• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

You all have got me very interested in labels with respect to Imperial versus metric measure.  I actually dug the chicken label out of the garbage so I could study it. 

D4FC638C-D80C-4389-820B-B9BD2194B586.thumb.jpeg.0c84624e7fa6850bcb11c1dc9a071887.jpeg

Note that this label is all in Imperial measure. I suspect that Max’s scales pre-date any sort of conversion to metric.  And being a bit of a rebel and anti bureaucrat he’s not going to change without a fight. 

DE804B40-8AE1-45AF-906B-0061B5EB32D9.thumb.jpeg.706c76a041cd2541ca4c72baa134c14d.jpeg

The supermarket label however is all in metric. Because most recipes are based on weight in this hemisphere I do a mental conversion to get the weight of the chicken in pounds. Nothing close to accurate but I would guess this is around 2 1/2 to 3 pounds.  Accurately it is 2.77 pounds. Close enough for government work. 

Edited by Anna N
Spelling etc. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Im surprised you can find chickens that small

S. of the Border

the Land of 'roids and what not

it a find to see a chicken @ 4 lbs.    5 - 6 the low end of norm

and i recall many Rx's from days gone buy

esp BBQ  ( for me vertical chickens )  suggesting an optimum wt. @ 3.5 lbs

Very interesting. 

I think I might finally succumb to the sous vide craze and get one...

I see the Anova is very popular on here - is that the recommended unit (in terms of cost vs. value - I dont mind paying for high quality, so long as there is a case to be made...)

Heard we are supposed to get some weather tomorrow, Anna - blue skies at the moment South of you ladies.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im surprised you can find chickens that small

S. of the Border

the Land of 'roids and what not

it a find to see a chicken @ 4 lbs.    5 - 6 the low end of norm

and i recall many Rx's from days gone buy

esp BBQ  ( for me vertical chickens )  suggesting an optimum wt. @ 3.5 lbs

Fryers in the 2 1/2 to 3lb range are pretty standard up here. Bigger birds are actually quite difficult to find in supermarkets; if you want a large roasting chicken they often have to come from the farmer's market or equivalent.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@TicTac

Id go with Anova bluetooth

its might fine and the less expensive than the other

USA routine price would be 129 or so

always go on sale, from time to time.

if you see it less than 99 , then strike 

maybe the AmazonDay ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Fryers in the 2 1/2 to 3lb range are pretty standard up here. Bigger birds are actually quite difficult to find in supermarkets; if you want a large roasting chicken they often have to come from the farmer's market or equivalent.

I have a terrible time finding fryers that small.  My best bet was a store that used to have a small kosher section.  They have closed that section and now I'm at a loss. I love the little ones for frying.

15 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Something cocktail related?  Bitters or a tincture you were lacking?

It was a completely unfair challenge. In that very small box was a very small printer which will serve Kerry well up here. She has cause quite frequently to print out various and sundry documents related both to her business and to her job. I’m very happy to have it here although I probably won’t use it that often.  

C3E4E506-BED0-42AB-A3E6-9916EC9E27E4.thumb.jpeg.5c06a84a70691f06803291a9a8a3bb7f.jpeg

It is surprising what you miss when you are away from home!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

One thing to be aware of with Epson inkjet printers is that most of them have fixed print nozzles. Most other brands include the nozzles in the ink cartridge, so when you change cartridges you get a new set. Epson in its wisdom went the other direction, which means that if you leave it sit for a while and don't print anything, the ink will clog your PERMANENT, NON-REPLACEABLE print nozzles.

It is theoretically possible to clean those successfully, especially if they've only just begun to gum up, but in practice it often means junking an otherwise usable printer. I've just taken my parents' former printer, a $300 Epson multifunction unit, to the recyclers for exactly that reason. As you may gather they're not my favorite brand of inkjet. :(

That being said, portable printers of any variety are scarce and when you need one, you need one. Just remember to print a page on it every few weeks, and you should be okay.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

After 28 minutes on the phone with the 5th government agent I had been transferred to, most of it on hold, I desperately needed a cup of coffee and a cookie!  Yeah I know you’ve all been through it. Doesn’t matter which country you live in —?so please  let’s not drag it too far off topic.😂  

BE0330E9-41CD-4176-A3CF-04DFB98DC1CD.thumb.jpeg.9e57a6eb33c45a70f8132b72f121a76e.jpeg

Kerry’s version of creamsicle cookies. I can taste the orange in these which is more than I can say for the ones I made. 

Laundry is done and folded. Dishwasher is emptied. Chicken has been salted and returned to the fridge.  When I have regained my mental and physical equilibrium I shall blanch some sugar snap peas.  The universe is unfolding as it should.  

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

6EF7E741-5365-4A93-9BB6-639B056B4963.thumb.jpeg.21f2127e3841300d2d41a4c7c5e6922b.jpeg36914AB5-CABD-43DA-8EAE-2EEB608119A3.thumb.jpeg.80b7792e6f3d6bfc50ed884c8424e674.jpeg

Spotted just yards from the townhouse and photographed by one of Kira’s carers. 

Apparently it was in full view when they first arrived but had wandered back into the bush. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

36914AB5-CABD-43DA-8EAE-2EEB608119A3.thumb.jpeg.80b7792e6f3d6bfc50ed884c8424e674.jpeg

Brave... if it only knew how close it was to Anna and her sous vide bucket. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14C6F688-C34A-4FFA-AAFC-D914596EE12D.thumb.jpeg.d56e0dd1090b4247dc8c4ab95fe614aa.jpeg

The Man Comes Around 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

8BED4736-CE7C-47CB-8478-F62933840112.thumb.jpeg.1c08895b31d140de05f93d906597261f.jpeg

Dinner:  CSO roasted baby chicken and sugar snap peas blanched and then given a Japanesey glaze of soy, mirin, sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

6EF7E741-5365-4A93-9BB6-639B056B4963.thumb.jpeg.21f2127e3841300d2d41a4c7c5e6922b.jpeg36914AB5-CABD-43DA-8EAE-2EEB608119A3.thumb.jpeg.80b7792e6f3d6bfc50ed884c8424e674.jpeg

Apparently it was in full view when they first arrived but had wandered back into the bush. 

Vermin

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Vermin

Bambi. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch at Ed’s in Wiki

26ACEABA-2EA4-4012-8A55-E4A0076ECFF6.thumb.jpeg.d31effdab1d68fd61862a3b145f3bb1f.jpeg

CF71C026-F875-4E1F-BD42-70D9E6EB4A7A.thumb.jpeg.b209b8485f83fb1228b9b4f7d9f1e9f5.jpeg

Carrot soup and Caesar salad for me

B2B53123-1DFC-4B7C-B938-883123D58EEB.thumb.jpeg.02a528bf731d184927274089f8a184a7.jpeg

Toasted Western for my medical student Archie

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

55 minutes ago, Arey said:

rats with antlers

But tastier. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Vermin

Dinner. Tenderloin soaked overnight in buttermilk, then sous vide (time/temp dependent upon age and sex of deer), then either seared or breaded and fried. Shoulder roast marinated in dry barbecue rub for 24 hours, then 72-hr SV, then pulled and crisped up, if wished. Ribs SV and then finished on the grill or smoker. The rest of it ground.

Well, deer brisket might make good pastrami. Never tried it.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com