• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

@rotuts

Regarding the faux ageing of the steaks:

Assuming we actually find the Red Boat when we complete the unpacking — I am positive we have some here— can you clarify what I am doing step-by-step, please.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

This was a link provided on this procedure. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-aged-grilled-rib-eyes

Thanks. It’s all coming back to me now. 

@rotuts

Is this the same process you are advocating?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. It’s all coming back to me now. 

@rotuts

Is this the same process you are advocating?

Just in case @rotuts is getting himself in position for tonight's fireworks show at Boston Harbor and you need information now, here are two of his recent posts about his treatment. I'm sure he'll weigh in later.

In the "What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)" topic he began his exposition on the idea of using Red Boat 40 on 4 strip steaks, here (and subsequent posts).

Yesterday, in the "Dinner 2018" topic, he summarized.

In both cases he's stressed going lightly on the fish sauce: 3 - 6 drops only, delicately painted on.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Just in case @rotuts is getting himself in position for tonight's fireworks show at Boston Harbor and you need information now, here are two of his recent posts about his treatment. I'm sure he'll weigh in later.

In the "What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)" topic he began his exposition on the idea of using Red Boat 40 on 4 strip steaks, here (and subsequent posts).

Yesterday, in the "Dinner 2018" topic, he summarized.

In both cases he's stressed going lightly on the fish sauce: 3 - 6 drops only, delicately painted on.

Thank you.  Still have not excavated that box!   I'm sure it will turn up. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive done it differently

I have not tried the 3 day in bag // 3 day in cheese cloth

so I can't say which I feel is better

I do two days on a clean rack over a pan in the coldest part of the refirg 

I though about 3 but more or less chicken out.     I also didn't want to go to the trouble of using cheese cloth

as I ahd to find some , wrap and unwrap.   hard work !

I coat each side and use my clean finger to move the RB40 around including the fast sides

then flip and do the other side.   I use enough FS to coat each side but leave no pools.   4 - 6 ++ drops each side

the steak dries over the 2 days  I can see and feel it on each side.   I tent w parchment paper but the pp

does not really touch the steak   I suppose after 24 hours you can flip the steaks 

but I did not do this all the time. some of the time , but it doesn't seem to be inmprtant

the rack was over a 1/3 seer pan and thus about 1/2 inch above the pan

when the come put of the refirg I SV  at 130  for 4 hours.  less time might be fine.

Ive chilled the bags and fz or kept them cold for steak sandwiches.

I have not had them for a " steak dinner which id use a torch

for the sandwiches I cut the steaks in 2 and re-bagged 1/2oved a steak is enough for me for a decent sandwich.

Ive also carefully removed all the fat/grizzle from the sides , then cut the cold steaks ( right out of the refit ) in 1/2

as its easier to put the steaks on their sides for slicing thinly.  the cut surfaces is flat and works well

a sharp knife is nice here

i let the steaks come up to room temp naturally before i make the sandwich.

no fishy aroma after SV.   just FS and nothing else has worked for me , but Id be interested in thoughts on this.

the steaks were so good I didn't want to fiddle

thinking about s lilght dusting of Penzey's granulated garlic after the 2 days in the refit some day.

I did 16 whole steaks total (  32 1/2 units ) and have has about 8 - 9 so far for sandwiches.

love to see what you do and how they turn out.

p.s.: several times a zillion years ago I saw the fireworks on a clear night

on the top floor / deck of large hospitals in BOS overlooking the basin where the 12 shell is

where the BostonPops  do the 4th of July concert  I could hear the piccolo ' semi-solo '

clearly I was that close.

now I just wait at home for the B--52  or fighter planes or B-2 boomer to quite literraly fly over my

house on the way to downtown BOS.

people get there at the cerack of dawn w a blaket to steak ( ha ha ) out their grid.

they are gong to have a nightly fine A++  miserable day :

no clouds in the sky ,  96 ++   and humid !

best of luck to them !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, curls said:

Wonderful, I wouldn't want you to have all that lovely cheese and lack mushrooms.

Speaking of wonderful cheeses – – this morning I set about listing all of the cheeses awaiting our exploration:

Gruyere premiere cru
Five brothers reserve
Five brothers
Mountain oak extra old Gouda
Coastal cheddar
Valdeon blue
12 months old Manchego
Shepherd’s harvest
Comte cyclaman
Marieke gouda
Fontina Valle d’Aista D.O.P.
Smoked blue Benedictine

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

love to see what you do and how they turn out.

May have to send Kerry back to the store for more steaks so we can do more experiments.  xD  Just kidding. I think we will try your method first. It sounds simple and effective.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I think w this method

you get both flavoring and drying at the same time.

next time Ill try three days on the rack.

the 3d / 3 d might be more intense

can't say

to review :   this is the sandwich shot ;

5af5eafd92371_WSs4.thumb.jpg.bfb149dba2a0c8b859a55f4b216315e8.jpg.cba5237a9206c71c4f0906faf69f331b.jpg

save that jus to add to me meat in the sandwich !

two last thoughts ;

the meat is not fishy in any way.  and its not salty either , but i prefer to add salt rather than subtract

Im sure they steaks can take more FS than I used , but I was a bit chicken at first.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

E3021E8B-B5C4-4CDB-AA54-9BEF77F396E5.thumb.jpeg.e00b635f01f0727efa580cd85dbb72ef.jpeg

Friends don’t let friends drink when they are on duty. That doesn’t stop them having one themselves.  An aged Negroni for an aged imbiber. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Im going to be on top of this

as soon as the weather breaks

vis Total Wine

I got close once   ..... couldn't find the Campari or perhaps the Vermouth Rouge

but I do have this on my Desk Top :

negroni-646.jpg.dab112a3b870ccb9e1fac6565b706cbc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I find good cheese is most enjoyed at room temp with a good baguette, some butter, perhaps honey, even a fruit or two.  Oh, and wine.  Cannot forget the wine.

Worry not Anna, you are not imbibing alone!  I have opened our red for tonight (2010 Palazzo Brunello) and am sampling a small glass.....purely for QC purposes, rest assured!

Edited by TicTac
diction (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

coaching provided by Anna -

My nerves are shot!  Had to have that negroni!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

34C3CD1D-6D89-454D-9AB9-E7D90295C239.thumb.jpeg.0ffe9444eefa24d48cd360bcdd403025.jpeg

When you find a combination that works ...  Must use up that rotisserie chicken. Tonight I chopped it up, mixed it with some chopped kimchi, tossed in a sliced scallion for colour and snarfed it back. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

04A8452C-37C9-48E6-A198-D70074886EFD.thumb.jpeg.190c15636cb1119116da3e2dd92e9666.jpeg

Dessert for me. Kerry grabbed these at the grocery store because she knows how much I love cherries.   And as you know,   no good deed goes unpunished.  So for dessert she got to return to the emergency ward for a few more hours!  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

room temp

cherry  what ever

might be nice

perhaps with some Crumble ?

I like my cherries raw.  Never been much of a fan of cough syrup.xD

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

But have you tried Bonne Maman Cherry Jam!?

mmmmm

Hubby loved cherry jam. Me — not so much. I actually made cherry jam not so long ago. It is likely aging in my beer fridge!  

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

59 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I like my cherries raw.  Never been much of a fan of cough syrup.xD

I tend to prefer cherries fresh also. Clafoutis, jams, pies, sauces are good but not as pleasing as the fresh fruit itself. I sometimes pit and halve them and serve them with a bit of ice cream or yogurt. But many times I just pit them in my mouth....  xD

@Anna N, how do you two like your Negroni mixed? Do you use equal proportions of the gin, Campari, vermouth? I prefer to use a bit less Campari. I believe my first Negroni was after reading about you and @Kerry Beal enjoying them and I found a bottle of Campari languishing at the back of the 'cabinet' and made a couple. My husband didn't like it that much (he loves Manhattans), but I have one every now and then. So thanks for that!   :)

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

You think I like negronis for the taste?   It’s the only cocktail I know that matches my math skills.  And you want me to start fractionating?  :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

You think I like negronis for the taste?   It’s the only cocktail I know that matches my math skills.  And you want me to start fractionating?  :o

🤣

That comment will get me through my entire boring afternoon workshop ... Thank you !!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4