• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

11 hours ago, suzilightning said:

and then there was the adult red tailed hawk that got too close to the eagle nest at Duke Farms here in NJ.   He became lunch and a snack for the young eaglets.

Duke is not far from here.  At the library in the springtime we watch the Duke eaglecam.  That hawk deserved a Darwin award.  And last I looked the film clip was still there...but right now I couldn't find it.

This is probably it:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Bald-Eagle-Defend-Nest-Hawk-Duke-Farms-Video-200608201.html

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've been on call since 6 pm today - I spent about 2 1/2 hours at the hospital sorting a few things out - drove back down to the dock the sailor who had forgotten to put on his boat shoes and went up on a wet deck earlier this morning (3 broken ribs). Since then for some reason I went down the rabbit hole and have been going back through my very first blog from Manitoulin here. I think it might have been a picture or something that led me back there - but it's been 2 hours and I'm finally back to 2018. 

I've had a couple of calls since then - but nothing I've had to go back in for - so I'm hoping for a civilized night. Saturday of Haweater weekend that can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Thanks so much for the link to your first blog. So much backstory that I missed.

Good morning. Going to be a hot one but still cooler than at home:  28°C vs 32°C. 

Kerry spent much of the night in the ER so we are moving slowly today. 

Breakfast was a simple toasted omelet: 

97B3E24F-A43A-4BFF-A5A9-0C3BDCBA41E2.thumb.jpeg.5b1888f5305fdfe5086ef686d4856278.jpeg

I did make some rather sad looking pot stickers yesterday. 

386CA1B4-11C5-49D1-915D-CC0B6BEB3521.thumb.jpeg.4b7e079a6e0a40f18c5c921759bbd727.jpeg

Far too large and the wrappers were too thick!  Oh well. We ate them anyway. The filling of shrimp and pork was tasty. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We had this crazy idea that we would go into town for lottery tickets and grab some lunch at Elliott’s (which recently re-opened after a fire). The number of cars in the parking lot suggested this was not the best idea. 

Kerry did a quick u-turn and we grabbed lottery tickets but not before snapping this just for you!

B5A26DE1-284D-48DA-8E96-EDEAEBAB99A2.jpeg.57112b8267153890bf024d92f5cff3ad.jpeg

All ready for the parade!

We then grabbed poutine for me from here

38BB6FD3-56AF-4FE1-8DEB-D2800FA121EF.jpeg.5ff9798c48bc4ec8e28e146f492ac9d6.jpeg

459B619E-B323-4D45-B420-2C8B9633B4F3.jpeg.ac5bc0ed393ec63a0472b669f6d93e0d.jpeg

before hightailing it home ahead of the parade. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Someday I hope to try Top Notch Poutine.

maybe w a side of Scrapple 

for perspetive.

why do I mention these two ?

neither seems to have traveled very far.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

for perspetive.

This was a long, long way from any sort of Top Notch anything!  You can’t win them all. 

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

that's why I stipulated ' Top Notch '

Ive had TN Scrapple

I hope you are not suggesting there is no TNP ?

There is indeed top notch poutine and I believe it’s even available somewhere on the Island. This just wasn’t it.   As for top notch scrapple — that,  like miltary intelligence,  is an oxymoron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Sad , so very Sad

@Anna N

you have not had TNS.

that being said , 

although the Jones refrigerated or Fz is quite good 

if   one knows how to prepare it.

but the very best I guessing can only be obtained in the Philadelphia Area

there are several fresh versions and refrigerated etc

i was fortunate to live in the area

some time ago

for three months.

I knew about Scrapple

as my father fried it on occasion for Sunday after church eats.

he was a fan

as am I.

Mom, who was from Pennsylvania Dutch country loved Scrapple.  My Dad, however, was from the Deep South.

So we never had Scrapple at home; in fact, I have never tasted it.  There is still time though.

• Like 1

I just read Kerry’s first blog post.  Very well done indeed.

The story about not being allowed to swerve to avoid hitting a deer reminded me of an incident last year.  It happened on a very narrow road along a lake.  A driver hit a deer which bounced off the car into the lap of a cyclist travelling on the other side of the road.  What are the chances of that...the cyclist was injured quite badly.  The driver had nowhere to go.

• Like 1

@lindag

since you are in Big Sky

look fior Jomes Scrapple

it will be Fz

scrapple-16oz.png.8e41aab34d4f0a20a6a7535fe0708d93.png

would you find it , PM me

or maybe we might start a very short Scrapple Tread ?

it seems like Im taking over this thread 

No No No

Im trying 

to educate

the LunchLadies

nothing more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

for perspetive.

Well, in the last few decades poutine has traveled from small-town Quebec all  the way across Canada, and made hesitant inroads into the States. Quebec to Vancouver is...I dunno, 4000km? Pretty far, from my perspective. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im trying 

to educate

the LunchLadies

nothing more.

The Lunch Ladies have tried scrapple in Pennsylvania Dutch country no less and declared it unfit for human consumption.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The Lunch Ladies have tried scrapple in Pennsylvania Dutch country no less and declared it unfit for human consumption.

Cook it longer.

I actually like scrapple.  It's just that I don't like the idea of scrapple.

The brand I was partial to was Hatfield:

http://www.hatfieldqualitymeats.com/our-products/product-detail/scrapple

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cook it longer.

We were eating in a restaurant. 

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We were eating in a restaurant. 

I always like when people who like something I don't like try to find a way to make me like it. "Well if you cook it until it's black and crunchy, melt half a pound of cheese on it, douse it in lots of mustard and hot sauce,  wrap it in six layers of swiss chard and tuck it in a well toasted pita, it's actually not bad." :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

I always like when people who like something I don't like try to find a way to make me like it. "Well if you cook it until it's black and crunchy, melt half a pound of cheese on it, douse it in lots of mustard and hot sauce,  wrap it in six layers of swiss chard and tuck it in a well toasted pita, it's actually not bad." :D

Well put!:D:D

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Pennsylvania Dutch country "

is more or less a tourist trap.

just saying 

nice quilts

if you have an eye for Top Notch Stiching

TNS

P.S.:

""  We were eating in a restaurant. "

A Ha

they did want to move you along

and didn't cook it properly

my guess.

Scrapple takes longer to cook properly than one might think.

I dont mind

would not want it to travel further.

So , maybe our Western Canadiene's Friends might review

Poutine in Vancouver ?

doubt the Top most Top

but looking forward to current evaluations.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@Anna N why was the scrapple in  box, without even a coating or something to protect the food from the box or vice versa?  I myself have never had scrapple so I don't know what I'm looking at.  Besides gravy, I think....

ETA For crying out loud  I can't even read correctly today: poutine! not scrapple.   I still have never had either one though....

Edited by JeanneCake (log)
  • Like 1