• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spruce syrup!

Craig E

Got around to a project I've been thinking about for a while: making a piney syrup with needles from the big spruce tree in my front yard.

Prepared with a bunch of Googling, concentrating on reassuring myself that the tree was properly identified. (Apparently some trees like spruce are great, but other similar-looking species like yews are toxic!)

IMG_3776 1.png

step one: collect green branches, shake the dry needles off, bring inside and pluck.

IMG_3779 1.png

step two: combine with sugar and water (I did 1:2:2).

IMG_3780 1.png

step three: while stirring, bring to a boil for a bit, then cut the heat and let sit for a few hours

IMG_3784 1.png

step four: strain through cheesecloth

IMG_3786 1.png

step five: throw in a little vodka as a preservative.

Taste test is very appealing; now to figure out what kind of cocktails I can make with this. Open to suggestions!

Edited by Craig E
added step by step (log)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Well if you used Grey Goose vodka, you could call a vodka martini a Spruce Goose.

HC

And the vodka would take care of any germs.😂

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog