• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

@Kerry Beal  How'd the Mordor cake go over with the staff?    I think its wonderful that you did one from scratch, too!  The texture of both look lovely in the photos.  Hoping they tasted yummy!!!

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

@Kerry Beal  How'd the Mordor cake go over with the staff?    I think its wonderful that you did one from scratch, too!  The texture of both look lovely in the photos.  Hoping they tasted yummy!!!

Both went over well - they were split on who liked which best.

• Like 7

94DA0E3D-FAB8-4AE7-955C-52E3A764A078.thumb.jpeg.c1720b28369b3e5a80454700408f888e.jpeg

An aged negroni from a different angle for the one who is not removing fish hooks from human flesh!

6DAD3DC2-4CDD-4A8C-B3EE-6EB61040C882.thumb.jpeg.11b49ccb5547dabe00e1943a15b09d06.jpeg

The sous vide pork loin just after it had been seared in a cast-iron frypan. This roast did not disappoint.  It was tender and juicy and tasty.  

• Like 22

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

94DA0E3D-FAB8-4AE7-955C-52E3A764A078.thumb.jpeg.c1720b28369b3e5a80454700408f888e.jpeg

An aged negroni from a different angle for the one who is not removing fish hooks from human flesh!

6DAD3DC2-4CDD-4A8C-B3EE-6EB61040C882.thumb.jpeg.11b49ccb5547dabe00e1943a15b09d06.jpeg

The sous vide pork loin just after it had been seared in a cast-iron frypan. This roast did not disappoint.  It was tender and juicy and tasty.  

I will now need to SV a pork loin.  

I wonder how many hooks Kerry removes while you guys are up there on average?  The fisherwoman in me wants to know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I may have mentioned it before - I have my own hook cutting side cutters that I use here and in Dunnville - I got them after a particularly bad year up here where I had to get the guys from maintenance in every time I had a hook that needed cutting because my hands weren't strong enough.

Today I took out two - one from a guy I took one out of last year! He'd moved to titanium hooks - but my side cutters did yeoman's service and made sort work of them.

Probably at least a dozen every year.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

One of these years I'm going to have to venture out and get in touch with civilization... I didn't even know going to the hospital to get a hook out was a thing unless it's stuck in your eye or something like that. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

One of these years I'm going to have to venture out and get in touch with civilization... I didn't even know going to the hospital to get a hook out was a thing unless it's stuck in your eye or something like that. :D

I had one a couple of weeks ago that he'd cut off right at the skin - could not find it to save my life - spent about an hour. Off to Plastics in a day or two.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I had one a couple of weeks ago that he'd cut off right at the skin - could not find it to save my life - spent about an hour. Off to Plastics in a day or two.

Yeah, some things really are better left to the experts, I'm just a stubborn ass. I once had a piece of wire from a wire wheel on a grinder shoot into the white part of my eyeball and I just went to a mirror, pulled it out with tweezers, rinsed my eye out and went back to what I was doing. Mentioned it to my eye doctor the next time I had to go for an eye checkup and he wasn't impressed. So anything I say in regards to anything medical related is probably best ignored. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

As an aging punk rocker, I'm inclined to suggest stringing some beads on the monofilament and calling it jewelry. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Good morning. Another beautiful day in Little Current.  No time for breakfast this morning. Kerry has just popped over to the hospital to clean up from her shift and then we will be heading out to Gore Bay again.  The butcher, Max, is open to the public only on Fridays and Saturdays or by appointment. We have an appointment to pick up some pork. Unfortunately he had made all of the belly of the pig he slaughtered into bacon before looking at our order where we had asked for 3 pounds of pork belly in one piece!  Ah well.  

We need to pick up a couple more beef shanks for some experiments and we need to deliver to Max the accessories and instructions for the Big Easy Oil-less turkey fryer which Kerry offloaded on him as her first venture into downsizing.  Max was absolutely delighted and will surely put it to good use. 

What other adventures we might get up to out there remains to be seen.

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

One thing I love about small towns in Ontario (and abroad) are the relationships you are able to form with local specialties, like Max for example.

Need to move out of Toronto and get to gods country!

As you ladies head out on your treks today, we are headed to Wonderland.  Should be a nice one out - looking forward to more tales upon return!

41 minutes ago, TicTac said:

One thing I love about small towns in Ontario (and abroad) are the relationships you are able to form with local specialties, like Max for example.

Need to move out of Toronto and get to gods country!

As you ladies head out on your treks today, we are headed to Wonderland.  Should be a nice one out - looking forward to more tales upon return!

Must say I’d rather be visiting a butcher than Wonderland!   But I still wish you a good day there. I’ve been a couple of times many years ago and enjoyed a beer in the beer garden but that was about it.:)

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

That's a nice looking roast - some fat, and almost looks like a blade end roast.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9408A77A-8524-49B3-ACF1-F32CA0EE991F.thumb.jpeg.bc7b1ff0c01654f4d635b2cf8fcf9644.jpeg

We have been to see Max. No pork it’s a long story. But we are now in Mindemoya and were amused by this sign as we pulled up to park in front of the hardware store.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

That's a nice looking roast - some fat, and almost looks like a blade end roast.

It was cut a little unevenly which is I think is affecting how it is being seen in the photograph. But it was definitely a loin of pork. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Maybe he will have pork for you at a later date?

Apparently Max had our order right within his line of sight and still managed to turn all of the pork belly into bacon!   Then the people who actually process meat  were not prepared to set up to process just 3 pounds of ground pork. Not that we actually wanted 3 pounds — 1 lb would’ve been enough.  But apparently setting up and tearing down the machinery cannot be justified until you’re going to go into major production so we understand.   We will be going back later for some beef.  Pork we may have to source elsewhere — at least the pork belly. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

One of Kira’s carers had recommended a newly opened café in Mindemoya called the Grill and Chill. After a trip into Williamson’s Hardware and a wander through the grocery store, we found the place and had some lunch. 

43650471-FDEA-4F6A-9988-D1FD5AA956F5.jpeg.16c983b126fb3b4b11a3fd43b52c5b27.jpeg

Tea with lots of milk for Kerry. 

73F5245A-023B-4B5C-BA70-B566A3BFCDBC.jpeg.998997e681eb0320a7c49aef947b39fa.jpeg

Also for Kerry a caesar salad (with the requisite croutons).  

AEA80ED4-56B7-4193-BD3E-10588B2FDAA2.jpeg.fce9f7314a895aa9ba692985569ae2f4.jpeg

Garden salad for me with ranch dressing.

2D8AD984-80CC-45FF-8D57-DF74690E37CF.jpeg.9c5c26f0526b12cff2e745321d066b02.jpeg

Pork chops for Kerry. Hold the potatoes. 

3D6C5E80-3294-4373-867E-0B245A6C7278.jpeg.f3afe6799056969c9e6743d6ebe9ad48.jpeg

Salisbury steak for me.  I barely made inroads into the french fries. I left enough to feed a small Third World country for at least a month.

The salads were fresh. The Salisbury steak was exactly what I was hoping for. Kerry enjoyed her pork chops.  All in all a very satisfactory lunch.  

However we did feel as though we had blundered into somebody’s dining room. The people at the table next to us were being greeted warmly by everyone who came in. Oh the joys of small town living.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

57711273-5478-4CDD-A9BE-6EF6534ACD9D.thumb.jpeg.6fc7b0ea01c2d794d98cf907dd514adf.jpeg

So this photograph will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt just how much influence I have over Kerry Beal. None. 

0E709DAD-D63A-4626-8E35-1C2719F4D771.thumb.jpeg.ae01dee41ad63971ed89414074f49045.jpeg

Some herbs that we should have no trouble killing.

15EFCBA0-3C64-48E9-9DB5-6637B16BE1D4.thumb.jpeg.110ad0794670eb3357741ec0f8f2e0f2.jpeg

1BD85907-8DDB-4464-8578-3AA90D800BB5.thumb.jpeg.3767229996c4ffed98abc6cf96dfd48b.jpeg

And a fun puzzle. What is in the box from Amazon? Here’s a hint — it’s not food related. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Apparently Max had our order right within his line of sight and still managed to turn all of the pork belly into bacon!   Then the people who actually process meat  were not prepared to set up to process just 3 pounds of ground pork. Not that we actually wanted 3 pounds — 1 lb would’ve been enough.  But apparently setting up and tearing down the machinery cannot be justified until you’re going to go into major production so we understand.   We will be going back later for some beef.  Pork we may have to source elsewhere — at least the pork belly. 

I hope Max realizes how many people were depending on him for your pork.

😛😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Must say I’d rather be visiting a butcher than Wonderland!   But I still wish you a good day there. I’ve been a couple of times many years ago and enjoyed a beer in the beer garden but that was about it.:)

Thanks Anna - it was a beautiful day for it - though when we pulled into the lineup to get into the parking lot, we noticed a huge police presence - ETF teams, helicopter circling above, etc - low and behold, in this wonderful world we live in, Terrorist threats were made towards the GTA and York.  At first we were hesitant and were going to leave, but I do not believe in living in fear, and surely if it was that serious they would not have opened the park!  We are back home now after numerous water slides and multiple trips down the lazy river. 

I would enjoy beer there, if they didn't charge $12 for a small pint!

Hope you ladies have had a nice day!

• Like 2