• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jemartin

jemartin

49 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wok technology has not changed that much.

My post was about a lot more than just wok technology... it also discusses burners and the best items from a product safety perspective based on specific criteria.  The thread from 2005 you referred to makes no mention of this, and does not discuss products from the perspective of the product safety criteria I mentioned in my initial post. The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

Even if a company releases a burner or wok in 2005 that seems to work well at that time, that may later be taken off the market and replaced with other newer products for product safety reasons, durability issues, design flaws, or other issues. For example, while this wok is still on the market and presumably uses the same wok technology as many woks from a long time ago, reviewers of this particular product on the Amazon page are clearly criticizing this product because of design flaws and durability issues associated with the handle breaking off during cooking.  There may be similar issues with some particular burner from 2005, there may be better burners available in 2018 that don't have these design flaws or durability issues, or perhaps a particular burner or wok model from 2005 referred to in the thread is no longer even available. 

But again, all of that aside, the thread you referred to makes no reference to the product safety issues I brought up in my initial post.

jemartin

jemartin

42 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My post was about a lot more than just wok technology... it also discusses burners and the best items from a product safety perspective based on specific criteria.  The thread from 2005 you referred to makes no mention of this, and does not discuss products from the perspective of the product safety criteria I mentioned in my initial post. The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

Even if a company releases a burner or wok in 2005 that seems to work well at that time, that may later be taken off the market and replaced with other newer products for product safety reasons, durability issues, design flaws, or other issues. For example, while this wok is still on the market and presumably uses the same wok technology as many woks from a long time ago, reviewers of this particular product on the Amazon page are clearly criticizing this product because of design flaws and durability issues associated with the handle breaking off during cooking.  There may be similar issues with some particular burner from 2005, or perhaps a particular burner model from 2005 is no longer even available. 

But again, all of that aside, the thread you referred to makes no reference to the product safety issues I brought up in my initial post.

jemartin

jemartin

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Even if a company releases a burner or wok in 2005 that seems to work well at that time, that may later be taken off the market and replaced with other newer products for product safety reasons, durability issues, design flaws, or other issues. For example, while this wok is still on the market and presumably uses the same wok technology as many woks from a long time ago, reviewers of this particular product on the Amazon page are clearly criticizing this product because of design flaws and durability issues associated with the handle breaking off during cooking.  There may be similar issues with some particular burner from 2005, or perhaps a particular burner model from 2005 is no longer even available. 

jemartin

jemartin

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My post was about a lot more than just wok technology... it also discusses burners and the best items from a product safety perspective based on specific criteria. The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

Even if a company releases a burner or wok in 2005 that seems to work well at that time, that may later be taken off the market and replaced with other newer products for product safety reasons or other issues. 

jemartin

jemartin

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My post was about a lot more than just wok technology... it also discusses burners and the best items from a product safety perspective based on specific criteria. The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

jemartin

jemartin

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My post was about a lot more than just wok technology... The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

jemartin

jemartin

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then, and taken old ones off the market.  The basic wok or burner technology may be the same, but new companies come along and introduce new burners, some of which may be higher quality, have lower prices, be more efficient, be more durable, or be better in some other way.

jemartin

jemartin

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The available products on the market (woks, burners) have changed a lot in 13 years. Companies have surely introduced many new products since then.