in the last 4. I will be going out into it. I'm so lucky.

• Sad 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

DCC6B927-249B-477D-A5B8-F3785CCAAB1B.thumb.jpeg.6a4654f9c6e68a43ac7d7f8d7a1dc7f3.jpeg

So here we are in downtown Espanola.  You can see the papermills in the distance. At least today it’s not stinky here.  But we are off-island and that means we could get into all kinds of trouble. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

DCC6B927-249B-477D-A5B8-F3785CCAAB1B.thumb.jpeg.6a4654f9c6e68a43ac7d7f8d7a1dc7f3.jpeg

So here we are in downtown Espanola.  You can see the papermills in the distance. At least today it’s not stinky here.  But we are off-island and that means we could get into all kinds of trouble. 

What happens in Espanola stays in Espanola.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Back from Espanola just in time for Kira to return from her days with the caregivers. 

We managed to do a fair bit of retail therapy but otherwise we stayed out of trouble. D2BA6809-92DE-40B7-AEC4-A771BF34B617.thumb.jpeg.e3243a86e91c71d3fe1bca19c9ceef01.jpeg644B915D-1EEE-4F5D-AAD7-CC60ACA3F3A1.thumb.jpeg.2184e6d3cc56e5ccfbae28a371ba3826.jpeg29F9F981-12BA-4328-8BAD-62394CC142FC.thumb.jpeg.1aa9b1899b682284c51d4dbe66316237.jpegF0946F76-937B-4AEF-8F5A-F06AAFC69B5D.thumb.jpeg.56ddf2618059681fcbaeb8b19ddc2d0d.jpeg

Kerry just had to have these little jars!

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

We had lunch at the Pinewood Motor Inn in Espanola (Click).  We both ordered the prime rib sandwich. I had mine with fries and gravy and Kerry chose to have hers with a Caesar salad.   At least this time there were croutons and I believe some dressing in the salad.    

Now I feel I have to tell you when I read the words “prime rib” on a menu this is what I visualize.  What arrived was something that I suspect closely resembles the burnt ends so  beloved by BBQ fans. Apparently our server, too,  thought that she came from the Deep South where such things might be appreciated. Her “youse” sort of grated on the nerves in Espanola.  But she was pleasant enough. The coleslaw was delicious and we ended up enjoying our lunch anyway as we always do.  

FE0777EC-65FA-4F5F-A37E-EFF06B277C61.thumb.jpeg.7ac35dd087067d2098ee9a1bed7726cb.jpeg

0C0872BF-2B31-4772-B540-9822F1B2A7C7.jpeg.fc781ae5c5d6032597f322fa0e962967.jpeg

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Apparently our server, too,  thought that she came from the Deep South where such things might be appreciated. Her “youse” sort of grated on the nerves in Espanola.

In the Deep South, that "youse" would be a "y'all". "Youse" sounds more Jersey. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

27 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

In the Deep South, that "youse" would be a "y'all". "Youse" sounds more Jersey. :D

I’ve probably gotten my regions mixed up. I just found it somewhat annoying.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Your prime rib sandwich looks like what is called beef dip in these parts.

A beef dip is a beef dip and a prime rib sandwich is a different animal in my books!  Kerry has a somewhat different take. Any way it a moot point—neither of us ate the bun. :o

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog