• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

12 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I love celery—but I like EVERYTHING!

I even like lovage which is like celery on steroids! 😁

Love lovage.  I had it growing in my back yard, back in the day when I had a back yard.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Love lovage.  I had it growing in my back yard, back in the day when I had a back yard.

I also have lovage growing, next to the house. It reproaches me every time I step outside, because I forget to use it. "Celery on steroids" is a good description.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Regarding lovage: when we sold it in gallon pots at the botanic garden it was marketed as "Bloody Mary plant" because the thick hollow stems can be used as a straw in the beverage to lend celery taste; plus it looks cool ;)

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

A super memorable meal for many reasons was one we ate near Walla Walla several years ago. It was cooked by an artist who grew lovage. It was a simple pan-fried steak with a lovage-butter sauce. When I grill steak I rarely bother with sauce, just a dry rub, but this combo was dynamite. 

It's been a while since having lovage, so I can't really compare the flavor to anything. When it comes to celery however, I can't imagine life without it. How would you make egg salad or tuna salad or chicken salad or potato salad? I have never in my life eaten celery with peanut butter, though, and I'm not about to start now. 

• Like 7

No photographs of lunch: a cup of coffee and the last of the cherries which I picked over.  Those that went into the bin were probably no worse off than the ones I ate. It just seemed they had reached a time when one ought to bin some of them!  

So far the day has been taken up with various and sundry chores. Did some laundry, peeled and froze some ginger, gave some asparagus that we bought yesterday a little tender loving care,  froze  some white squishy bread so it doesn’t all go mouldy before Kira and I have made short work of it.  Then I tackled dinner. 

Kerry and I did not discuss what would be on the table tonight (we rarely do). So tonight, as usual, she is in for either a surprise or a shock!  But once she has fed and changed Kira, chatted to her hubby and made a cocktail and some tea,  she is usually perfectly happy to sit down to whatever appears in front of her.

I will make it a surprise for everyone and hold off until we eat it to post any photos. 

I have never eaten lovage. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looking for your best advice. Committed the cardinal sin of not checking on the availability of ingredients, again.  I swear I saw apple cider vinegar. Only in my dreams apparently.

I am in the middle of making the Everyday Cucumber Salad from DeepRun Roots.

I have sherry vinegar, white vinegar, white wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar but no apple cider vinegar. What do you think?

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you, @rotuts and @Shelby.

Next question:

I want to cook a dish which normally calls a bain marie. I hate mucking about with boiling water and shallow pans. I have a CSO. Why can’t I do it in there?

If the original recipe called for a bain marie at 300°F  for 5 to 8 minutes or until bubbly (I will have to go longer because it’s been refrigerated), would you go steam bake for the same amount of time?

You can’t ask me what it is or you will spoil the surprise!  

My 2004 eG Blog

300 F for a BainMarie ?

typo ?

live on Saturn ?

I can't imagine how the CSO would kill this at 300 steam

but something is wrong asking g for a BainM for 300 F

[ ed,: Rotuts as Sooooo tempted to call a BainMarie a B.M.  but better thought prevailed  ]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

300 F for a BainMarie ?

typo ?

live on Saturn ?

I can't imagine how the CSO would kill this at 300 steam

but something is wrong asking g for a BainM for 300 F

[ ed,: Rotuts as Sooooo tempted to call a BainMarie a B.M.  but better thought prevailed  ]

No typo.

I have made this recipe many times before but never when I owned a CSO.  Basically it is pre-cooked before being poured into ramekins and brought back up to temperature slowly in a bain marie so we are not actually cooking anything.  Probably isn’t critical at all but I just wanted to put it out there and see what you all thought.

Same abbreviation had occurred to me but, like you, I decided better not. 

Think I will just put it into the CSO probably at a little higher temperature, maybe 325 maybe 350 and just keep an eye on it.  I will use the gentler steam bake function out of respect for the “emulsion”?   We can get specific after dinner.   

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry asked me to post photographs of our “bar”.  She is open to get suggestions as to how to use up some of it. I think it will be more helpful if we take the time to move the almost empty bottles into a space of their own so you have something more useful to work with.   Stay tuned for when one of us has the energy and the ambition to undertake this task. We might need a couple of cocktails first. 

B600D81A-EFEF-474E-A5FB-070365C4AC75.thumb.jpeg.5dd06e22095aad8a7804465dcc4af5c0.jpeg

C2F2BB1D-D6BF-4E80-8021-60866273717F.thumb.jpeg.de15407fef24aaabdd4b99da13ccad0f.jpeg

8023AC7A-38B1-4707-9342-3A4E6F4082FB.thumb.jpeg.6b9ad88b48a9de637afabb116cbc054a.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

My tiny 2 cents--in my experience the CSO cooks/bakes things faster than my oven.  I'd leave the temp at the 300....but what do I know lol.

Good point!  Thanks. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

"  brought back up to temperature slowly in a bain marie "

you will do fine in the CSO on steam-bake at what ever temp you think will give you the same results

Id tent the ramekins so their is no ' rain ' or condensations on their tops

if you are not actually cooking anyting

and the steam-bake Fx keeps the items moist

why not go a bit lower

as  the only Ba.Ma's Ive ever used can't really get to 212 F ?

• Like 2

Im not a mixed cocktail person

I did study the Daiquiri some time ago

dark , tart

what Id do

if you can not keep your Bar

and choose not to transport S.

the last day

get a few gallon jugs 

very clean

mix in the remainder up and take it Home

"" The Manitoulin Remainder "  cocktail has now been invernted

just saying

you could spray it on Bugs and the like if you didn't enjoy it 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

"  brought back up to temperature slowly in a bain marie "

you will do fine in the CSO on steam-bake at what ever temp you think will give you the same results

Id tent the ramekins so their is no ' rain ' or condensations on their tops

if you are not actually cooking anyting

and the steam-bake Fx keeps the items moist

why not go a bit lower

as  the only Ba.Ma's Ive ever used can't really get to 212 F ?

Yes. My thoughts were the same on covering them. Like I say it’s really not going to be critical. I’m probably overthinking everything. I can do that sometimes.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes. My thoughts were the same on covering them. Like I say it’s really not going to be critical. I’m probably overthinking everything. I can do that sometimes.

I'd stick to the 300 or maybe a bit lower and keep a close eye on it.  CSO's are speedy and hot lol.

• Like 2

We were asking for lunch suggestions at the nursing home today - and the mother of one of the girls who works reception mentioned that the band office was having a fish fry. I'd had really good food there before - so over we went!

IMG_1240.JPG.c3aa6c2ffa6f85d378e4f4c3dc36d83f.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG.8b1f0c73ecddd0a68ddd78869661c314.JPG

We didn't realize it was going to be free! Felt a little guilty.

IMG_1242.JPG.a41a21ebbdb0dcee84806bead02dba46.JPGIMG_1243.JPG.f06b862b093ca0ee50adac52af2f07c2.JPG

This lovely fellow was waiting for us when we came out.

IMG_1246.JPG.71d8c63920809ee44336175e892511c1.JPG

This is what was left of the bread at 3:30.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Bought some of those mangos at Costco yesterday and just had one.  They are very good.  I also looked for the Libertè flan but could not find them.  Are they worth looking for?

Didn't find them at Costco - really bought them for the bottles. Making your own is better.