• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

I do two kinds of lists.

For shopping, the S-note feature on my Samsung phone is perfect.

For big meals with a bunch of people coming over, I use a paper list of the dishes listed in chronological order of their preparation with annotations on prep (eg "salt at the end").

For big meals, I do a timeline in Word - like this:

Thursday, 12/22

Thaw stew

Set table

Frost Ann’s cake

Friday, 12/23

Cook & slice turkey breasts

Cook & slice ham

Pickles & olives in shed

Make Daddy’s salad dressing

Thaw croutons

Set up bar

Saturday, 12/24

AM   slice lettuce

Make fruit salad – w/out bananas

Check candy bowls

Thaw lemon tarts

Cook potatoes for stew

Put out butter

Cut up ham

NOON        stew in slow cooker w/ potatoes

Put out goodies & cover (not fudge)

Goody Bags

3:30   rest of stew on stovetop w/ potatoes

4:30   put out breads/rolls & cover

Put out crackers & cover

Put out turkey, ham, cheeses & cover

Pickles & olives

Add bananas to fruit salad

Put out fudge and tarts

4:45   11`    q        1q`

I have NO clue what I was supposed to do at 4:45 on Saturday. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 7/19/2018 at 6:57 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Still have the Seattle trip to sort. 

NW Choc?  I just got around to registering, and the booth fees have doubled!  🤑  I hope it's still worth it for you, or you get a discount for doing a demo, because if I didn't already live here that might be a deal-breaker.  Last year was crazy busy, but still ... we do want to actually make a profit at these things!

1 minute ago, demiglace said:

B0BDF2B5-2B59-4B1D-A33C-C77CB822AF47.thumb.jpeg.2db0e820df5520dbef339fcf8d4c6e33.jpeg

Butter?

Mais oui. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Ah. But do they come with lids? 

Edited to say: what I mean is can you source lids for them?

Thanks to your question I looked further and the answer is YES and they are sold by the Oui maker, Yoplait.

$3.99 for 4 lids in blue or clear, plus $3.91 shipping for up to 3 four packs. 

Edited by DesertTinker (log)
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Thanks to your question I looked further and the answer is YES and they are sold by the Oui maker, Yoplait.

$3.99 for 4 lids in blue or clear, plus $3.91 shipping for up to 3 four packs. 

Thanks for checking. Ahem. :laugh:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

WRONG!  But I still think you are fairly safe. They are Canadian product from a Canadian dairy producer.  I do not think they are available south of the 49th parallel but I could be wrong!   Here’s the thing. They do not come with a reusable lid. Some stores do carry the lids as a separate purchase and you can get them directly from the dairy.   They are not too easy to find.

Click

On their website, it says those particular products are only available in Ontario and Québec. I am familiar with the Liberté brand (I love some of their yogurt) and would have been all over those little jars if they were in stores here in BC. 

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

On their website, it says those particular products are only available in Ontario and Québec. I am familiar with the Liberté brand (I love some of their yogurt) and would have been all over those little jars if they were in stores here in BC. 

They'd look adorable as individual pots for, oh, lemon curd or pots de mousse or baby trifles, wouldn't they? 

• Like 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

You lot are ganging up on me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

For big meals, I do a timeline in Word - like this:

Thursday, 12/22

Thaw stew

Set table

Frost Ann’s cake

Friday, 12/23

Cook & slice turkey breasts

Cook & slice ham

Pickles & olives in shed

Make Daddy’s salad dressing

Thaw croutons

Set up bar

Saturday, 12/24

AM   slice lettuce

Make fruit salad – w/out bananas

Check candy bowls

Thaw lemon tarts

Cook potatoes for stew

Put out butter

Cut up ham

NOON        stew in slow cooker w/ potatoes

Put out goodies & cover (not fudge)

Goody Bags

3:30   rest of stew on stovetop w/ potatoes

4:30   put out breads/rolls & cover

Put out crackers & cover

Put out turkey, ham, cheeses & cover

Pickles & olives

Add bananas to fruit salad

Put out fudge and tarts

4:45   11`    q        1q`

I have NO clue what I was supposed to do at 4:45 on Saturday. 🙄

You guys are all so freaking organized.

No wonder I can't get anything done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

You ain't alone. My scheduling runs along the lines of:

Sunday through Wednesday: consider possible dishes for Saturday's party. 

Thursday: buy everything needed for almost all the dishes in question. Forget one or two critical items.

Friday: start cleaning the house. Realize that I've forgotten some items on the shopping list. If something needs to be made in advance - for instance, a blind-baked pie shell, or beans cooked to make a spread - do that.

Saturday: decide what to make, based on which dish(es) come closest to having the full complement of ingredients. Realize I don't have enough time to make everything I'd intended, and cut down on the menu. Start tearing around the house pulling things together. Dither over which dishes, table cloth, etc and have those ready for the guests to lay out when they come!

Oh well, we have a good time, and nobody goes away hungry. The following week, I make the dishes I didn't cook for the dinner, in an attempt to use the surplus items I'd bought at the grocery store.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You ain't alone. My scheduling runs along the lines of:

Sunday through Wednesday: consider possible dishes for Saturday's party. 

Thursday: buy everything needed for almost all the dishes in question. Forget one or two critical items.

Friday: start cleaning the house. Realize that I've forgotten some items on the shopping list. If something needs to be made in advance - for instance, a blind-baked pie shell, or beans cooked to make a spread - do that.

Saturday: decide what to make, based on which dish(es) come closest to having the full complement of ingredients. Realize I don't have enough time to make everything I'd intended, and cut down on the menu. Start tearing around the house pulling things together. Dither over which dishes, table cloth, etc and have those ready for the guests to lay out when they come!

Oh well, we have a good time, and nobody goes away hungry. The following week, I make the dishes I didn't cook for the dinner, in an attempt to use the surplus items I'd bought at the grocery store.

See, that's why I have just banned people from my house.  It's less stressful that way. :laugh:

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 15

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Just the opposite, actually.  My mom was an incredible hostess and the most organized person I know.  I am NOT.  That's exactly why I need such a detailed timeline.  Momma would have never needed such a thing.  When she went grocery shopping, she'd write down things she was out of and then just get 5 different meats and vegetables to go with them for the week.  She was awesome.

• Like 7

37EFE626-B792-42B9-89D7-6BE8FECA6DFC.thumb.jpeg.02f6cb20fe81c477a0fba46b31120af9.jpeg

Dinner: Teriyaki pork balls with Morimoto’s sauce, steamed asparagus, Japanese-Canadian salad with carrot-ginger dressing.  

• Like 22
  • Delicious 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

NW Choc?  I just got around to registering, and the booth fees have doubled!  🤑  I hope it's still worth it for you, or you get a discount for doing a demo, because if I didn't already live here that might be a deal-breaker.  Last year was crazy busy, but still ... we do want to actually make a profit at these things!

No discounts -and they won’t let me share a booth.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

and they won’t let me share a booth

That would bug me. Unless they're usually stuck with a  lot of unsold booths... then it would still bug me but at least I'd understand why they were doing it. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

That would bug me. Unless they're usually stuck with a  lot of unsold booths... then it would still bug me but at least I'd understand why they were doing it. 

Thing is we would have got a double wide - just lets us share the power etc (of course we are doing that anyway!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thing is we would have got a double wide - just lets us share the power etc (of course we are doing that anyway!)

Then their stance on the sharing doesn't make sense regardless of how they do with booth sales. Do they give a reason why they have a problem with sharing a double wide?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

Then their stance on the sharing doesn't make sense regardless of how they do with booth sales. Do they give a reason why they have a problem with sharing a double wide?

Didn't bother to ask - next time I'll just book it under one name!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Where are you going?

Over the hill to grandma’s house?

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog