• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_1633.jpg.efab30052ede9a09de2dc5e857a29e0e.jpg

I like that! In a rare stroke of genius, I figured out a new (to me) trick (that everybody else will probably say "duh, you just figured that out") for molding bars. I put the mold on my scale, tare it and pour the weight each cavity holds in each cavity. No more scraping or dirty molds. Not quite as fast at the filling end but not off by much now that I've got used to it and it seems to be faster overall by the time I factor scraping and cleanup. 

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

38 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_1638.JPG.defa700094117ddad93bfef8d48813a0.JPG

This showed up via Amazon.ca this morning - allowing me to get better pictures of these!

IMG_1579.jpg.b8bbe48527626f2c8bc5d3c2f14cacf2.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg.4a7b8e3ebc553c6f819432c311c8b429.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg.d6af2d8afc68e3bb66fbb4a93211f58b.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg.efab30052ede9a09de2dc5e857a29e0e.jpg

They look amazing!

• Like 6

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Kerry, every time you show another version of the "Cosmos" (or whatever galactic term was used) design, I'm impressed anew. The lighting doesn't seem to matter; each photo shows multiple depths in each chocolate. I don't know whether I'd dare eat one, lest I destroy its cosmic beauty.

...well, unless it was chased by a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Then, all bets would be off. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

for about 1/2 mile.

after that 

not so much

remember :

" Take - Out "

is not quite the same as Dine-In

if I went to a Chinese Restaurant to Eat-In

and its aroma was Take-Out

I find another Dine-In C.R.

just saying 

When I lived in Edmonton several years ago, there was a pilot project using old fryer oil to run transit buses. I don't know whatever happened with that, but I'm pretty sure they sold a lot of french fries for restaurants along those bus routes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

You did so good on the scallop cooking--I struggle with getting any color before they turn into rubber pencil erasers.

I want this right now.

Are you able to get real dry scallops.  Otherwise, that's the reason they don't brown before turning into said erasers.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Are you able to get real dry scallops.  Otherwise, that's the reason they don't brown before turning into said erasers.

No...in fact, I often wonder if they are even truly scallops and not round pieces of some kind of fish. :laugh:

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

No...in fact, I often wonder if they are even truly scallops and not round pieces of some kind of fish. :laugh:

That is not a bad assumption; I think there was a scandal where fishmongers were using shark or skate and passing it off as scallops! 

But that's the reason you can't brown them - they exude too much "liquid."

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'll put scallops on a paper towel in the fridge for an hour to dry out before frying in butter. They brown beautifully.

FWIW, @Shelby, the scallops sold frozen by costco are real scallops and OK to decent quality, if a bit on the small side.

• Like 2

Good morning. We started out with a lovely sunny day but some clouds seem to have moved in although they don’t look too threatening. 

DAFD45A4-E8E5-44F4-A687-C0BE7C551FFE.thumb.jpeg.fec1b73bf13e34faa8e207090c07fd34.jpeg

I don’t eat a lot of kerchup  so this is  pure nostalgia.  I know I have mentioned before that when we new recruits did not make it to the mess hall in time for breakfast ketchup on toast was our fallback.  

Kerry just got back from cleaning up at the hospital and once we have both had breakfast and sorted ourselves out we will head off to Pike Lake Farm to see if we can get some fresh eggs.

After lunch some friends from down south who are staying at Freer Point will visit so we can all catch up on gossip. 

And then this evening Kira and Kerry will head off for a bit of an adventure with some of the hospital staff while I hold the fort (well the townhouse). 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I'll put scallops on a paper towel in the fridge for an hour to dry out before frying in butter. They brown beautifully.

FWIW, @Shelby, the scallops sold frozen by costco are real scallops and OK to decent quality, if a bit on the small side.

The ones from last night were Costco. I dried them as thoroughly as I could with paper towel and seared them in a cast iron pan. 

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Smithy said:

Kerry, every time you show another version of the "Cosmos" (or whatever galactic term was used) design, I'm impressed anew. The lighting doesn't seem to matter; each photo shows multiple depths in each chocolate. I don't know whether I'd dare eat one, lest I destroy its cosmic beauty.

...well, unless it was chased by a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. Then, all bets would be off. 

I knew it. Another Douglas Adams fan.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

That is not a bad assumption; I think there was a scandal where fishmongers were using shark or skate and passing it off as scallops! 

That's an enduring urban legend, but one that never holds up under scrutiny. For one thing, the muscles of a skate wing run the wrong way, so that particular piece of fakery would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, given the price of skate and the cost of additional processing, it wouldn't really be worthwhile.

You certainly can find scallop surimi, though, if you want it.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That's an enduring urban legend, but one that never holds up under scrutiny. For one thing, the muscles of a skate wing run the wrong way, so that particular piece of fakery would stick out like a sore thumb. Also, given the price of skate and the cost of additional processing, it wouldn't really be worthwhile.

Thanks for that insight from a professional chef. I heard that story in Pascagoula, Mississippi a couple of years ago, from someone who claimed to be the only person selling true scallops. (The competition was supposedly selling skate wing cutouts.) It seemed implausible to me because of the musculature question, but I never pursued it further. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can't say for sure that it has *never* happened, but I can say for sure that in two or three deep dives I've been unable to locate any kind of authoritative source that names a specific instance of it happening and/or being verified. It's always been someone's brother, or a restaurant in the next county, or a guy who used to work with a guy who said...

It's quite astounding, really. You'll even see it in a chart of common substitutions posted on the FDA's website, but you'll prowl the site in vain for any actual documentation to back that up. Or at least I have.

• Like 1

2863EAEE-A663-4021-B9CD-C7DB7D529E46.thumb.jpeg.fdac75172e779d63ca014072a9f6a2b7.jpeg

We went out to get some farm fresh eggs. We came back with three dozen and…

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Nice haul.

And most of the items were between one and two dollars each.

And remember what I said about you never know what you might find on the Island? Please notice the Japanese curry roux!  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

It was skate wing.  You can tell the difference by which way the muscle fibers run.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'll look at the gorgeous pictures of Manitoulin Island and pretend that it's that kind of cool here, where we're headed for at least 97F. (don't remind me about snow there in the winter - it will disrupt my fantasy)

• Haha 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

9713EC7A-3476-45B1-A7C8-9B191317C530.thumb.jpeg.dcda77cc73c5e5d6793cca309d8751a9.jpeg

AFD65C87-DE35-476B-AA05-1ACF7AF2C1F0.thumb.jpeg.6023def6afe3d12c634ea1974b86e89f.jpeg

This amused me.  Government dock?  That’s it. That’s the dock!  

• Like 8
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

0EC4185E-374E-4317-8960-3AA6D679ADFE.thumb.jpeg.16f533aabf770f31b3e3422703962ff6.jpeg

This also caught my eye today although I have seen it many times. Location location location. If you were dentist situate yourself right next to the bank.

It’s in downtown Little Current.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog