• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

After doing a couple of loads of laundry, packing a bit of my stuff to go home, I realized Ivwas damned hungry. So hungry I forgot a photo until I had already eaten half my lunch!  

805FC880-3DC4-464D-81CB-D6A9745CE0F6.thumb.jpeg.48767852130c81030099377f1995b61a.jpeg

Found two bread heels in the freezer. I toasted them, added some cheddar and sliced timatoes and called it lunch!   

Add a smear of mayo and that would be what I had for lunch most of my childhood summers.  I rarely find a tomato these days that holds up to my memories of NC tomatoes picked and eaten still warm from the garden.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9

yes indeed

a warm tomato , perfectly ripe, picked from your own garden 

is a true delight.

I used to grow 24 tomato plants, in home made wire cages , soaker-hose watered , under a black plastic sheet

8 per row.  that's what a ' snaked 'soaker hose would cover well.

I started the seeds indoor in late jan.   moved the seedlings to 1 liter plastic jugs that had been band-sawed top to bottom and

re-sealed w clear packing tape.  the tomats when planted had a packed 1 liter ' root-ball '  and were 3 ft tall

they were plated on their sides w just the tip showing , as tomatoes root from their stem

i could hear them grow !

those were the days !

the local squirrels thought the same thing.

but there was enough to go around.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Good morning.  It is 17°C and cloudy. We won’t get much above 23° for our last full day. 

Kerry found a real treat in the freezer:

92D232E5-FA75-42C3-9A52-87175E75FD02.thumb.jpeg.fa5b65a04173d3bb3a05d4758f056bc0.jpeg

I don’t usually like sweets this early in the morning but I’ll always make an exception for a kouign-amann (courtesy of @Alleguede.  

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Kerry found a real treat in the freezer:

I don’t usually like sweets this early in the morning but I’ll always make an exception for a kouign-amann (courtesy of @Alleguede.  

What a magical freezer you have....

I have been enjoying your visit on the Island and I am not looking forward to it ending....hope you get to return again soon!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Beth Wilson said:

What a magical freezer you have....

I have been enjoying your visit on the Island and I am not looking forward to it ending....hope you get to return again soon!

Indeed it is a freezer that keeps on giving. Glad you have enjoyed our visit. Time will tell regarding the return.

No matter how good the KA was it would not serve as nourishment for the day. 

I managed to cobble together a slice of bread from the magical freezer, the last remaining kumato and an egg. BA8BA8CC-DCC0-455D-BA69-7571775C96E8.thumb.jpeg.861506cb25f3043a706cd6bef8007689.jpeg

By no means the prettiest plate but it was tasty. 

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, Tri2Cook said:

I always like when people who like something I don't like try to find a way to make me like it. "Well if you cook it until it's black and crunchy, melt half a pound of cheese on it, douse it in lots of mustard and hot sauce,  wrap it in six layers of swiss chard and tuck it in a well toasted pita, it's actually not bad." :D

Like speaking louder and more slowly so someone who doesn't speak your language can then understand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7CEC828C-4181-4C99-9756-536D1CA41C44.thumb.jpeg.ff27cd9766e8e06c2908414ae597a087.jpeg

9745D81E-AE05-4C84-83F4-B7C4CA3B6E0F.thumb.jpeg.f9a96caef972d96688041e9f2b360975.jpeg

The packing is progressing. Sort of....😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner tonight was catch as catch can. Kerry had some cottage cheese and I had some leftover steak and kimchi. 

9CD66639-00C8-47BA-B152-58E009669A2D.thumb.jpeg.29eebfcf1634608d755661044cc866f5.jpeg

And the packing continues. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

As so many have said,  I will miss your annual summer trip!  But knowing you two, I suspect we have not heard the last of them by any means.

It is just the end of a chapter, not an entire book!  Safe trip home for the three of you.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

P.S.:

1 ) safe trip home

2) thank you both for bringing us  ( i.e. me ) along

3} looking forward to your next trip , once it all gets sorted out.

Ditto this for me.

As I've said for years...when this blog and trip is over, summer feels likes it's coming to a close for me.  

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I will be feeling no pain tonight. After two glasses of wine and an aged negroni you had all better hope I can make it to bed under my own steam.  Because Kerry doesn’t have anything left in terms of strength to carry me she has done all the packing.   Well most of it she just reminded me.   There are still things coming out of the woodwork need to be packed.  

EAA06306-3443-4AFF-A309-3C8B2C66C620.jpeg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog