• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

Exactly what most kids did with the peanut butter filled ones ;)  The whole licking and excavating experience was kinda enjoyable 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

91DD66D7-C97E-4535-8E8A-EC3051E19DD9.thumb.jpeg.637054aeb3d55c7b3ed1c7c06fda29ce.jpeg

Another impromptu dessert. (I am quite determined to incorporate ginger snaps.)?

This is really the only way I like bananas. They must be really ripe, dusted with sugar and napped with the merest hint of cream.  Nursery food. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Grammy often had celery stuffed with pimento cheese.  Good stuff.  Especially when I licked the cheese out and threw the celery away.  

A woman of great taste and superior intelligence.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

91DD66D7-C97E-4535-8E8A-EC3051E19DD9.thumb.jpeg.637054aeb3d55c7b3ed1c7c06fda29ce.jpeg

Another impromptu dessert. (I am quite determined to incorporate ginger snaps.)?

This is really the only way I like bananas. They must be really ripe, dusted with sugar and napped with the merest hint of cream.  Nursery food. 

I really like them fried in butter with brown sugar added to the pan as they are frying.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Then there's my DW and me who adore celery stuffed with cream cheese. 

Oops - should read to the end before posting - I'm a little behind today - have spent several hours working on updating my Nexus status, and making reservations for trips to Dallas and Paris. Still have the Seattle trip to sort. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, curls said:

Looks like you’ve polished off the amaro nonino — one less bottle to deal with!

Indeed - and the campari is dangerously low too. We are not replenishing. It's killing me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Indeed - and the campari is dangerously low too. We are not replenishing. It's killing me.

But what if getting more campari will help you make cocktails with the ingredients you have left? It should be ok to get more then... right?  Good luck getting thru this challenge.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, curls said:

But what if getting more campari will help you make cocktails with the ingredients you have left? It should be ok to get more then... right?  Good luck getting thru this challenge.

Nah - wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge!

I should post a pic of the stuff we have and see what input we can get to use the almost empty bottles.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

I love celery.  Braised celery is, perhaps, the apotheosis of its existence.

I'm convinced it's an acquired taste. My daughters were by necessity not exposed to it while growing up and, to this day, they prefer to notify others that they are intolerant/allergic to it even though they are not. They say it's off tasting, smells repellent and they prefer not to eat it.

• Like 2

Anna keeps reminding me that I'm forgetting to post stuff. So we are back in Tuesday now - in Gore Bay visiting with Lisabeth.

This is the view out of Lisabeth's window - so she can make her bean to bar chocolate and other goodies while watching deer and her FIL farming!

649737763_IMG_1203(1).thumb.jpg.758ffb9d08a18769d82e0ae3bf62ad97.jpg

1274112358_IMG_1204(1).thumb.jpg.a2d3c00581e102c898427e8f3d7432b5.jpg

I took down to Gore Bay the bars that Johnny Iuzzini had given me when I was in NYC, so we could taste them. I brought back part of them and Anna and I did a little more tasting on Tuesday evening. It's interesting how different people can get different flavors from the same bean. There were a couple of favorites in there - but overall an excellent lineup - not one that I wouldn't enjoy again. 

IMG_1202.thumb.jpg.242ad3bd22d28050d678bff203a09405.jpg

There was also a Stratus bar that David from Soma gave me - it's production somehow involves the lees of one of the Stratus winery's wines.  We contrasted that with a bar that Lisabeth had made using Columbian beans and Rosewood Estate Winery's Mead Royale. She had noticed honey notes in the bean and wanted to play that up. It works! Wish they'd been making that mead back when I was making thousands of truffles for the 'In the Valley' event - it would have made a fabulous truffle. 

• Like 13

When I left the house this morning I had forgotten I was in the middle of bread dough. Anna noticed it trying to crawl out of the thermomix and onto the counter - so corralled it and put it in the fridge. It was straining it's constraints there too.

So this evening I put it into a couple of larger bread pans - gave it the sesame treatment and baked it a bit. It did the remarkable cracking noise as it cooled.

IMG_1232.thumb.jpg.b0e7e5b84cf1d876f0105db8164e9a9c.jpg

IMG_1234.thumb.jpg.ee09cb1c79a14d0c5a6f1a67949744cc.jpg

Happened to notice the sky outside and grabbed a quick shot.

IMG_1238.thumb.jpg.545eb97a35aecd9d4657b774c6caba04.jpg

• Like 23

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

adore celery

I love celery—but I like EVERYTHING!

I even like lovage which is like celery on steroids! 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Anna keeps reminding me that I'm forgetting to post stuff. So we are back in Tuesday now - in Gore Bay visiting with Lisabeth.

This is the view out of Lisabeth's window - so she can make her bean to bar chocolate and other goodies while watching deer and her FIL farming!

In my uncaffeinated morning brain, that sentence conjured up images of the deer actively farming alongside the FIL...harnessed to a plough, perhaps, or helping cultivate between rows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

38 minutes ago, chromedome said:

In my uncaffeinated morning brain, that sentence conjured up images of the deer actively farming alongside the FIL...harnessed to a plough, perhaps, or helping cultivate between rows.

More like weed and plant control!

• Like 3

Good morning. Another beautiful sunny day. It’s a comfortable 21°C aiming for a high of 25. Doesn’t get much better than that for me.

After I commented how good Kerry’s scones smelled as they came out of the oven she did her very best to tempt me with one. 

FD69ADEE-D04A-4041-966F-81AB73D8B2E6.thumb.jpeg.d1a474a84feb6834b16bc18d21383b25.jpeg

But, ingrate that I am, I had other ideas.  Ever since we came home last evening with a loaf of squishy white bread my heart has been set on having a poached egg on toast. 

EC285CB8-A979-445E-8679-202CC39AD982.thumb.jpeg.79c362873299b48f1586845de7c78c9e.jpeg

Unfortunately in my greedy haste I somehow managed to puncture a hole in the egg and left behind most of the yolk congealing in the poaching liquid.

The scone regained much of its allure. 

Kerry has gone off again to Wikwemikong    with her medical student so I should be alone until four or 5 o’clock this evening.

There are a few chores I need to tackle and then I shall see what I might get up to later. 

For those waiting with bated breath to learn how well the microwave trick works with the cabbage, I have disappointing news.  I surrendered, cored it and bunged it into the freezer.  Now it should be ready when I am.

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog