• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unhulled sesame seeds

KitchenQueen

I wanted to make some of Reinhart's Pane Sicilano .which is probably the best bread on earth.  

A friend was making a supermarket run and picked up sesame seeds for me.   But it was 2 bags of unhulled. 

I've never used unhulled before.    I do not want to spend 3 days making bread that will be ruined by the wrong topping.    What can you tell me about unhulled?  

Okay, wrong flavor,  use them for something else, useless?  Do it, or don't even think about it?

This  is what Cooks’ Illustrated has to say about unhulled seeds vs hulled seeds. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Can you not return them?   At the very least the unopened package? 

I know the unhulled ones are used in Japanese cooking and Mr. Google suggests that some people do use them in baking as a replacement for the hulled variety.  But if the taste is not to your liking then I would not suggest you do that.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Actually, I could only return one, as the other is opened. I've recently moved to a lovely little neighborhood but grocers with variety are few and far between . She actually went to 4 places to find them.  Not worth the time and gas.     There must be something I can  do with them.     The taste is definitely not to my liking for the bread.

If worse comes to worse, buy a seed style bird feeder and fill it with the sesame seeds.  They will enjoy the change and

you can use the seeds up.  You could even just scatter some seeds on the ground as a test.

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1

They are considered by some to be considerably more nutritious than the hulled variety. So just as some people enjoy brown rice more than white rice…

See here.

Edited to add a link

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Could you try making a sesame brittle with them?  I have no idea how it would taste but maybe the caramel offsets some of the bitterness; and if it doesn't, dip it in chocolate ;)

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1