• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

Good morning. I have been up since 5 AM but moving very slowly. Kerry has to check in at the hospital and then I think we are heading off to do some errands and visit our infamous Flee Market. 

There is no Red Boat in the townhouse. On the very slim chance that the Island Jar might carry it we will check shortly. I hold out a little hope and I think under the circumstances we will forgo this experiment. I do have other fish sauce but it’s not something that appeals to me to put on steak.

So this was just to let you know we are still alive here on the island and we will be posting later as/ if we have interesting things to share. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10816F5D-1206-487B-8BF6-D2209B13EEE1.thumb.jpeg.da0c38852559bb96fce543a546ccc82c.jpegThis Valdeon blue has been shouting my name since the moment I tasted it at Mickey McGuire’s.  I could resist no longer.  A very ripe pear and some grapes were the accompaniments.  I took it out onto the balcony just long enough to get a photograph!

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Speaking of wonderful cheeses – – this morning I set about listing all of the cheeses awaiting our exploration:

Gruyere premiere cru
Five brothers reserve
Five brothers
Mountain oak extra old Gouda
Coastal cheddar
Valdeon blue
12 months old Manchego
Shepherd’s harvest
Comte cyclaman
Marieke gouda
Fontina Valle d’Aista D.O.P.
Smoked blue Benedictine

Not that you need any suggestions on what to do with either that cheese or that steak...but the best steak I ever had was seared on the grill, and once it was flipped, topped with some caramelized onions and crumbles of blue cheese. I love burgers that way, too.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, TicTac said:

I have opened our red for tonight (2010 Palazzo Brunello) and am sampling a small glass.....purely for QC purposes, rest assured!

Is this an everyday red?

13 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@Anna N, how do you two like your Negroni mixed? Do you use equal proportions of the gin, Campari, vermouth? I prefer to use a bit less Campari. I believe my first Negroni was after reading about you and @Kerry Beal enjoying them and I found a bottle of Campari languishing at the back of the 'cabinet' and made a couple. My husband didn't like it that much (he loves Manhattans), but I have one every now and then. So thanks for that!   :)

I don't know how @Anna N prefers her Negroni, but I like to play around with different gins/vermouths, which really affect the taste. Antica is sweet and cloying, whereas M & R is not as much.  When I want to go classic, it's equal parts Beefeater, M & R, and Campari. (On occasion, there's nothing wrong with Gordon's Gin either).

@FauxPas - Try adding a dash or two of Campari to your husband's Manhattan; it really makes for a lovely drink.

Enjoy your vacation, @Anna N and @Kerry Beal!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

This Valdeon blue has been shouting my name since the moment I tasted it at Mickey McGuire’s.  I could resist no longer.  A very ripe pear and some grapes were the accompaniments.  I took it out onto the balcony just long enough to get a photograph!

Some of those blues can be pretty vocal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

maybe some tawny port ?

A bit early for anything alcoholic I think.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Enjoy your vacation, @Anna N and @Kerry Beal!

Thanks.  I don’t think Kerry has had time yet to note that she’s working. She’s not on vacation. I am.😁

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

A5EB6996-1D6B-44D1-9802-55C42B2EDA3E.jpeg.0b459668e919161c5beac670527ec982.jpeg

We had errands to take care of in downtown little current and came across the crew ship docked right downtown.

D4CF5A72-E25E-4AAC-98DF-A4BFF72B568E.jpeg.7f11015969a6f365299155741216de3f.jpeg

Perhaps this is carrying safety to the outer most limits. It’s safely docked right in the middle of downtown but they’re wearing lifejackets?  I think they’re more likely to succumb to heat exhaustion than drowning.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

My 2004 eG Blog

We made a trip to the Flee Market this morning. Always good to catch up with the folks who work there.

IMG_0991.jpg.7b3dc1e834361e5d4ce1ca5c7726d969.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg.196ae232b5887e6212b65d0edf4a6095.jpg

Any thoughts on what whoever welded the bit on the front of this might have been thinking?

IMG_0995.jpg.fb1b914052b38b68a981c74c603b443e.jpg

Here was our haul.

I also saw an All-American Canner - looks to be about the 21 quart size. She wants $150 for it. I need to do one of three things - forget it, convince myself why I need it when I don't can anything that requires a pressure canner and I already own a total of 5 instant pots, or convince one of you that you want it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Is this an everyday red?

Not everyday, but certainly a good one! ;)  This was for purely QC purposes, as I have a few more bottles in the cellar.  It will benefit from more years of aging. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

We made a trip to the Flee Market this morning. Always good to catch up with the folks who work there.

IMG_0991.jpg.7b3dc1e834361e5d4ce1ca5c7726d969.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg.196ae232b5887e6212b65d0edf4a6095.jpg

Any thoughts on what whoever welded the bit on the front of this might have been thinking?

IMG_0995.jpg.fb1b914052b38b68a981c74c603b443e.jpg

Here was our haul.

I also saw an All-American Canner - looks to be about the 21 quart size. She wants $150 for it. I need to do one of three things - forget it, convince myself why I need it when I don't can anything that requires a pressure canner and I already own a total of 5 instant pots, or convince one of you that you want it.

:o  That is SUCH A GOOD PRICE for that canner.  That's the size I have.  You need to take up pressure cooker canning.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Couldn't you just borrow an autoclave?

Camelcamelcamel shows the 21 quart All-American was $87 new on amazon US fifteen months ago.  You might wait for prime day.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Couldn't you just borrow an autoclave?

Camelcamelcamel shows the 21 quart All-American was $87 new on amazon US fifteen months ago.  You might wait for prime day.

Geez, I paid $223 for my canner.  Don't tell Ronnie it was that cheap once.  He'll have a come-apart lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'll start the wild guesses  - it could be a sort of cute way to for a coffee bar to hold sugar packets (though not very many, they'd have to be the long skinny euro style) in the extension, and stir sticks in the main vessel.  Or if there was an insert, toothpicks. 

Or you put a sugar cube or rock candy in the basket and pour hot tea out over it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Not everyday, but certainly a good one! ;)  This was for purely QC purposes, as I have a few more bottles in the cellar.  It will benefit from more years of aging. 

Yeah, I'll bet it's delicious, but young.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

24 minutes ago, Shelby said:

:o  That is SUCH A GOOD PRICE for that canner.  That's the size I have.  You need to take up pressure cooker canning.....

Shelby, on this you are going to have to take sides. There is no other way. Kerry does not need a pressure canner! Trust me she doesn’t! And the more I say it, the more she will be determined to have the damn thing. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

48 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Buffalo Chicken Poutine for Anna

I did manage to make good inroads this but there is still enough for two more meals! But, damn, it did hit the spot.  Don’t think I’ve had poutine since we were up here last.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Anna N, @Kerry Beal , how long are you on Manitoulin this time? 

@weinoo, thank you for the Negroni tips, will have to try your suggestions!  

The plan is to remain here until August 9 or when the booze is gone Kerry says —whichever comes first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Shelby, on this you are going to have to take sides. There is no other way. Kerry does not need a pressure canner! Trust me she doesn’t! And the more I say it, the more she will be determined to have the damn thing. 😂

One cannot pass up that good of a price.

Kerry.  Buy it.

Don't listen to Anna.

Plug your years and fork over the cash.

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Kerry Beal remember that you're cleaning out the condo after this trip and don't have room in the van.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, pastrygirl said:

@Kerry Beal remember that you're cleaning out the condo after this trip and don't have room in the van.

*plugging Kerry's ears*

La La La La La

She can't hear you

😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8