• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

6109B4CF-357B-49AC-8999-A9596921F22F.thumb.jpeg.5480e75c265672729dc0fd2370dfbdba.jpeg

Tonight’s cocktail is an Oriental.  According to the Savoy Cocktail Book the recipe was given by an American engineer to his doctor in the Philippines to think him for curing a fever.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry, that was badly worded.  I didn't look for them at Costco, just the mangos.  I noticed the 50% off sticker which made me think Loblaws or Independent which I did look at and also Metro.  I agree that homemade is probably better but I find it handy to have a premade something or other on hand when you just want something quick.

9C11BC8E-292B-464C-A8F1-53C1BD6DCB3A.thumb.jpeg.ad60f5af51f738e66822c9c70f851edf.jpeg

Dinner. Kerry’s with a low carb cheese delivery system. Kerry pointed out that we did indeed have lovely cider vinegar ( it is hiding in the cocktail picture if you look very carefully) so the salad was made correctly. 

Not sure if I blame the CSO but I have never had this result from this recipe before. It is an old, old recipe I have used many times.   It has obviously split. It is basically a cheese fondue with seafood and asparagus. In this case shrimp and asparagus.  I worked slowly and hard to get the perfectly smooth cheese and wine combination. Damn. 

3B821BC4-3C5C-473D-97BB-B994DA1690C2.thumb.jpeg.4b1c5763df0b171a41feef64e32b816b.jpeg

My not-low-carb version with toast croutons as the cheese delivery system. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

sounds like it's time

for The Bottom of the Well Drink...….

anything less than a 1/2" gets mixed together.

Can you guess where I used to work as an evil BOH person?

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

To use the maraschino liquor and gin.....Aviation Cocktail

2 oz gin

1 oz maraschino liquer

3/4 oz lemon juice

flamed lemon peel

No proper gin sadly!

• Sad 1

To use the white rum and vermouth....a Bacardi Martini....with a different rum

2 oz white rum

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes dry vermouth 

lime peel for garnish

stir with ice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Sorry, that was badly worded.  I didn't look for them at Costco, just the mangos.  I noticed the 50% off sticker which made me think Loblaws or Independent which I did look at and also Metro.  I agree that homemade is probably better but I find it handy to have a premade something or other on hand when you just want something quick.

It was Independent we found them at - Winkels in Sudbury. I've seen them a few times at home - but not paid much attention because they are expensive.

Kira liked them, Anna thought homemade would be better.

• Like 2

to use the whiskey and curaçao a Marlene Dietrich

2 oz whiskey

1/2 oz curaçao 3 dashes Angostura bitters

a piece  lemon

a piece of orange

shake first two

strain

squeeze citrus

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Thanks 1

Looking at that stash, no matter how you go at it, I suspect there's going to be a lot to haul home or two very tired livers when you get home. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A6B7BC82-F2BE-4420-8E79-8023232F9984.thumb.jpeg.b4b55a50b872f5334ef18762d40be3d3.jpeg

Tonight I took my ginger snaps straight up.  The ballpoint is there for scale. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Looking at that stash, no matter how you go at it, I suspect there's going to be a lot to haul home or two very tired livers when you get home. :D

We will drink until our check liver lights come on!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

6109B4CF-357B-49AC-8999-A9596921F22F.thumb.jpeg.5480e75c265672729dc0fd2370dfbdba.jpeg

Tonight’s cocktail is an Oriental.  According to the Savoy Cocktail Book the recipe was given by an American engineer to his doctor in the Philippines to think him for curing a fever.  

Ok, I've decided to join in on the fun (at least for this weekend) and join you with my own Oriental. While interesting, this is not one I see myself making again. Cheers!

2136017758_IMG_5343-oriental-whatareKerryandAnnaDrinking.thumb.jpg.3ba575029d7b064602da7896ed0851b9.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, curls said:

Ok, I've decided to join in on the fun (at least for this weekend) and join you with my own Oriental. While interesting, this is not one I see myself making again. Cheers!

2136017758_IMG_5343-oriental-whatareKerryandAnnaDrinking.thumb.jpg.3ba575029d7b064602da7896ed0851b9.jpg

Yeah - we were happy enough with it - but didn't see rushing to make it again.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

go for tart-ishy fruit.

OHHHHH that's what I want to be …...

tartish fruity

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

To use the white rum and vermouth....a Bacardi Martini....with a different rum

2 oz white rum

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes dry vermouth 

lime peel for garnish

stir with ice

I have to really disguise the taste of rum to get it down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Woke to cloudy skies and evidence of rain over night. No rain in the forecast but not much sunshine either. 

Kerry is back on call for the next 24 hours.

A friend is driving up today to spend some time at the cottage out at Freer Point. She might dop in for a quick visit and to grab some potable water from our tap. 

2B2334A2-16FE-4DC6-BA0E-72C7C1071C67.thumb.jpeg.cb3e012bfaa63183591ae3ffaeed9a4d.jpeg

Was more successful with my eggs this morning.

We are not having a lot of success tracking down farm eggs this trip. 

No point today in making a dinner plan that isn’t amenable to being served cold, room temperature or re-heated!  One never knows what will transpire in the ER when dinner time rolls around. I have a couple of ideas fermenting. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have a couple of ideas fermenting. 

Literally? :P

(You just never know, around this place...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning