• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That's a shame. Even for someone not interested in doing the type of food he does, there's a whole lot of good cooking information in that book. I like the book more for it's how and why information more than for it's recipes.

Hmmm. Does that mean we should read it before we give it away? Neither one of us can quite remember how it ended up here. We both had a quick look through it and couldn’t recall ever opening it. How sad is that?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. Does that mean we should read it before we give it away? Neither one of us can quite remember how it ended up here. We both had a quick look through it and couldn’t recall ever opening it. How sad is that?

Not necessarily. I don't think there's a whole lot in there that one or both of you wouldn't already know at this point but for a 14 year old with an interest in food and cooking, she could pick up a lot of information even if she never did a single recipe. It's what I liked about his In Search of Perfection books. The recipes were somewhat insane, completely over-the-top for what they were. But that was just the end result. What made the books good was all of the how and why stuff leading up to the recipes. 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Not necessarily.

Oh good because I need a forklift to move it off the floor!

• Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning.  It’s 22°C and sunny with a forecast high of 27.

Kerry is working in town today and has a medical student shadowing her.

3D95ECB1-C311-497C-9FCF-100EC989CFED.thumb.jpeg.9bcbb9d7ab9727241cc4265b73b893cb.jpeg

Eggs and soldiers this morning as I made a little experiment.

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

165B9EC7-6A7D-4395-A80C-EB930C70524D.thumb.jpeg.df1e49c88a5311aa4a8037467e7e8f12.jpeg

Lunch is a salad of tomatoes, cucumber, romaine and leftover steak dressed with an oil and Worcestershire sauce dressing. (Forgot the red onion in the salad.)

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

You probably can’t see this in the picture but I have discovered a new way to light my little big green egg. You pour a quantity of 95% booze on it and then you stand back with your map torch and give it a little light. Sucker burns for 10 min or so and the charcoal is evenly lit!

AC3EB49B-C579-4013-AE3D-9883AB273085.thumb.jpeg.8ce34e3cea457dc3df2f6fd7edc6797f.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

165B9EC7-6A7D-4395-A80C-EB930C70524D.thumb.jpeg.df1e49c88a5311aa4a8037467e7e8f12.jpeg

Lunch is a salad of tomatoes, cucumber, romaine and leftover steak dressed with an oil and Worcestershire sauce dressing. (Forgot the red onion in the salad.)

Oil and Worcestershire. Never thought of such. Intriguing. You add anything else?

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

ALCOHOL ABUSE

You took the words right off my fingertips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You probably can’t see this in the picture but I have discovered a new way to light my little big green egg. You pour a quantity of 95% booze on it and then you stand back with your map torch and give it a little light. Sucker burns for 10 min or so and the charcoal is evenly lit!

AC3EB49B-C579-4013-AE3D-9883AB273085.thumb.jpeg.8ce34e3cea457dc3df2f6fd7edc6797f.jpeg

WELL...….I guess that's one way to get rid of excess alcohol?!😞

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oil and Worcestershire. Never thought of such. Intriguing. You add anything else?

Here.

But I have also been known to add a good slug of heavy cream.

Somehow I believe I got this from a Jacques Pépin recipe but I have never been able to track it back. 

Worcestershire sauce and beef what’s not to like?

Edited by Anna N
Spelling (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

nice

medicinal or chemical 95 %

no matter

do you do your piranha ( pichanna ?)

between vein # 1 and # 2 and not near vein # 3 ?

just a Q.

there are tow Brazilian markets near me

and I do plan to look into this once I have some Fz room

no personal experience 

just he LoadBoys @ SVEverthing

For those who might be interested,  this is the Big Weekend on Manitoulin Island.   Here is the schedule of events. We won’t be attending any of them but Kerry will certainly see the fall out.  You want to know about alcohol abuse… 

Click

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

For those who might be interested,  this is the Big Weekend on Manitoulin Island.   Here is the schedule of events. We won’t be attending any of them but Kerry will certainly see the fall out.  You want to know about alcohol abuse… 

Click

Carver Kings is on Netflix, I quite enjoyed the show.   Impressively detailed work!  Recommended if you enjoy watching people make stuff, even if it isn't food.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Click

Our annual blueberry festival starts this Friday. It goes on for 10 days which is about 6 too many for the number of events so it kinda starts to drag on after a bit. It would be much better served to tighten up the schedule and run it Friday - Monday of the upcoming weekend with the civic holiday on Monday. It used to include a concert/street dance complete with beer garden that always brought in bands/musicians that were big in their day but are now reduced to the festival and club circuit. It also brought in a lot of people and their money. But one year a bad decision from the organizers to not include a rider in the event insurance policy to cover certain specific circumstances combined with an ill-timed power failure the evening of the concert that lasted until late in the night resulted in the concert having to be canceled and Tom Cochrane still expecting to be paid since he was here. They lost their ass on that one and their hasn't been a concert/street dance since.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

nice

medicinal or chemical 95 %

no matter

do you do your piranha ( pichanna ?)

between vein # 1 and # 2 and not near vein # 3 ?

just a Q.

there are tow Brazilian markets near me

and I do plan to look into this once I have some Fz room

no personal experience 

just he LoadBoys @ SVEverthing

It's the 95% I get at the duty free - use it for a lot of things. 

I just cut across what I recognize to be the grain. No clue where there veins are in there!

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Our annual blueberry festival starts this Friday. It goes on for 10 days which is about 6 too many for the number of events so it kinda starts to drag on after a bit. It would be much better served to tighten up the schedule and run it Friday - Monday of the upcoming weekend with the civic holiday on Monday. It used to include a concert/street dance complete with beer garden that always brought in bands/musicians that were big in their day but are now reduced to the festival and club circuit. It also brought in a lot of people and their money. But one year a bad decision from the organizers to not include a rider in the event insurance policy to cover certain specific circumstances combined with an ill-timed power failure the evening of the concert that lasted until late in the night resulted in the concert having to be canceled and Tom Cochrane still expecting to be paid since he was here. They lost their ass on that one and their hasn't been a concert/street dance since.

Tom Cochrane is a has been - say is isn't so!

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Click

Crystal Shawanda isn't playing?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com