• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don’t eat a lot of kerchup  so this is  pure nostalgia.  I know I have mentioned before that when we new recruits did not make it to the mess hall in time for breakfast ketchup on toast was our fallback.

Funny story about that. A co-worker was in the Ottawa area a few weeks ago for his kid's college graduation and they ate breakfast at some little place that was touting it's house made this and artisanal that which was the appeal that got him in the door. A little tray of house-made jellies and jams was placed on the table. He opted for the strawberry jam on his toast... which turned out to be house-made ketchup. He didn't seem to share your enthusiasm for the combination. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Using the new tripod for a few more pics

1DFDC409-5035-4BEC-A396-D04582F96EF5.thumb.jpeg.b948847ea96f924087de010ae9983851.jpeg

12775BD1-E260-431B-8AF8-C2857986B90B.thumb.jpeg.087dab1b3c5aa76a14ac4b835727c6c6.jpeg

3DFB7178-6C3C-4811-838A-355C1AE8241C.thumb.jpeg.75a5f44f396ab2e72797b4405eb1ade9.jpeg

C68639B7-6136-4791-B44C-9160A035777D.thumb.jpeg.776eb2c1c878560bed0dc9d44e138271.jpeg

Nice! I've wanted to give those a try but I haven't yet been able to convince myself to buy the molds. I can't envision using them for anything else besides those so if I'm not happy doing them, the molds become dust collectors.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

0EC4185E-374E-4317-8960-3AA6D679ADFE.thumb.jpeg.16f533aabf770f31b3e3422703962ff6.jpeg

This also caught my eye today although I have seen it many times. Location location location. If you were dentist situate yourself right next to the bank.

It’s in downtown Little Current.  

Here in Saint John, the Weight Watchers storefront is located in a strip mall, right between a Mary Brown's Chicken and a Harvey's (a burger chain, for those of you Stateside). I keep meaning to take a pic of that...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I can't say for sure that it has *never* happened, but I can say for sure that in two or three deep dives I've been unable to locate any kind of authoritative source that names a specific instance of it happening and/or being verified. It's always been someone's brother, or a restaurant in the next county, or a guy who used to work with a guy who said...

It's quite astounding, really. You'll even see it in a chart of common substitutions posted on the FDA's website, but you'll prowl the site in vain for any actual documentation to back that up. Or at least I have.

Some day, you'll have to come to one of NYC's Chinatowns. You never know what you might find.2014_10_07+E+Broadway+fish+2.JPG 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

36 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Nice! I've wanted to give those a try but I haven't yet been able to convince myself to buy the molds. I can't envision using them for anything else besides those so if I'm not happy doing them, the molds become dust collectors.

No new mold required - make any shaped chocolate (this was two of the ones with the line through them stuck together) and find a way to put them upside down and drizzle over. You can't see the holes in them due to picture taking angle but I had them stuck on bamboo skewers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

No new mold required - make any shaped chocolate (this was two of the ones with the line through them stuck together) and find a way to put them upside down and drizzle over. You can't see the holes in them due to picture taking angle but I had them stuck on bamboo skewers.

I feel kinda dumb for not trying that. I had the CW1847 Button mold bookmarked on chocolat-chocolat but, as I said, hadn't convinced myself to take the leap yet. Guess I'll look at what I have and see what I think might work. For holding them while pouring, I was just going to stick golf tees in a block of Styrofoam or something.

Kerry and Kira have got off to meet with some docs, nurses and administrative types for pizza and a gabfest. 

2D5BA708-3F35-4688-8B7F-C43DF34AD368.thumb.jpeg.3d42000dd4ff60ef9b11cfb72994f021.jpeg

Sometimes it’s nice to please no one but yourself.  Leftover picanha salad. 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Some day, you'll have to come to one of NYC's Chinatowns. You never know what you might find.

Heck, you can raise your own tilapia in a garbage can. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

92C06933-6FE5-4CE5-BAE7-F331093FD0B9.thumb.jpeg.6e0b2a2bf24f38f69b9ba331ff807741.jpeg

Drinking alone tonight. Almost the last of the aged negroni. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Minimal pics tonight - enjoyed a gab and a laugh - forgot pics of the pizza. Maybe caught an edge of a wineglass.

B4C5ABE6-8D7B-4893-BE92-06E3788A4BA8.thumb.jpeg.c3772e433c53f840deae87e8d2e411a1.jpeg

This is ‘camp’ by next year there will likely be a cottage rather than a trailer.

65BA2A43-0D14-40CF-815F-560DD6B03EC7.thumb.jpeg.e2e4b50ad4715f97ee662f681940d196.jpeg

96575B78-E0C6-4C34-B4E9-E65A988C7624.thumb.jpeg.8200b7bb1a9ea6ac5af73e246cfab638.jpeg

This is Chika - 14 years old and will still fetch a ball for a good long time.

D3DDEA64-43E2-467B-BF0A-3BB92F26A3A0.thumb.jpeg.d306be8baa002f68e846c042ee1bc180.jpeg

• Like 20

Upthread there was a conversation about recycling frying oil. At the Renaissance Farie I participate in in the spring in Los Angeles county, behind the food court area there are several blue oil recycling containers in which the vendors deposit their used frying oil. I've never been around during the week when it is collected so I don't know what the end use is, but I know it is utilized somehow. From a quick internet search my best guess is biodiesel fuel.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 8/2/2018 at 11:52 PM, Porthos said:

Upthread there was a conversation about recycling frying oil. At the Renaissance Farie I participate in in the spring in Los Angeles county, behind the food court area there are several blue oil recycling containers in which the vendors deposit their used frying oil. I've never been around during the week when it is collected so I don't know what the end use is, but I know it is utilized somehow. From a quick internet search my best guess is biodiesel fuel.

One of my nephews was in a band. The band traveled around in a van, which was fueled by biodiesel.  They actually had their own converter, which was pulled along with the band's equipment.

One night my sister (the mother of said nephew) noticed a very strong smell of Chinese food in the air. She went outside, and sure enough, the boys were using the converter, which was  being fed by used cooking oil from Chinese restaurants. Once the Chinese restaurants got smart, they started locking up their used cooking oil, so they could sell it to recyclers.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I feel kinda dumb for not trying that. I had the CW1847 Button mold bookmarked on chocolat-chocolat but, as I said, hadn't convinced myself to take the leap yet. Guess I'll look at what I have and see what I think might work. For holding them while pouring, I was just going to stick golf tees in a block of Styrofoam or something.

I got obsessed with those volcano chocolates the first time I saw them on @kriz6912's Instagram, so I bought that mold. I do like it, but it has its issues. It's super shallow, so it doesn't hold a whole lot of filling (and my shelling technique is doubleplusungood, so I consistently fail to maximize any mold's potential), and I find it very difficult to scrape excess off when it's filled and backed - the pieces want to slide right out. Makes a lovely bonbon, though.

Golf tees stuck in styrofoam do the trick for holding the piece while you drizzle the chocolate over - @kriz6912 posted video of the technique in some detail.

Patty

Another rather dull day but there is no rain in the forecast. I think the festivities start in earnest today. 

C285F9CE-F4AA-4F0A-93F3-C7C5FD0EF8F9.thumb.jpeg.050579f7b779a40686ebcedf89f9ad91.jpeg

No clarification needed. 

3A0FD28B-8C7F-4CC3-A3EE-70B33ECC1295.thumb.jpeg.1f5de5e254f48e1e11d4d879162e6640.jpeg

And I just couldn’t wait to try @blue_dolphin‘s discovery regarding pickled ginger in a salad. Wow!  Buy or make yourself some pickled ginger.

I knew from various readings that ginger and tomato had an affinity for one another I’ve just never put that knowledge to work before.  

Kerry is off in Wicki again with a medical student. I think we both thought that the Pow Wow started today but apparently it doesn’t start until tomorrow.  Not sure what difference that might make to her day. Will have to wait until she gets back tonight to find out. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

I love Kira’s hairstyle and pensive look.  Is the purple thing there for tactile purposes?

Nope - mostly to keep her from banging up her elbows on the chair arms.

1 hour ago, patris said:

I got obsessed with those volcano chocolates the first time I saw them on @kriz6912's Instagram, so I bought that mold. I do like it, but it has its issues. It's super shallow, so it doesn't hold a whole lot of filling (and my shelling technique is doubleplusungood, so I consistently fail to maximize any mold's potential), and I find it very difficult to scrape excess off when it's filled and backed - the pieces want to slide right out. Makes a lovely bonbon, though.

Golf tees stuck in styrofoam do the trick for holding the piece while you drizzle the chocolate over - @kriz6912 posted video of the technique in some detail.

Thanks for that about the golf tees - couldn’t remember where I’d seen it so was winging it and now I’ve got holes in them!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

3A0FD28B-8C7F-4CC3-A3EE-70B33ECC1295.thumb.jpeg.1f5de5e254f48e1e11d4d879162e6640.jpeg

And I just couldn’t wait to try @blue_dolphin‘s discovery regarding pickled ginger in a salad. Wow!  Buy or make yourself some pickled ginger.

I knew from various readings that ginger and tomato had an affinity for one another I’ve just never put that knowledge to work before.  ....

I figured you would like the ginger but wasn't sure you'd try it for breakfast.  That salad looks gorgeous.

Thanks for that article link, too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I figured you would like the ginger but wasn't sure you'd try it for breakfast.  

There isn’t much I wouldn’t try for breakfast!

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/27/2018 at 3:05 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Would have to be climate controlled for the booze and such and I don't believe there exists any such thing on the island. 

Do you-all have the PODS for storage up there? It's a service where they deliver you a storage pod, and you load it up and call them. They pick it up and deliver you to wherever you want it, and then you unload it. Even if you don't have anywhere workable at home to keep the stuff, you may have better luck finding climate-controlled storage on the mainland.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

PODS isn't in Canada, though there are similar services. It's a fairly pricey option, I should think. Not that the distances involved are large, but the moving company would bill from the nearest depot where they keep the small containers. 

• Like 1