• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

9 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Re: Your lunch at the country club. I can see why you were disappointed, what’s lunch without an indoor skydiving session. 😂

Oops my mistake. I was just looking for a photograph of the Glen Abbey golf club. Didn’t realize it was going to give you a tour of Oakville complete with skydiving lessons.

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oops my mistake. I was just looking for a photograph of the Glen Abbey golf club. Didn’t realize it was going to give you a tour of Oakville complete with skydiving lessons.

Double mistake, I didn’t realize that those were all separate venues, must have been in “skim” mode earlier. Still, huge difference between the two establishments.

• Like 3

On 7/3/2018 at 8:32 AM, Anna N said:

But perhaps the biggest change is that the townhouse is to be sold

What a total bummer!

I wanted to come visit sometime!  ;)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I abandoned the conversion business years and years ago but I think Kerry is into it.

Conversion is never my goal , but it seems I'm a pretty good SV evangelist 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What a total bummer!

I'm doing my best to convince the docs here that they need to come up with new accommodations for us for next year. I don't ask much, accessible for the rug rat, on the water, and enough room for the 18 years worth of kitchen stuff I have accumulated up here and the 7 (soon to be 6) boxes of booze we need to leave behind. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm doing my best to convince the docs here that they need to come up with new accommodations for us for next year. I don't ask much, accessible for the rug rat, on the water, and enough room for the 18 years worth of kitchen stuff I have accumulated up here and the 7 (soon to be 6) boxes of booze we need to leave behind. 

In the meantime is a storage locker a possibility?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In the meantime is a storage locker a possibility?

Would have to be climate controlled for the booze and such and I don't believe there exists any such thing on the island. 

If they didn't accommodate you, would that be the end of their locum tenens opportunity? It seems that losing the opportunity to get the heck away would be a pretty good incentive...and the goodies you bring would be an extra incentive to ensure that it is you!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Would have to be climate controlled for the booze and such and I don't believe there exists any such thing on the island. 

Ethanol boils at 78C and freezes at -114C.  Maybe I wouldn't care to live on Manitoulin after all.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
integer math (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If they didn't accommodate you, would that be the end of their locum tenens opportunity? It seems that losing the opportunity to get the heck away would be a pretty good incentive...and the goodies you bring would be an extra incentive to ensure that it is you!

I suspect it would at least as regards me coming up - if I were to come up without Anna and the rug rat - then I would be fine wherever they put me up - but they wouldn't get the baking! But I can't really come up here without the child (or Anna for that matter) in the summer because my hubby would never finish the renovations in the basement!

It comes down to money. For years one of the docs has owned this place and provided the accommodation - but it's a money losing proposition and he and his wife are reaching an age where they don't want to be the ones doing it. The other docs have been happy with the arrangement all this time and don't think they should have to pay. The hospital CEO's line is 'if we do it for Little Current, we have to do it for Mindamoya' - of course they need accommodation there as well - but it's kind of Catch-22. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Ethanol boils at 78C and freezes at -114C.  Maybe I wouldn't care to live on Manitoulin after all.

More for the 'and such' than the booze itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Good job! Keep it up!!!!! ;)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don't know if Glen Abbey has a chip rack at the door. Shall I make some inquiries?

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What a total bummer!

And you would have been most welcome. We would’ve introduced you to all the farmers we know.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, demiglace said:

Don't know if Glen Abbey has a chip rack at the door. Shall I make some inquiries?

Even if they do I bet you there’s no Old Dutch in it!

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What about out on the porch/deck?

No suitable furniture out there at all.

I think that as one gets older seating becomes more of an issue than it ever was.  When you’re young and healthy perching on a backless barstool is no challenge. When you are old, infirm and vertically challenged,  you can often end up feeling like a toddler being potty trained and sitting on a toilet,  legs swinging.  It’s not a pretty picture. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. It was a cool 14°C when I awoke this morning but the sun is shining and the clouds are dissipating. 

Kerry has gone off to the hospital to clear up some odds and ends and then we are going to head to Sudbury for some well-deserved retail therapy. Well I think it’s well deserved.

This will probably be our last trip down there until we skirt around it on our way home.

Aside from grabbing some coffee from Costco, I don’t think that we have any particular goal in mind other than to check out HomeSense and some thrift stores.  It should be a fun day.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I suspect it would at least as regards me coming up - if I were to come up without Anna and the rug rat - then I would be fine wherever they put me up - but they wouldn't get the baking! But I can't really come up here without the child (or Anna for that matter) in the summer because my hubby would never finish the renovations in the basement!

It comes down to money. For years one of the docs has owned this place and provided the accommodation - but it's a money losing proposition and he and his wife are reaching an age where they don't want to be the ones doing it. The other docs have been happy with the arrangement all this time and don't think they should have to pay. The hospital CEO's line is 'if we do it for Little Current, we have to do it for Mindamoya' - of course they need accommodation there as well - but it's kind of Catch-22. 

If someone else were to come up and do this job in your place, the docs would have to pay for the accommodation anyway, correct?  Or did I misunderstand the arrangement?  This is the first time I've followed your adventures (mostly because I am home more, have a better/faster computer and am learning how to relax.....) so sorry if I got it wrong!

So our first adventure happened when we stopped at Nairn Centre for breakfast.  Apparently only one cook turned up for work this morning and the restaurant was extremely busy. We waited almost an hour for our breakfast and we would appear to have been luckier than others. Kerry felt so bad for one chap that instead of bringing home potato pancakes for Kira she gave them to him to hold him till his breakfast arrived. When the waitress showed up at his table to offer him more coffee he wondered if he could have some crackers in it!  

By the time we left we had spent almost 1 1/2 hours in the restaurant. Fortunately we had nothing really pressing to worry about.

1B888D1B-118C-4CA1-A57B-5B29C2B68A68.thumb.jpeg.cf8c02b97d776a293b8d479e14f66699.jpeg

I had poached eggs and toast. I turned down the home fries and when offered tomatoes Instead, turned down those too. Apparently this information failed to reach the cook. As I suspected the tomatoes were inedible. 

7D8FCD91-5E8E-431C-87AB-66054E6DF724.jpeg.de0ad0c4212191830b1a5f3d103f4984.jpeg

Here is Kerry‘s breakfast. She had peameal bacon, poached eggs and the potato pancakes which she passed on to the starving diner mentioned above.

We are now in Sudbury and Kerry is shopping at Costco while I post an update.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

If someone else were to come up and do this job in your place, the docs would have to pay for the accommodation anyway, correct?  Or did I misunderstand the arrangement?  This is the first time I've followed your adventures (mostly because I am home more, have a better/faster computer and am learning how to relax.....) so sorry if I got it wrong!

Nope - government pays for my accommodation. In order to get doctors to work in the north they have to offer them a certain amount of locum coverage every year. I work under that program.

Anna tells me that I have to tell you that I am high maintenance! I require wheelchair access for the rug rat and a fully equipped kitchen so that I can bake for them. And enough room to store all our booze.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I require wheelchair access for the rug rat and a fully equipped kitchen so that I can bake for them. And enough room to store all our booze.

Gotta have a tour rider... makes sure they don't try to stick you on the small couch in the little private grief room near the ICU with a pillow and a blanket. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.