• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

7 hours ago, patris said:

I got obsessed with those volcano chocolates the first time I saw them on @kriz6912's Instagram, so I bought that mold. I do like it, but it has its issues. It's super shallow, so it doesn't hold a whole lot of filling (and my shelling technique is doubleplusungood, so I consistently fail to maximize any mold's potential), and I find it very difficult to scrape excess off when it's filled and backed - the pieces want to slide right out. Makes a lovely bonbon, though.

Golf tees stuck in styrofoam do the trick for holding the piece while you drizzle the chocolate over - @kriz6912 posted video of the technique in some detail.

I think the reason I never jumped into it is I was merely interested, not obsessed. Not enough to buy specific molds anyway... and the idea of just using something I already have never occurred to me until Kerry pointed it out. Also, how to package them so they don't get damaged seemed like a potential difficulty if I decided I liked doing them.

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks for that about the golf tees - couldn’t remember where I’d seen it so was winging it and now I’ve got holes in them!

That's probably where I saw it as well. I don't follow him on Instagram but that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't see it. If he posted it here in the forums, I very well may have watched it and filed it away in my head... which isn't always a reliably safe place for me to store information.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Do you-all have the PODS for storage up there? It's a service where they deliver you a storage pod, and you load it up and call them. They pick it up and deliver you to wherever you want it, and then you unload it. Even if you don't have anywhere workable at home to keep the stuff, you may have better luck finding climate-controlled storage on the mainland.

Not available here - I’ve seen them at home.

• Like 2

6C294002-B78B-40B4-B373-9051B07AE934.thumb.jpeg.61d23802141fb06d217a691c83e03ec4.jpeg

Seen on the way to work

9B59DC9B-C2AA-4EEB-A851-D1478AF34C8B.thumb.jpeg.aa6edd3ba6e4e23e1e97c0c945a6ab22.jpeg

Guts of a Clubhouse Sub for lunch

39C54C5A-DC09-4D27-B1D6-65AB23909A44.thumb.jpeg.a35947bb8217184f1603b5fb3971bee5.jpeg

wandered down to the Wiki waterfront with the medical student - we also wandered around the Pow Wow grounds pre opening tomorrow 

• Like 15

Just now, gfweb said:

Juvenile osprey?

Not sure - saw it yesterday turned the other way - white chest, white 'socks' - it's got tufts on each side of it's head. Looked juvenile what ever it is. Was right next to an eagles nest on top of a telephone pole.

CC54ED89-78F4-4A1C-B536-149C3A7DABA9.thumb.jpeg.3e3a94bdca2389e3dce438b8b828e402.jpeg

Pork laarb. A team effort. I was sous-chef. Kerry cooked. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good mmorning. The sunshine has returned for Haweater Weekend. 

D84C3692-B544-4FB8-B934-01F0FC00B6BD.thumb.jpeg.137b365dee6e1b9e8dc3e511dae80f4a.jpeg

Breakfast is a toasted BLT (beef leftovers and tomato). 

Was thinking about making some potstickers today but need to check on the  condition of the “way past BB” wrappers. If they are still malleable I am set. Otherwise I will need to find an alternate use for the 300 g of ground pork I defrosted in error yesterday. Stay tuned. 

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

Juvenile osprey?

I think it's a juvenile eagle.  I doubt an eagle would let an osprey hang out near its nest.

We watch with fascination the eagles and their eaglets that live in the U.S. National Arboretum, located in Washington, D.C.  The couple, dubbed Mr. President and The First Lady, have successful raised many kids. This year, there is a problem with one of them, and that one is now in a rehab center.

Evidently, the adult eagles will go near osprey nests, to steal their food.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Juvenile osprey?

It certainly looks like a juvenile osprey to me.

We have both osprey and bald eagles around here.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It certainly looks like a juvenile osprey to me.

We have both osprey and bald eagles around here.

Its smaller than an eagle and looks like a dark beak...not yellow like an eagle's.

Ospreys will nest on a phone pole. Eagles like it higher up, IIRC, like a big high tension power line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Ospreys will nest on a phone pole.

Yes, they set-up poles with a platform on top—close to lakes— for them to nest.

ETA: Some photos my aunt snapped.

Here, here, and here.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unfortunately, adult eagles will do more than steal food from osprey nests--they will carry away the young ospreys to feed their own young. Two years ago both chicks were taken from the nest on Hog Island, Maine, to the horror of the many people watching on a webcam at the time. The past year the osprey pair hatched 3 chicks, 2 of which were taken during the night by great horned owls and the third was so badly damaged by the attack that it now lives permanently in a rehab center. This year, only one of the three chicks has survived to fledge. The parent birds have been forced to fight both eagles and owls to protect their young. Nature red in tooth and claw indeed.

Sorry to introduce such a downer to this topic--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

If they are still malleable I am set. 

Well the gyoza wrappers might’ve been malleable but the mould kind of put me off. :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Here, here, and here.

Great photos! Your aunt is a wonderful photographer and definitely has better equipment than we do.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

42 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Here, here, and here.

WOW!

Those eyes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Unfortunately, adult eagles will do more than steal food from osprey nests--they will carry away the young ospreys to feed their own young. Two years ago both chicks were taken from the nest on Hog Island, Maine, to the horror of the many people watching on a webcam at the time. The past year the osprey pair hatched 3 chicks, 2 of which were taken during the night by great horned owls and the third was so badly damaged by the attack that it now lives permanently in a rehab center. This year, only one of the three chicks has survived to fledge. The parent birds have been forced to fight both eagles and owls to protect their young. Nature red in tooth and claw indeed.

Sorry to introduce such a downer to this topic--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Oh, yeah.....

juve osprey for sure.

I remember the Hog Island incident and then there was the adult red tailed hawk that got too close to the eagle nest at Duke Farms here in NJ.   He became lunch and a snack for the young eaglets.  Actually the owls are almost worse that the eagles in predating young birds.....and that included an entire pen of pheasants on the Arsenal up here.

I also, in 20 years of hawkgawking, twice had Bald Eagle pirate fish from osprey - including one that FINALLY caught the dropped fish about 30 above our head.  The guy who had stopped to ask what was going on was swearing up a blue streak and couldn't believe WHAT he was seeing.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Well the gyoza wrappers might’ve been malleable but the mould kind of put me off. :blink:

I suppose one must have standards... 

:P

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So trying to get this topic back on track . Even though I love the birds!  Attempting now to make my own wrappers.  As a fallback position I can turn the filling into pork and shrimp balls. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

So trying to get this topic back on track . Even though I love the birds!  Attempting now to make my own wrappers.  As a fallback position I can turn the filling into pork and shrimp balls. 

You can also always use lettuce leaves as meatball wrappers...if you have lettuce leaves on hand.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've been on call since 6 pm today - I spent about 2 1/2 hours at the hospital sorting a few things out - drove back down to the dock the sailor who had forgotten to put on his boat shoes and went up on a wet deck earlier this morning (3 broken ribs). Since then for some reason I went down the rabbit hole and have been going back through my very first blog from Manitoulin here. I think it might have been a picture or something that led me back there - but it's been 2 hours and I'm finally back to 2018. 

I've had a couple of calls since then - but nothing I've had to go back in for - so I'm hoping for a civilized night. Saturday of Haweater weekend that can be a bit of a crapshoot.

• Like 7