• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, btbyrd said:

You want a Peking/Beijing style wok.

Yes. The wok referred to in the PF Chang video linked to in @jemartin 's first post is a Beijing wok as shown in the video.

1931004185_beijingwok.jpg.51c92a4ec039b0109e2981581a1813b9.jpg

It reads:  Beijing Wok 36cm 10 pieces.

The company is Summit Kogyo, 123-1 Matsuhashi Tsubame-shi, Niigata, Japan

They do not appear to have a retail outlet and some of their woks have minimum purchase amounts of 10 and upwards. They do so sell a few individual woks through Chinese website Alibaba here, but not the model in the video. Amazon would be a lot easier and safer.

I can point out something that has changed in the last few years and it isn't woks. That rather hysterical Washington Times article linked to (twice) in the original post is seven years old. Things have much improved, and anyway there has never been a case reported of a Chinese wok being contaminated with lead or anything else.

On an aside, I have never seen anyone use a wok burner domestically in over 20 years in China. I wouldn't know where to buy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Yes. The wok referred to in the PF Chang video linked to in @jemartin 's first post is a Beijing wok as shown in the video.

They do not appear to have a retail outlet and some of their woks have minimum purchase amounts of 10 and upwards. They do so sell a few individual woks through Chinese website Alibaba here, but not the model in the video. Amazon would be a lot easier and safer.

I can point out something that has changed in the last few years and it isn't woks. That rather hysterical Washington Times article linked to (twice in the original post) is seven years old. Things have much improved, but anyway there has never been a case reported of a wok being contaminated with lead or anything else.

On an aside, I have never seen anyone use a wok burner domestically in over 20 years in China. I wouldn't know where to buy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

On an aside, I have never seen anyone use a wok burner domestically in over 20 years in China. Wouldn't know where to buy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

They do not appear to have a retail outlet and some of their woks have minimum amounts of been 10 and upwards. They do so sell a few individual woks through Chinese website Alibaba here, but not the model in the video. Amazon would be a lot easier and safer.

On an aside, I have never seen anyone use a wok burner domestically in over 20 years in China. Wouldn't know where to buy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yes. The wok referred to in the PF Chang video linked to in @jemartin's first post is a Beijing wok as shown in the video.

They do not appear to have a retail outlet and some of their woks have minimum amounts of been 10 and upwards. They do so sell a few individual woks through Chinese website Alibaba here, but not the model in the video. Amazon would be a lot easier and safer.