• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Possible Link Found Between Type 2 Diabetes and Titanium Dioxide

Lisa Shock

I found THIS bit of news at Science Daily. Turns out that the pancreas' of some people with type 2 diabetes, all of the tested samples, contained crystals of titanium dioxide, while samples of pancreas' from people who did not have type 2 diabetes did not have the crystals. This brings up the possibility that the disease might be a crystal induced inflammatory disease.

The sample size is small. More work needs to be done. I just thought I'd post this as a timely news article. I suspect that public awareness will spike for a while, and it could affect those of use producing/using certain foods. (white colored cocoa butter comes to mind, along with some powder colors for cake decorating)

• Like 2

Interesting...as my husband is type 2 diabetic despite not having any of the typical triggers (he developed it 3 years ago). Wonder if the blood work his doc orders can include this, or if it is a non-std screen.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Interesting...as my husband is type 2 diabetic despite not having any of the typical triggers (he developed it 3 years ago). Wonder if the blood work his doc orders can include this, or if it is a non-std screen.

This test isn't available unless his pancreas is removed. There's no blood test. 

This smells like bad science to me. 

• Like 1

All true, but there is a broader study in the works.

And in general, restaurants have caved in to rubbish research. Think about how many places advertise that their food is MSG free, despite there being no such thing as 'Chinese Restaurant Syndrome.' I'm just saying, don't be surprised when customers start asking if your white sugar flowers or white bonbons have titanium dioxide in them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 7:06 PM, BeeZee said:

Wonder if the blood work his doc orders can include this, or if it is a non-std screen.

If your husband is going in regularly for STD screening my feeling is that the titanium dioxide possibility is the least of your (and his) worries.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

And I recall from statistics class:

The unemployment rate in Switzerland has doubled. There are now two people out of work.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Single correlations are easy - you need to add complexity to be credible:

More than 99.5% of all men, who regularly eat broccoli at restaurants and occasionally (1-3 / week) watch CNN news eventually die.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2