• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

25 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Thanks Anna - it was a beautiful day for it - though when we pulled into the lineup to get into the parking lot, we noticed a huge police presence - ETF teams, helicopter circling above, etc - low and behold, in this wonderful world we live in, Terrorist threats were made towards the GTA and York.  At first we were hesitant and were going to leave, but I do not believe in living in fear, and surely if it was that serious they would not have opened the park!  We are back home now after numerous water slides and multiple trips down the lazy river. 

I would enjoy beer there, if they didn't charge $12 for a small pint!

Hope you ladies have had a nice day!

Trust me we were worried about you. We saw it on the television in a restaurant where we were eating and we knew you were at Wonderland. So glad it went well for you. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Try Schweppe's Tonic water. Not so cloyingly sweet as CD.

If only. We have been searching for it for more than a week!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Then the people who actually process meat  were not prepared to set up to process just 3 pounds of ground pork. Not that we actually wanted 3 pounds — 1 lb would’ve been enough.

Gonna have to see if I can have any influence on Kerry... I can't believe she's without some form of a meat grinder. :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

Gonna have to see if I can have any influence on Kerry... I can't believe she's without some form of a meat grinder. :D

Funny you should say that. Shortly after we pulled out of Max’s place that was Kerry’s thought!  We could do it ourselves. Just give us a hunk of pork.  No matter.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Trust me we were worried about you. We saw it on the television in a restaurant where we were eating and we knew you were at Wonderland. So glad it went well for you. 

That is very sweet of you both.  Glad no nonsense occurred and we were able to have a fun filled day.  On the plus side, my 3 year old made friends with nearly every officer there, so perhaps if I ever get pulled over they will remember him! :)

I for one look forward to seeing more interesting test recipes you ladies attempt.  I am always impressed with how much you are able to get done up there!  It is almost like a foodie cooking vacation (least for one of you!), with a waterview to boot!  Can't beat that!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

two more ++ weeks ?

Almost 4 more weeks.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I had ambitious dinner plans but when push came to shove I found I had hit the bottom of my energy reserves for the day. 

57A1AB29-EACC-4B29-931D-C981CE12A4C2.thumb.jpeg.52b9897a8520a93d7bca7c1b25c8fdef.jpeg

Sliced pork loin and kimchi cream. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The Art of Choke - and peanuts - a perfect @JoNorvelleWalker dinner!

I like that drink... can't say that I've tried drinking it while eating peanuts but if it's got that kind of endorsement, maybe I'll give it a try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

HA!  I KNEW she wouldn't pass it up. 😂

Actually it will be going to @Alleguede's shop to process soups, pate's etc - I knew I could find a home for it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

You mean up here or at home?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I had ambitious dinner plans but when push came to shove I found I had hit the bottom of my energy reserves for the day. 

57A1AB29-EACC-4B29-931D-C981CE12A4C2.thumb.jpeg.52b9897a8520a93d7bca7c1b25c8fdef.jpeg

Sliced pork loin and kimchi cream. 

Tell me about that omelet looking stuff

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

@Anna N helps kittens/cats on their journey through life, you help unloved kitchenware/small appliances. 

😂

So very true! When I think of the number of Cuisinarts I have re-homed. And Mixmasters. 

• Like 1

I'm in Wiki tomorrow - I have medical student with me and we will be spending the morning at the Wiki Nursing Home and the afternoon at the clinic.

3 bananas had made it to the perfect banana bread stage - so that was a given.

IMG_1124.thumb.jpg.20ade59338101846065516d549200398.jpg

First time I've made the Creamsicle cookies that have been mentioned on eG in the past. Too lazy to zest an orange - I added about 10 drops of bitter orange oil.

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.305b239730333d79915f6223c5875629.jpg

• Like 14

A tiny bit of rain this afternoon - not enough to help the blueberries on the mainland sadly - but it made for a beautiful sundown.

IMG_1126.thumb.jpg.1c77145fc7c03c5441e55df6cd4fe5d1.jpg

Noticed this character coming up from the marina - didn't walk quite like a skunk, moved a fair bit faster - as it approached I realized it was a porcupine. It headed for the middle of the road then started walking towards town. 

IMG_1136.thumb.jpg.0ac9334274f7c479e8c7f4775c137fbd.jpg

IMG_1143.thumb.jpg.c90556c0e3636482d904e00d160eb9bb.jpg

IMG_1144.thumb.jpg.773e13975d069988cc93fd696e2c2b1b.jpg

Did what I could to discourage this lovely cat from checking him out - it would not have ended well for the cat I'm sure.

IMG_1145.thumb.jpg.51c5667f457a63287805b3345c6576d7.jpg

• Like 21

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Tell me about that omelet looking stuff

Kimchi cream – – equal parts kimchi and mayo blended/ processed together. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Noticed this character coming up from the marina - didn't walk quite like a skunk, moved a fair bit faster - as it approached I realized it was a porcupine. It headed for the middle of the road then started walking towards town. 

IMG_1144.thumb.jpg.773e13975d069988cc93fd696e2c2b1b.jpg

I've often wondered what it is with porcupines and the middle of the road. When I lived in a more rural area I would see three or four every evening, trundling down different stretches of the highway (and if ever there was a creature that locomotes by "trundling," it's a porcupine) but always in the middle. Predictably, the local ravens ate "porcupine panini" most mornings for breakfast.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Good morning. After many days of waking to gorgeous sunshine it came as a bit of a shock this morning to be greeted by overcast skies and rain.

4F47D565-4767-483B-ACD7-809AD2C463A1.thumb.jpeg.61bd54d6c690bfe2108cf0a1ad994fd4.jpeg

But the rain is desperately needed so I will not complain. I am not going anywhere today as Kerry is working over in Wiki so the rain should not be a hinderance of any kind. I will be doing some laundry but it will dry indoors. 

C91518DB-5883-4D68-9F62-28DE73F014FE.thumb.jpeg.602ef3dcd012cbcf94fb5802a1ed77a4.jpeg

Breakfast is shaved pork loin and kimchi cream on a pan-toasted hotdog bun.  A cut up plum is my attempt at five a day. Rarely ever come close.

Aside from doing some laundry and cooking a chicken in the CSO for dinner tonight, I don’t have much planned.  If I don’t start doing some serious planning I will be leaving here having accomplished nothing of what I had intended.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

The washing machine is sloshing away and the dishwasher is doing its thing.

We picked up more beef shanks yesterday at Max’s so I thought it a good time to do something with them. 

2C30BCFD-E8DB-41DA-8215-F51FA78AC3C0.thumb.jpeg.79489e3748572a408d499263e62ff4a2.jpeg21363D80-0EC9-421D-8932-56A78D689434.thumb.jpeg.1e5661cb632e066ab111800dff6ccee7.jpeg

Each is around one and a quarter pounds and give or take 2 inches thick. The plum is there purely to give you an idea of scale. 

After much thought and some research I settled on 56°C as the working temperature for the sous vide bath. I intend to pull one after 48 hours and then decide if I will leave the second one for 72 hours. I am aiming for a steak-like rather than a braised texture. 

AFAC18B9-E52E-4DCB-87F5-BC65A87E39AF.thumb.jpeg.b07f10d1bf82001a86f099adeab4e94e.jpeg

I have covered the bucket with foil to limit water loss due to evaporation.  Still I will need to check on it occasionally and I might have to set myself some reminders to do so.    Now to do the math to find out when 48 hours from now will fall.😂  Don’t laugh. I told you math is my weak point. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog