• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

I have not pictured any scrapple. I don’t eat scrapple. The only thing that I have pictured recently is poutine. It doesn’t need a coating.  Is usually served in a box if you get it to take away.:biggrin::biggrin:  I think somebody is playing with your head space. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna roasted me up some shrimps,  I added some leftover cooked sugarsnaps, some parmasan, cream, butter and pepper - a bit of garlic - on shiritake noodles 

430CFFAC-4365-477A-A357-906F2BA370DE.thumb.jpeg.2a6e05fe1dccce135c7ecef223b871ca.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Byrrh

I wanted to boo that for being a little too pun-ny… but I couldn't, it's actually kinda clever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

I wanted to boo that for being a little too pun-ny… but I couldn't, it's actually kinda clever.

I made Anna listen to the song - wasn't her style!

• Haha 8

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the song reference.

When we were going to Newfoundland a friend of mine whose family came from there kept urging me to have poutine.  WHY?  I live in the land of disco fries - fries, brown gravy and shredded mozzarella.  I hate gloppy, soft fries and mozzarella or cheese curds with gloppy fries and gravy have no interest for me.   Sorry all

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Mom, who was from Pennsylvania Dutch country loved Scrapple.  My Dad, however, was from the Deep South.

So we never had Scrapple at home; in fact, I have never tasted it.  There is still time though.

In the Deep South (well, really, the Mid-South), we didn't have scrapple, but we had either "souse meat" or "head cheese," which was pretty much the same thing, except I don't remember it having any filler (cornmeal or oatmeal) in it.

I didn't like it, either.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

0AC7840F-5ECA-49E4-82EC-3836688447EB.thumb.jpeg.98ed45b6d396d6b14716c68890e1b48c.jpeg

While Kerry feasted on shrimp, I enjoyed the last piece of picanha. I was a bit far gone on the cocktail so balance was out of the question - both physically and nutritionally. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I have not pictured any scrapple. I don’t eat scrapple. The only thing that I have pictured recently is poutine. It doesn’t need a coating.  Is usually served in a box if you get it to take away.:biggrin::biggrin:  I think somebody is playing with your head space. :biggrin:

I know, LOL, I corrected myself when I edited the post!  I just googled it because I don't know what poutine is, and since you didn't enjoy that one, what's it supposed to be like?  Does the sauce change or does it change depending on where you go?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

I know, LOL, I corrected myself when I edited the post!  I just googled it because I don't know what poutine is, and since you didn't enjoy that one, what's it supposed to be like?  Does the sauce change or does it change depending on where you go?

The fries need to be crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside and sturdy enough to stand up to the cheese curds and the gravy. The curds need to be so fresh they squeak.  The gravy needs to be made from cows not chemicals.  The basics are the same. It’s the execution that counts.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Bit of a storm rolled in to wet down Goat Island so there are no fires for the fireworks this evening 

595D55AF-6017-4529-BDBF-01E7B95BC7FE.thumb.jpeg.2217746b77a90fff976afb6429c2abbc.jpeg

244B8C81-26AA-4881-B4E5-A0E3537722D1.thumb.jpeg.400899267d0510d71ccc50c4b8135468.jpeg

E0EDC94D-CFD2-4B51-8F46-0CB472BBB7A7.thumb.jpeg.5d4f63563193e73e06e49ef503485689.jpeg

5798033E-4380-40BB-A28A-EF4D629E0AD8.thumb.jpeg.945c540101019b1f5897b9486aaf4b24.jpeg

C814FF21-F31F-4F49-B005-FB794488D11A.thumb.jpeg.86c7a8b5716f37cefc305dd54ce53863.jpeg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the song reference.

When we were going to Newfoundland a friend of mine whose family came from there kept urging me to have poutine.  WHY?  I live in the land of disco fries - fries, brown gravy and shredded mozzarella.  I hate gloppy, soft fries and mozzarella or cheese curds with gloppy fries and gravy have no interest for me.   Sorry all

I agree with you 100%.

44 minutes ago, kayb said:

In the Deep South (well, really, the Mid-South), we didn't have scrapple, but we had either "souse meat" or "head cheese," which was pretty much the same thing, except I don't remember it having any filler (cornmeal or oatmeal) in it.

Head cheese YES. Scrapple NO. 

Here is a particularly intriguing recipe for head cheese 

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, kayb said:

Love headcheese.  My mother used to make it, although I have to admit that when the pig's head was brought home I was glad when they removed the eyes.  I always thought there was something spooky about looking at those dead eyes.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I made Anna listen to the song - wasn't her style!

I wanted a cocktail called Gold, Frankincense and Byrrh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Those shrimp look perfect.

Just for the record:  the shrimp were tossed in oil, salt and pepper and roasted at 400° F x 5 mins on convection bake in the Cuisinart steam oven with the shelf in the toast position. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Bit of a storm rolled in to wet down Goat Island so there are no fires for the fireworks this evening

It was supposed to do that here all weekend. Instead it all divided and passed by us to the north and the south but never actually hit us. So instead I got to spend the entire weekend with the pounding sinus headache I usually get to forecast incoming weather that generally gets relieved when the rain or snow arrives. Only the rain never arrived.

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Head cheese YES. Scrapple NO.

I'll refrain from adding goetta to the mix other than to say my grandfather loved it and I like it well enough but not enough to make it very often.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'll refrain from adding goetta to the mix other than to say my grandfather loved it and I like it well enough but not enough to make it very often.

Thought “goetta” was a typo brought on by your sinus headache.  Decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and googled it. Doesn’t sound like much of an improvement on scrapple. 

From Wikipedia:

Goetta is a meat-and-grain sausage or mush of German inspiration that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area. It is primarily composed of ground meat, pin-head oats and spices.

The “mush” doesn’t really sound all that appealing.  But it's possible I’m being too judgmental. Neither scrapple nor mush are words that excite my appetite. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But it's possible I’m being too judgmental.

Probably not. It's not much more exciting than it sounds. When I make it myself, I use my homemade breakfast sausage for the meat part and spice it to compliment the sausage so it's not particularly traditional in taste but it is less boring. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, curls said:

Kerry, what did you fillings did you put in those chocolates?

Some where just solid - but the domes were gianduja made with praline, milk chocolate and feullitine.

• Like 1