• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

Oooooo !

Oooooooooooo !

P.jpg.f1d5a083e462e9673ab61b9349def27c.jpg

that's the Cream on top of my Bucket list

I have one town over two Brazilian butcher shops

based on SVEverithing

I hope to get to them sometime for a Nice 

picanha

from them sometime soon

Fall ?

Ive got a lot of " Chew Down "

in Fb and F down stairs.

Bon Appetit !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

anything in the Japanese cuisine you would like?

Japanese cabbage rolls are right up there and the cabbage is in the freezer awaiting my attention.

Edited by Anna N
Changed “in” to “and” to make better sense. (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Given that we now have in total 5 pounds of ground pork and you sound excited about it, perhaps you could share what you do with it, eh?  xD

Breakfast sausage is my favorite use. I use sage, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, red chile flakes, black pepper, marjoram, grd. coriander and MSG. I like the heat and sage at higher levels than most probably would and sometimes I replace the brown sugar with a larger amount of maple syrup just for a change of taste.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Given that we now have in total 5 pounds of ground pork and you sound excited about it, perhaps you could share what you do with it, eh?  xD

Breakfast sausage is my favorite use. I use sage, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, red chile flakes, black pepper, marjoram, grd. coriander and MSG. I like the heat and sage at higher levels than most probably would and sometimes I replace the brown sugar with a larger amount of maple syrup just for a change of taste.

Sorry for the double. It didn't show that it posted when I hit the post button. Just left everything right where it was with the button still active so I thought it failed. 

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 minute ago, Tri2Cook said:

I adore sage flavored breakfast sausage.  My pop(grandfather) used to take commericial breakfast sausage and 'doctor' it with sage until he was happy with it.  I would just eat his sausage with maple syrup and be a happy camper.....

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A5CAE5BF-5B64-4894-9F5D-2E447B8D9AE5.thumb.jpeg.f4e6baf4f1c5165c750d9ecb4b8e2104.jpeg

Eggs (from Pike Lake Farms) so fresh they were still in utero this morning!  3 dozen should last us a few days. 

More flour. Lots more flour.

And I asked Kerry to grab me 3 pieces of fruit. Fresh fruit was in short supply. Should have told her “bananas don’t count”!  But I will doctor them up and between me and Kira (who likes bananas) we will survive. And then there is always banana bread.  

Edited by Anna N
Change says to days (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And I asked Kerry to grab me 3 pieces of fruit. Fresh fruit was in short supply. Should have told her “bananas don’t count”!  But I will doctor them up and between me and Kira (who likes bananas) we will survive. And then there is always banana bread.  

Bananas most definitely don't count! (They aren't edible.)

Are cherries around at all still? Ours are much less in evidence than they were last week. I'm hoping that the blueberries at the U-Pick place are still available on Monday, now that I finally have time to pick and freeze some. The hot dry conditions seem to have done a number on our local produce.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

And here’s a photo from last summer.

They don’t stay small and cute very long!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I use sage, brown sugar, salt, cayenne, red chile flakes, black pepper, marjoram, grd. coriander and MSG.

41 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I adore sage flavored breakfast sausage

Thank you, but two sage averse diners here!

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Are cherries around at all still?

I am sure if there were decent cherries we would not have found ourselves with bananas.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you, but two sage averse diners here!

It's good without the sage and with maple syrup instead of the brown sugar but I wouldn't skip the larb and gyoza and all that just to make breakfast sausage even if you both did like sage. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I don't find blueberries particularly difficult to pick other than it taking a lot of berries to fill a pail... it's dealing with being the main course for every bug within 100 km of where I'm picking that drives me out of the blueberry patch.

I didn't make it to the pick-em-yourself blackberry place this year, being out of town for two of the weeks it was open, but I'm amazed every year at the difference between it and the blackberry picking of my childhood.

Buckets in hand, and clad in long-sleeved shirts with rubber bands around the sleeves to keep them down, and bearing gloves with the fingers cut out, we'd traipse out through the woods in search of wild blackberry patches, which typically sprang up around ditch banks and old house places that had had a shallow well. Clad in the protective gear, we'd pick our pails as full as our fingers could stand.

Coming home, we'd have a bath with a healthy portion of bleach in the bath water to kill the chiggers, and inspect thoroughly to ensure there were no ticks. (Foragers, a fine tip: dog flea collars fastened around your pants legs will keep the ticks away!)

At the You-Pick-Em place, the domestic vines have no thorns. The berries are twice the size (albeit not as sweet) as the wild ones. The grass is mowed between the vines. It took me 20 minutes last summer to pick two gallons. And that didn't count the ones the grandchild filched out of the bucket.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

At the You-Pick-Em place, the domestic vines have no thorns. The berries are twice the size (albeit not as sweet) as the wild ones. The grass is mowed between the vines. It took me 20 minutes last summer to pick two gallons. And that didn't count the ones the grandchild filched out of the bucket.

Definitely takes the sport out of it.

I have always found just lifting the punnet off the counter in the supermarket and placing it in my cart is as much exercise as I need to get my share of blackberries or any other fruit for that matter. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I thoroughly enjoyed the blackberries I could pick off the roadside verge hedges in the English countryside, many years ago. They made a nice hiking snack. However, given the thorniness of those bushes I'd have needed much better protection if I'd wanted to harvest enough for, say, pie or preserves. Wild raspberry bushes have nothing on blackberry brambles!

I didn't know until now that the blueberry comb is hard on the bushes. Not that I've ever had the chance to try one, but I appreciate the information.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yup - egg whites whipped until approaching dry, yolks and a bit of cream immersion blended, fold together - pour into hot buttered pan - once bottom starting to blow some bubbles up the side it's probably getting brown - bung in the oven for 10 minutes or so. (400º F)

Next time, throw a handful of grated cheese onto the pan and let it render its fat and start crisping up before you pour the puffy eggs in.  You'll get the nice brown crispy crust, but because it is cheese and not egg, it will taste good. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

85BB76F4-649B-443B-B401-9D69FC483D3E.thumb.jpeg.4d8b5195fb99d651def45939b41d393a.jpeg

Tonight’s cocktail:  Not A Pompadour!

(notice I am doing my share drinking that disgusting rum!)  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 10

My 2004 eG Blog

2FCAD73B-7290-4AA4-85B9-5715368F9803.thumb.jpeg.362e95a322400164d052c6156df2e224.jpeg

This is why we have sous vide!   Blade roast sous vided from frozen for 30 hours at 57°C!   Grilled romaine lightly dressed with a sherry vinegar vinaigrette. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Why don’t you make flambé bananas for dessert!😋

Thanks. New bananas are not ripe enough. Old bananas are too ripe. No Goldilocks bananas available. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, suzilightning said:

I adore sage flavored breakfast sausage.  My pop(grandfather) used to take commericial breakfast sausage and 'doctor' it with sage until he was happy with it.  I would just eat his sausage with maple syrup and be a happy camper.....

I'm a sage sausage and maple syrup girl, too.  I can't tell you how many LOOKS I've gotten when folks see me dipping my sausage into syrup!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm a sage sausage and maple syrup girl, too.  I can't tell you how many LOOKS I've gotten when folks see me dipping my sausage into syrup!

My wife used to brown the sausages, dump a little maple syrup and a little water in the pan, then cook it and toss them around until a maple glaze coated them. The first time she did it, I questioned why she would do that to some perfectly good sausage but it was actually pretty tasty. Not something I often do myself but it's nice now and then.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

My wife used to brown the sausages, dump a little maple syrup and a little water in the pan, then cook it and toss them around until a maple glaze coated them. The first time she did it, I questioned why she would do that to some perfectly good sausage but it was actually pretty tasty. Not something I often do myself but it's nice now and then.

Oh, I am definitely trying that.  Sounds like the sausage version of candied bacon!

• Like 2