• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Thanks for sharing your lists Anna. I do several a day; more to organize my thoughts than to remember stuff. More of a hand-writer here. i LOVE "xing" out completed items

I was just re-reading an old Marian Keyes novel and her character talks about loving lists and especially likes starting a list with things she has already done, so she has something to cross off right away. :laugh:

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm a sage sausage and maple syrup girl, too.  I can't tell you how many LOOKS I've gotten when folks see me dipping my sausage into syrup!

I love sausage (sage or not) and maple syrup together also. Our local grocery (Thrifty Foods) makes a maple-flavoured pork sausage which seems quite popular, they have been making them for years. They only use artificial flavouring though, boo! 

Just pulled these out of the freezer:

IMG_20180723_132317.thumb.jpg.ad2d44bca1616cc95f5d613e0e11941b.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 5

I'm the scourge of proper list people everywhere. I wait until the one and only local grocery store posts it's flyer for the week on it's facebook page, look through it to see if anything I need is on sale (which is a bit silly really since it's the only store and I'll have to buy it there regardless), and make an unorganized list on a text file on my laptop. Shopping day usually leads to things being crossed off and things being added and my mind being changed about things I want to make at the last second (frequently brought on by a sudden bout of laziness telling me I really don't want to do whatever it is I wanted to do). Then I write it on whatever scrap of paper is handy and head to the store where invariably, they'll be out of some key item on my list for whatever I decided to make or I'll forget something despite it being on the list. Happened this very weekend. Went to make the jerk seasoning paste for the chicken and pork I wanted to do in the smoker and realized I forgot to grab the onions... which was the first thing on the list I took with me. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Those Fruit  Crumble Bars are a staple for us. I make them with whatever berries I have on hand or left over from other projects, so it's often a mixture. My last batch was blueberry and raspberry. Maybe blackberry next time. They are good for gifting, aren't they? 

They are indeed!

• Like 1

I keep a list on paper and add to it through the week, then (cough *usually* cough) take it with me when shopping.

A few years back my late wife got a bee in her bonnet about using an app to keep our shopping list, so we could each update the list from our phone in real time, and so on. It was a good idea in theory, and the app had great user ratings, but it "simplified" my existing 5-minute process to about 2 hours/week. And that's not counting the time I lost scrolling through it madly while in the store. Oy.

• Haha 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Rough day in Wiki today with more than it’s fair share of tragedy. But one of the staff had eyes bigger than her stomach (I suspect she’s on the anti diabetic med that causes weight loss and early satiety) so I got to enjoy the guts of a sub wrap and all but the macaroni in a bowl of macaroni soup.

163F78F8-4DB5-4DEF-887B-CCED0BE2F026.thumb.jpeg.58fba4214db56ccb2397b3a37e622543.jpeg

2D8F4BFD-55D5-4249-92AA-698EFAFC0D2E.thumb.jpeg.2ffcbb3d3fa3b1900be7908b14c5dffd.jpeg

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5

I did very well with list- making for a while.  We'd pick what meals we would have a week in advance, and create the shopping list based on that plan.  It worked well for a bit.  But, things in this house never seem to go as planned, so that idea became obsolete.   I tried and tried and tried, and I made many grocery lists only to find that two out of three of my smart- ass kids were writing things on the list- with some pretty good imitations of my handwriting.  3 packs of Hershey Bars.  2 bags of large marshies,  2 packs of blueberry Redbull, Oreos, rice pudding, etc....  I actually fell for it more than once. Not sure what was going on in my head during those times, but apparently lost my senses.  

Now, for the chocolate workshop, I make detailed to-do lists, and immensely enjoy crossing off each task---especially cleaning and polishing molds. I love when that's all done, and use a big blue ball point pen- I love seeing that X!!!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Good morning. It’s warm, humid and hazy today with a 20% chance of rain. We had a puny thunderstorm overnight. Think it must have been some distance away. 

3D08BC8D-9603-41CC-81B5-29EAACEE56B6.thumb.jpeg.faf03b36efed7a5d069eea19f5329fb6.jpeg

Ever since Kerry brought home these tiny button mushrooms my head has been filled, not with visions of sugar plums, but with visions of garlicky creamed mushrooms on toast showered with grated parmesan. 

I have already tossed two blade steaks into the SV to cook for 24 hours at 54.5. We had similar steaks last year and I noted how tender and tasty they were. Not  sure when these might appear on our dinner plates as we still have beef leftover from that fabulous blade roast. 

Kerry is working in town today at the clinic. 

I have yet to make a list so perhaps nothing will happen inside the townhouse!  

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For list-making, I use two apps -- the "tasks" list on my Google Calendar (without which I don't know when to breathe) for to-do stuff, and the "Out o f Milk" app on my phone., which I cal also access on my laptop, as can my daughter. Out of Milk lets me keep separate lists for different stores I frequent., which is very handy, and as my phone is generally close to hand, it's easy and quick to note something down when I think of it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I do two kinds of lists.

For shopping, the S-note feature on my Samsung phone is perfect.

For big meals with a bunch of people coming over, I use a paper list of the dishes listed in chronological order of their preparation with annotations on prep (eg "salt at the end").

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kayb said:

For list-making, I use two apps -- the "tasks" list on my Google Calendar (without which I don't know when to breathe) for to-do stuff, and the "Out o f Milk" app on my phone., which I cal also access on my laptop, as can my daughter. Out of Milk lets me keep separate lists for different stores I frequent., which is very handy, and as my phone is generally close to hand, it's easy and quick to note something down when I think of it.

Out of Milk! That's the one I spoke of upthread, that made me want to stick a skewer through my own eyeballs. I'm happy it makes you happy, though. :)

ETA: I couldn't think of its name for the life of me, and I can't tell you how happy I am that I won't have to Google it to make that nagging mental itch go away.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

41 minutes ago, kayb said:

keep separate lists for different stores I frequent., which is very handy, and as my phone is generally close to hand, it's easy and quick to note something down when I think of it.

I do this, but I Google Keep.

I use a check box next to each item so I just un-check it next time I need it—too easy!

I also track prices.

Lists are synced among all devices.

ETA: Lists are arranged per each store's layout.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

D6DE7004-48C4-47AE-BA66-0B2E8C7CEC2B.thumb.jpeg.6e46e64baaf1dc3906ad58af7d842a88.jpeg

Sometimes a list starts out as a messy “mind map” before it becomes formalized. 

Moving slowly this morning. I have one load of laundry sloshing around and I have emptied the dishwasher and sort of tidied up the kitchen.

Next step will be to make a carrot-ginger dressing. I will go the easy route and bung everything into the Thermomix. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

292CF07A-EB12-4F35-84FD-316BF7D1A7F8.thumb.jpeg.d693048d920695b0a5092fbb63a1dfde.jpeg

A2F132A8-A855-4B13-B131-9BC6C8764C86.thumb.jpeg.3b888fbcb58a152054dcef4290fcbf32.jpeg

Ginger-carrot dressing. The mise and the end product. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I absolutely do not need any of those cute jars, so I absolutely do not need to know where you (or Kerry, I think?) got them. IIRC they were a thrift store find. Whew - saved from making a shopping list for gizmos!

Sorry if you wrote this before - but do you have a link to that ginger-carrot dressing? It looks gorgeous! 

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

IIRC they were a thrift store find. 

WRONG!  But I still think you are fairly safe. They are Canadian product from a Canadian dairy producer.  I do not think they are available south of the 49th parallel but I could be wrong!   Here’s the thing. They do not come with a reusable lid. Some stores do carry the lids as a separate purchase and you can get them directly from the dairy.   They are not too easy to find.

Click

Edited by Anna N
To add link (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

B0BDF2B5-2B59-4B1D-A33C-C77CB822AF47.thumb.jpeg.2db0e820df5520dbef339fcf8d4c6e33.jpeg

Lunch was just about as plain and as easy as it gets. Leftover beef on white bread with salt and pepper. I didn’t even use horseradish.

96B6A3D3-455B-48CB-AA68-78AF87BA13E9.thumb.jpeg.62e3df03882effcc92c46d8272954d64.jpeg

Destined to become teriyaki pork balls.  These are approximately 1 tablespoon size and I baked them in the CSO for 20 minutes on convection bake, turning them back to front halfway through. 

Wondering if that was too long.   We shall see. One cannot uncook. 

Edited by Anna N
Plane to plain. (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I absolutely do not need any of those cute jars, so I absolutely do not need to know where you (or Kerry, I think?) got them. IIRC they were a thrift store find. Whew - saved from making a shopping list for gizmos!

Sorry if you wrote this before - but do you have a link to that ginger-carrot dressing? It looks gorgeous! 

@Smithy Here’s the US equivalent . Not quite as curvy and sexy.

5392FDB9-148D-426C-9039-FDE151461BA6.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Here’s the US equivalent . Not quite as curvy and sexy.

Ah. But do they come with lids? 

Edited to say: what I mean is can you source lids for them?

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog