• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

It is for a Bourbon Decay.

That sounds pretty tasty. The link had me searching for the recipe that inspired it, the Bourbon Renewal, and that sounds pretty tasty too. May have to try both. I have 2 bottles of cassis that I grabbed at the local store a few years ago because it was unusual to see it here and I wasn't sure when I would see it again once it sold out. That turned out to be one of my rare accurate foresights, it sold out pretty quickly and I've never seen it here since. But anyway, I have those 2 bottles sitting in my cabinet, probably with a nice protective layer of dust covering them, that I've never got around to actually finding a use for. This sounds like a good way to start using one of them.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Went to visit with Lisabeth of Ultimately Chocolate - all the places under consideration for lunch were closed so we went to the Bistro in the new health food store 

F00E3619-A294-4215-BB56-3DAA258CDB47.thumb.jpeg.432c7ea30a98d202ed449bfb3a4c012c.jpeg

4C84F00E-6ED6-4BF1-A862-E7F8F390EBC6.thumb.jpeg.be83127d0e4891ac8fc8efa6ebcaa133.jpeg

06138299-393B-4D40-852F-C1FCDEBB6EE7.thumb.jpeg.2fd5fd8249905b6801b062891b4096cd.jpeg

Didn’t really think a Taco salad wouldn’t contain taco meat!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Went to visit with Lisabeth of Ultimately Chocolate

I follow her Instagram because, whether it's accurate or not, I have this image in my head that, like me, she's in an area where she's pretty much the only one doing what she does. She's obviously doing it at a much higher level than I am, I'm just getting started with the learning phase and not even close to the business phase and I think where I'm hoping to get with it is probably different than where she's headed with it, but it still interests me to see how she goes about things being outside of a major market area. Of course, that could be just in my head too. I've never been to Manitoulin so I really have no idea of the market size she's working in. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Two minutes in the microwave to resuscitate the rice and then top it with whatever is handy or can be quickly put together.

I do this with Alton Brown's Baked Brown Rice.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Tonight’s dinner began with a salad dressed with a Japaneasy dressing at Kerry’s suggestion.  It gave me the opportunity to use the small ceramic

ginger grater that somehow got lumped in with the small dipping bowls in the photos from Sudbury. 

520D0FF6-0107-49A6-A93E-DA9D219B8B8C.thumb.jpeg.d2161cc45f75d5badc6a45d3d59bdd8b.jpeg

63EA488F-DEE4-4D53-B565-DC6EDADB277D.thumb.jpeg.c86a7a138cff4d8958759ab54f8b6a71.jpeg

It is small but very effective and works as well with garlic as it does with ginger.  

A958DD3C-EEE5-4866-89DB-79D7DD721001.thumb.jpeg.eb9056d3c43a1fcff56b68792ccfa495.jpeg

Dinner was shrimp in garlic butter and olive oil which looked terribly plain until Kerry stepped out onto the balcony, snipped some parsley and showered it over the shrimp. 

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

what sort of knife is in Pic #2

It may look classy, Japanese and expensive but it is none of the above. I picked it up HomeSense for probably about $11.   Perhaps manufactured in Japan but even that I question. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I follow her Instagram because, whether it's accurate or not, I have this image in my head that, like me, she's in an area where she's pretty much the only one doing what she does. She's obviously doing it at a much higher level than I am, I'm just getting started with the learning phase and not even close to the business phase and I think where I'm hoping to get with it is probably different than where she's headed with it, but it still interests me to see how she goes about things being outside of a major market area. Of course, that could be just in my head too. I've never been to Manitoulin so I really have no idea of the market size she's working in. 

I'd say that's a very fair assessment of what she is dealing with and the two of you share many similar challenges. 

• Like 2

Good morning. It is sunny but brisk here on the Island.  This is a pleasant change and I am not complaining.

Kerry is on call in emerg but only until 4 pm today which means she can have a cocktail when it’s over.   And she might well need one!  

DDC36C59-8959-4466-B729-04C80E1B19B1.thumb.jpeg.6300263a876c1871b0653b3d906a1fac.jpeg

Breakfast!  Eggs scrambled with mushrooms and tomatoes. 

Plans today include making the last beef shank into an Instant Pot meal. 

The cabbage sitting on the counter is not looking any fresher. I know I need to do something with it very soon. I am resisting!  

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

The cabbage sitting on the counter is not looking any fresher. I know I need to do something with it very soon. I am resisting!  

Have you dismissed the stuffed cabbage idea?

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

you probably oily have one iPot up there

Sweet and sour cabbage    w some apples and possibly dried cranberries come to mind

Still strongly attached to my first two options – – Japanese style stuffed cabbage rolls and gyoza. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, lindag said:

Have you dismissed the stuffed cabbage idea?

By no means. See my answer above to another post. 

My 2004 eG Blog

The recipe.

FA7261C4-43F2-4E01-A782-75813085D035.thumb.jpeg.558706c2ad1fcb67d2a18ffaaf9a5f29.jpeg

The modified mise.  No celery for starters.   But if Thomas Keller  can turn his nose up at celery I feel no real regret that there’s none here. 

White wine? Why? It’s beef for heaven’s sake.  And beside there’s no white wine here either.

Canned tomatoes – – ditto. It is probably sacrilegious to use fresh tomatoes here and Kerry might have a kitten but her constant mantra is, “It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.”*  On that basis I am willing to take my chances. And just to be fair, Kerry has never called me for using anything!

Chicken stock – – I like a combination of chicken stock and vegetarian stock  using Better Than Boullion. 

38FBB172-E26F-4F43-B939-F28778DED3DB.thumb.jpeg.5ad283cf9a3413aef370457834b2195e.jpeg

Being vertically challenged once again it is easier for me to do the browning on the stove top rather than try to reach inside the Instant Pot which is already above eye level for me. 

It is now in the IP coming to pressure and I will give it 40 minutes instead of 35 only because I can.

If the final product warrants it, I will make the gremolata before serving. 

* credited to Rear Admiral Grace  Murray Hopper.  She is also credited with popularizing the term “bug” to denote a computer flaw. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, rotuts said:

""  But if Thomas Keller  can turn his nose up at celery ""

I though I had very little in common w TK

guess not !

hopefully he also didn't care for green bells 

and the bug was a Moth caught in the Innards !

money-mouth.gif.e9be0f6eabc006aa977bfb9b08c72105.gif

It’s always nice to think you have something in common with Thomas. And yes the bug was a moth. I’ve always found it a very interesting development of the English language.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, after 40 minutes at high pressure I’m still not particularly happy with the beef shank. It is going to get another 20 minutes. But I am beginning to question whether I am dealing with the kind of beef I am accustomed to which is corn finished supermarket beef. I do not think that Max finishes his cows on corn but rather keeps them grass-fed until they are processed and I am not at all used to working with grass-fed beef.

Much more production today may not happen as, in my effort to save a pan which I thought I had ruined, I didn’t bother to grab a towel first. Consequently I have one nasty burn on my working hand.  Nothing that needs medical attention but damn it stings.

I did manage to throw two small sweet potatoes into the CSO before they became much older. Mashed with some butter and who knows what else they tend to make a good part of meal for youngster. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Much more production today may not happen as, in my effort to save a pan which I thought I had ruined, I didn’t bother to grab a towel first. Consequently I have one nasty burn on my working hand.  Nothing that needs medical attention but damn it stings.

Ouch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Lunch for me it was a cup of coffee and a plum. No photograph unfortunately which gives Kerry an opportunity to rib me because I hound her incessantly about posting photographs. 

Still not very pleased with the beef but it’s definitely falling off the bone tender. I am hoping that I can skim the fat off the braising liquid and reduce it before dinner time. Somewhere I am positive there’s a gravy separator here but I haven’t found it yet. Worse comes to worst I will resort to the old pour it into a Ziploc bag and cut off the corner!   There is also some osmazome In the refrigerator and I’m planning on combining it in some way with the braising liquid In the hopes of boosting the umami quotient. 

Sides I think will be glazed carrots and the rest of the sugar snaps.   Both can be more or less prepared ahead of time and finished a la minute. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog