• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SOLIDTeknics wrought iron pans

phatj

So there's a Kickstarter project out there now for these new pans -- intended to supplant cast iron, they're made much lighter from wrought iron which supposedly also imparts greater thermal conductivity and increased toughness. Here's the link for those interested: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/495892923/solidteknics-pans-1pc-wrought-iron-not-cast-lighte?ref=6mccke

Curious if anyone has one of these pans? Supposedly they've been available in Australia for a few years now and have been popular. 

I've been looking for information on these pans (that aren't a sales pitch) for a while. Now that I'm on induction I've also been looking hard at their one piece ferritic stainless pans.

I'll probably end up getting the wrought iron, slightly larger version of the same pan.

Kenji got a couple of them, but to my knowledge never posted an actual review of them

I looked at them a couple years back when I was in the market for pans. Maybe something has changed recently, but I believe they’re just expensive carbon steel pans. I’m happy to see that they’re coming out with some new shapes, but I don’t know that there’s anything distinctive enough about them to justify the price. For single-piece construction carbon steel pans, Dartos represent a better value. They’re also thicker. The Ausion pans look very nice and I like the design, but that price...

We have a couple of "Lightweight Cast-Iron" pans we use all the time.  We've had several of them for quite a while and they are holding up very well.  Not sure how they are much different than these other than they were a good bit less expensive.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.