• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

2 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Oudeveer? ohdorvair?

Sorry. You have me.  Not getting it.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Then their stance on the sharing doesn't make sense regardless of how they do with booth sales. Do they give a reason why they have a problem with sharing a double wide?

Probably want full price for two singles.  All I can say is that for the new price they better finally be organized!  Previous years they've been doing construction up to the last minute and had poor communication about things like media and VIPs coming an hour early.  I was considering a NYC show in Sept but with travel time and expenses decided it wouldn't be worth the schlep.  I guess at least Kerry doesn't have to bring much inventory, it's more about selling to pros who can wait for it to be shipped.

43 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Probably want full price for two singles.  All I can say is that for the new price they better finally be organized!  Previous years they've been doing construction up to the last minute and had poor communication about things like media and VIPs coming an hour early.  I was considering a NYC show in Sept but with travel time and expenses decided it wouldn't be worth the schlep.  I guess at least Kerry doesn't have to bring much inventory, it's more about selling to pros who can wait for it to be shipped.

Not expecting it to be any better organized this year! So far it hasn't shown any signs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, curls said:

How did you like this one? Worth repeating? Any other suggestions for the North American style jenevers?

I found it a bit challenging - I went back and added more Apry to mine. Likely won't repeat. I think its the Maraschino that I don't care for. I pick up the same flavor I don't like in an Aviation.

We've sort of been picking a bottle of something from the bar - Anna goes to Kindred Cocktail and we opt for the first one for which we have ingredients. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think its the Maraschino that I don't care for.

That's not a favorite for me either if it's too prominent in the mix. When it showed up on the LCBO site years ago, I got the local store to order two bottles for me and I haven't even made a decent dent in the first bottle. I got a little carried away in the early part of my booze collecting and would overstock stuff I was afraid I'd never see again locally. Then I discovered I'm not the drinker I aspired to be and don't really go through a whole lot of it. So I guess I've set things up for the family and friends to have one hell of a party to see me off if something happens to me. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I found it a bit challenging - I went back and added more Apry to mine. Likely won't repeat. I think its the Maraschino that I don't care for. I pick up the same flavor I don't like in an Aviation.

We've sort of been picking a bottle of something from the bar - Anna goes to Kindred Cocktail and we opt for the first one for which we have ingredients. 

Thank you. I have a bottle of the Bols jenever that I don’t know what to do with — may try Anna’s Kindred Cocktail approach. I like the Dutch jenevers neat but the North American Bols jenever doesn’t taste like Dutch ones.  😞

9 hours ago, demiglace said:

oude veer sounded like out of here to me. Sorry I have heat scrambled brains.

No worries.  In my effort to understand I learned some Dutch and a few Afrikaans words!

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/7/2018 at 10:59 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I usually patronize nuts.com but I'm put off they have not had a sale in some while.  Until they do* I am purchasing my peanuts from Shoprite.

*or until I run out of red walnuts

reading along on this thread for peanuts try Hubs from Virginia https://www.hubspeanuts.com/salted-peanuts.html  they are great

• Like 3

Good morning. Weatherwise we seem to have returned to sunshine and clear skies. At the moment it’s a comfortable 21°C with the predicted high of 24°C. That is still within my comfort range.

Kerry has gone off to Wiki again so I shall not see her until this evening. She took some lunch with her this time which,  considering her last lunch in Wiki, seemed like a very good idea.

73D7F7B0-473D-4CD8-A47D-56721EE9BF5F.thumb.jpeg.012a349fbc8197d46c6911787a424d66.jpeg

Breakfast this morning for me was a cheese and tomato toasty. As you can see the best part of the cheese is the overflow on the foil. I considered serving it on the foil but relented and managed to get it onto a plate without too much damage.

B8649555-B354-4509-ABAE-B8ECB1D8C7D3.thumb.jpeg.68706fc70a4cff6606d35a36bdb7e6fc.jpeg

I have already made my list for the day but it’s very boring so I’ll keep it to myself.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So I stared into the refrigerator, as one does, to determine what might be for dinner this evening. I discovered a bag of green beans which are not getting any younger. I am fairly sure I know why Kerry bought them but I’m equally sure that her plans are not coming to fruition while these beans are still viable. 

Since if I don’t use them fairly quickly they will be headed for the compost heap, I felt comfortable fooling around with them. (Don’t even go there.)

Half of them I have blanched and I will make a salad.

The other half I will stew with some tomatoes even though I really despise the colour of stewed green beans.  It will prevent them from being wasted and they can certainly be eaten tonight or re-heated later.  Also gives me an opportunity to use up some canned tomatoes I froze last year. 

This at least will give me a leg up on dinner.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

E3799E43-4090-4B9A-971A-8CD78A7DE1DD.thumb.jpeg.a73cf194af33aa32eaa812af3644073d.jpeg

Lunch was a small slice of summer torte  that Kerry left me along with a plum, an apricot and the dregs of an earlier coffee. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Breakfast this morning for me was a cheese and tomato toasty. As you can see the best part of the cheese is the overflow on the foil. I considered serving it on the foil but relented and managed to get it onto a plate without too much damage.

B8649555-B354-4509-ABAE-B8ECB1D8C7D3.thumb.jpeg.68706fc70a4cff6606d35a36bdb7e6fc.jpeg

Oh my that looks so good!  Cheese skirts are not just for burgers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

indeed

Cheese Skirts are the best

the best

you can even make them in the Micro

or the Old Fashioned Way  

[ ed.: after good quality non-stick pans were perfected ]

on a not- stick pan    

" Stick " around so you do it right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I discovered a bag of green beans which are not getting any younger.

Sounds like your bean situation is well in hand but should you find yourself with more of them, I highly recommend the Roasted String Beans and Scallions with Pine Nut Vinaigrette from Six Seasons that I posted about yesterday.

If you don't have pine nuts, I think you could use most any nut in that vinaigrette.  Both the sauce the the finished dish are excellent but if you didn't want to bother with the roasting and scallions, it would still be good on simple steamed, roasted or grilled green vegetables of any sort, either as a dip or thinned with lemon juice and used as a sauce.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sounds like your bean situation is well in hand but should you find yourself with more of them, I highly recommend the Roasted String Beans and Scallions with Pine Nut Vinaigrette from Six Seasons that I posted about yesterday.

If you don't have pine nuts, I think you could use most any nut in that vinaigrette.  Both the sauce the the finished dish are excellent but if you didn't want to bother with the roasting and scallions, it would still be good on simple steamed, roasted or grilled green vegetables of any sort, either as a dip or thinned with lemon juice and used as a sauce.

I will check it out. Thank you. I will even add it to my notes of things to accomplish. Doesn’t give it any bigger guarantee that it will actually happen but I like to convince myself it does.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I am getting this “meal kit — some assembly required” stratagem down to a fine art. I have lightly toasted and chopped the nuts ready to add to the salad. The  olive oil and butter have been measured out. I have peeled but not yet minced the garlic.  The green beans salad is mostly put together although I have not yet added vinegar since I am of the opinion that to do so will guarantee that I have olive coloured beans!  

Whether anything will get a garnish of parsley and/or basil remains to be seen. 

It takes mise en place one step further than is usual and makes allowances for my almost inevitable brown-out at the end of the day. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Kira has opted for one of these for dessert. 

ECB68C5B-0070-49A3-88DE-7EFAE06A28A3.thumb.jpeg.1a7f8c02662d3cab1b90e642edfa8992.jpeg

I'll have what she's having!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.