• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I always like when people who like something I don't like try to find a way to make me like it. "Well if you cook it until it's black and crunchy, melt half a pound of cheese on it, douse it in lots of mustard and hot sauce,  wrap it in six layers of swiss chard and tuck it in a well toasted pita, it's actually not bad." :D

I'm turning 65 next month. I have a lifetime of trying curries and KNOW that curries and I don't get along. I've had the "have you tried ..." responses here on egullet. My response has been and still is, "I love such a wide variety of food types and I don't 'suffer from Mal-nutrition'  so why should I keep trying to like something that doesn't agree with my digestive tract?"

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just for the record:  the shrimp were tossed in oil, salt and pepper and roasted at 400° F x 5 mins on convection bake in the Cuisinart steam oven with the shelf in the toast position. 

I will try to retain this valuable info--truly they look SO good--but I reserve the right to ask you again at a later date how you did them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, gfweb said:

poutine has penetrated Pennsylvania. 

Its better than Frito Pie. 

Oh, now the challenge has been laid down. Better than Frito pie? Having never tried poutine (I can't get past the gravy), I will attest to Frito pie. Particularly when the chili is ladled into the bag that has been split open on one side, and liberal amounts of shredded Cheddar added. Like they do it at Sonic and FrostyTop, those centers of Southern culinary excellence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

Oh, now the challenge has been laid down. Better than Frito pie? Having never tried poutine (I can't get past the gravy), I will attest to Frito pie. Particularly when the chili is ladled into the bag that has been split open on one side, and liberal amounts of shredded Cheddar added. Like they do it at Sonic and FrostyTop, those centers of Southern culinary excellence.

*high five*

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm told that a proper frito pie involves opening the bag from the bottom, where all the salt and crumbled bits are, and putting the chili and cheese in thru the back door. 

This southern Californian hasn't made it over to the local Sonic, nor the ones I see in my travels around the state. Now if they wanted to add poutine, well-made poutine, to their menu that would get me in there. I really, really want to try poutine. Unfortunately, the life I am living at the moment doesn't allow for traipsing over to the other side of greater LA to seek it out.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I think good poutine is all about ratios and doneness.  (Not that I've had good poutine, ever. What do I know?) The amount of cheese curd and gravy...the crispness of the fries. I'd make sure the fries were done enough to not turn into mush with the gravy. And too much gravy is bad. And too little curd is bad.

I think I'd toss the curds with the gravy and add that to well seasoned and a touch overcooked potatoes and maybe a little well salted gravy on top. 

So so where do you get cheese curd in the US?

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I think good poutine is all about ratios and doneness.  (Not that I've had good poutine, ever. What do I know?) The amount of cheese curd and gravy...the crispness of the fries. I'd make sure the fries were done enough to not turn into mush with the gravy. And too much gravy is bad. And too little curd is bad.

I think I'd toss the curds with the gravy and add that to well seasoned and a touch overcooked potatoes and maybe a little well salted gravy on top. 

Wisconsin!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

There's farmer's market about 15 miles west of where I live (no great shakes distance-wise) at which a vendor has them. Unfortunately, my schedule says that it would be at least November before i could get over there again, if they're still having it at that time of year.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Canada is closer

It's even hard here to get nice fresh curds. There is a cheese monger that I pass on my way to work that brings fresh curd from Quebec every Saturday morning - sadly I go by before they are open and after they close so I haven't managed to get the fresh stuff from them yet.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It's even hard here to get nice fresh curds. There is a cheese monger that I pass on my way to work that brings fresh curd from Quebec every Saturday morning - sadly I go by before they are open and after they close so I haven't managed to get the fresh stuff from them yet.

So what defines a good poutine?

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

So what defines a good poutine?

Best poutine I ever had was in St Hyacinth Quebec after a course I was taking at Callebaut. The fries were wonderfully crispy, the curds white and extremely squeaky and the gravy relatively light (chicken gravy I suspect). 

• Like 3

So, Kerry and Anna, what can we expect for your last few days? Cleaning out the fridge? Any adventures planned? As always, it has been a delight. Thanks for taking us along. It's my only "vacation" this summer:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Just now, Chocolot said:

So, Kerry and Anna, what can we expect for your last few days? Cleaning out the fridge? Any adventures planned? As always, it has been a delight. Thanks for taking us along. It's my only "vacation" this summer:)

Attempts to bake with all my stuff packed away? No adventures I'm afraid - though there might be a few things in the fridge that qualify!

• Like 3

Good morning. It’s gray and dreary again today but at least we are not facing the heat and humidity in Burlington and Oakville. The high today will not exceed 23°C according to the forecast. (My son who lives in Burlington tells me that the forecast is for perception of 40°C with the humidity.)

E756397A-43C4-42A7-98F7-8D9634CFD094.thumb.jpeg.f5ec8a17b206d8f0322a48044a154595.jpeg

Kerry made breakfast for me this morning as well as for her self. I was most appreciative.   She will be heading off to the hospital shortly but at least she has something in her system to hold her for a few hours if things become messy over there.

Things are about to become very messy over here. As most of you know we are coming to the end of our time on Manitoulin for this year. I suggested to Kerry that we call tomorrow Great Upheaval Day with apologies to the Acadians after whom the New Brunswick commemorative day is named. link

We will be packing not only the stuff we brought up and must take home but everything in the condominium that belongs to Kerry (to be truthful Kerry will be packing and I will be watching!). She will pack it all in boxes and leave it here until a decision is made as to its further disposition. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. It’s gray and dreary again today but at least we are not facing the heat and humidity in Burlington and Oakville. The high today will not exceed 23°C according to the forecast. (My son who lives in Burlington tells me that the forecast is for perception of 40°C with the humidity.)

E756397A-43C4-42A7-98F7-8D9634CFD094.thumb.jpeg.f5ec8a17b206d8f0322a48044a154595.jpeg

Kerry made breakfast for me this morning as well as for her self. I was most appreciative.   She will be heading off to the hospital shortly but at least she has something in her system to hold her for a few hours if things become messy over there.

Things are about to become very messy over here. As most of you know we are coming to the end of our time on Manitoulin for this year. I suggested to Kerry that we call tomorrow Great Upheaval Day with apologies to the Acadians after whom the New Brunswick commemorative day is named. link

We will be packing not only the stuff we brought up and must take home but everything in the condominium that belongs to Kerry (to be truthful Kerry will be packing and I will be watching!). She will pack it all in boxes and leave it here until a decision is made as to its further disposition. 

I hit the like button for the breakfast, not the packing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Great lòoking eggs.  You can really tell that they are fresh farm eggs.  We are going to a farm tomorrow to stock up.  They are almost an hour away but the trip is worth it.  

If my luck holds I won’t have to give up farm fresh eggs when I get home. Kerry brings them to me on a fairly regular basis. I am so spoiled now that I hate buying supermarket eggs on the odd occasion when it becomes necessary. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

That may call for TWO cocktails.

I expect to be looking at the same eventuality, hopefully by Christmas, more likely by next spring. Sigh. It was 55 boxes of books, last time. I shudder to think what it may have grown to.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

That may call for TWO cocktails.

I was thinking more like an opportunity to empty the whole bar at once.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

038EE747-18B8-44A4-98C4-5DA17F5DD984.thumb.jpeg.926c9e1f67a5ed80e573da7eeb1496c6.jpeg

Kerry got a short break from the hospital and is now hurriedly attempting to take photographs while we have this lovely overcast sky. You do have to admire her set up.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog