• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I sincerely hope I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. I know intent can be difficult sometimes via text-based communication.

Sounds like something that happens on this island on an almost daily basis - which is why I get called into the ER so often overnight!  

Today I just got lured in by fishhooks.

• Haha 7

37 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

About that liquor supply.....drink as much as possible until you leave. Use up the bottles with the lowest level. Well, duh. Then set aside a good drinking whiskey. Dump everything but the good sipping stuff together into a gallon jug. Pack that up to take home. Then put the whiskey bottle in the wheel well or between the two of you for the drive back.

In this country you can't have open liquor bottles in the car. So everything we have here that is open - has to stay here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

In this country you can't have open liquor bottles in the car. So everything we have here that is open - has to stay here. 

not even in the trunk?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

3F2E23EE-2F61-4C1C-A9D5-9DB9DE2F0B75.thumb.jpeg.3c8616a6e0c394e179806ad44d7e41d1.jpeg

open faced egg salad - sadly no

miracle whip!

do you need an emergency delivery?  I totally understand !!!!!

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Even I did not ask what they cost since Kerry said she’d already remortgaged her house to get them!  I asked which house. She said it was her own not the townhouse.  That only made me realize even more that  they must’ve cost a bomb!  xD 

Sell the berries, buy the condominium.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

do you need an emergency delivery?  I totally understand !!!!!

I could just remember to buy some next time I'm in the store - Anna keeps the shopping lists - I suspect she deletes it!

• Haha 6

58 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I could just remember to buy some next time I'm in the store - Anna keeps the shopping lists - I suspect she deletes it!

Bad Anna!!!! Bad girrrrlllllll!!!!  !(love you really but don't mess with food tastes)

Hey.... I sent rice a roni to somewhere in the middle of the states.  I have a wee, small container of MW I picked up when the store I use was phasing them out...……

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Nope - no open bottles. 

If it helps, here open bottles are legal in the trunk.  The thought being it's safer in the trunk than in the driver.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well it should be legal everywhere for open bottles locked in the trunk of the car. And remember, when cops ask to search your vehicle, you have the right to just say no without a search warrant. It might be different in Canada?? Of course the cops don't like this refusal within your American citizen rights, so your mileage might vary if you get a renegade violent cop. Body cams are eliminating some of them, which is very cool with me. Me? I am scared of cops. They have way too much power and we are constantly reading about their abuse of it down here. I don't blame you for ditching the open bottles and restricting repurchase. It's just not worth the potential hassle.

I would be curious if Canadian citizens have the right to refuse a search of their vehicle without probable cause or a search warrant? Of course, even this right won't help you if you are involved in an accident (not your fault) and then you are dead meat. >:(  So, no, not worth it.

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I would be curious if Canadian citizens have the right to refuse a search of their vehicle without probable cause or a search warrant? 

Are you kidding me?  We are far too polite for such antics. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Those are frowned upon by the local pickers here. It adds a lot of debris to the berries and, I'm told, if not used properly, can damage or pull up the plants. Unless they're picking out the leaves, green berries and assorted other detritus before selling them, that job falls to the buyer. At that price, I better not have to do anything except eat them. Most pickers here hand pick and it's very rare to find anything in the pail other than nice ripe berries. Takes longer to hand pick but you don't have to pick through them before selling or using so it ends up pretty even time-wise in the end.

Totally agreed.  They certainly damage the plants as they strip leaves along with berry.  Though when he produced that large quantity and said he picked them in an hour, I knew it certainly wasn't by 'hand'.

If you ever need to offload some berries and don't mind shipping to Thornhill, I will happily pay your wife's prices ;)

Edited to add - as I was fishing at the cottage last weekend, I kept thinking of Kerry's fish hook tales and ensuring I was ever so careful in my actions as I did not want to become part of a tale myself!  lol.

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TicTac said:

If you ever need to offload some berries and don't mind shipping to Thornhill, I will happily pay your wife's prices

I'd pick them myself and ship them to you for free every summer for the rest of my life if it would bring her back so she could go with me. But I don't think they'd ship all that well regardless. Her customers from the US took them frozen and packed them in coolers with lots of ice that they replaced regularly on the drive home. 

• Sad 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

C58B5C79-31AD-4E36-A716-2DCDA0E0B80C.thumb.jpeg.47de5dd804cf8d100af2e8b22332ddfd.jpeg

Haul from Max - ground pork, top blade steaks, picanha and some ribs he had smoked that we will sous vide and return to him.

1BB0B43C-6068-4989-8A6C-5DF7A997ADF8.thumb.jpeg.c32a6384b6aff3ce41bb515feef3bc38.jpeg

On Max’s wall

2C75A2A6-1F95-4152-9A78-0B385CE7470F.thumb.jpeg.bf7a697424a978f8843d9fbb1364a465.jpeg

Dropped by Kagawong on our return for a picture 

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Topping looks good. Are the egg whites separately whipped to get it poofy?

Yup - egg whites whipped until approaching dry, yolks and a bit of cream immersion blended, fold together - pour into hot buttered pan - once bottom starting to blow some bubbles up the side it's probably getting brown - bung in the oven for 10 minutes or so. (400º F)

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ground pork!

Given that we now have in total 5 pounds of ground pork and you sound excited about it, perhaps you could share what you do with it, eh?  xD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Given that we now have in total 5 pounds of ground pork and you sound excited about it, perhaps you could share what you do with it, eh?  xD

Thai lettuce wraps.  I love this recipe.  Very good on a hot summer day.

Edited to say, also good when Kerry is on call....can just sit in the fridge or at room temp for a while until she gets home....

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thai lettuce wraps.  I love this recipe.  Very good on a hot summer day.

That reminds me of another possibility: Larb!

eta: (Oops, that IS what Shelby suggested. :blush: Well, here's another recipe, in RecipeGullet.)

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby beat me to it with the larb. Our topic on eG is encyclopoedic!  I alo like Vietnamese pork patties like this Cook' Illustrated recipe. For the low carbing doc they are good in lettuce wraps. Quite nice on a bun or over rice if carbs on your ok list.  https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11062-vietnamese-grilled-pork-patties-with-rice-noodles-and-salad-bun-cha-for-two

Edited by heidih (log)

Thai lettuce wraps....how about fresh breakfast sausage with sage or mixed with a leaner meat to make some meatballs to poach in a red sauce....

anything in the Japanese cuisine you would like?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just now, Smithy said:

That reminds me of another possibility: Larb!

Larb was certainly the motivation for getting some of this ground pork - as well as gyoza.

• Like 3