• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying glaze on frozen mousse

Rajala

I've earlier sprayed cocoa butter mixed with white chocolate and some color, to get that velvety appearance on a frozen mouse petit gateaux. However, what I'm working on now needs to be sprayed with a "neutral glaze", since it wouldn't work with pouring the glaze over it - like it would with a regular cake or something.

Have anyone done this earlier? I'm not sure which kind of tools to use. I have my compressor and and a HVLP gun, but that's only 0.5mm. Not sure if that would be enough or if I should aim for something with a bit wider nozzle. I know that it would work to spray this with one of those Bosch paint sprayers etc, but I'd rather not buy more big things. :D 

Any suggestions? 

So you'll buy a new piece of equipment if someone tells you that you need to - instead of pulling out the gun you have and giving it a try? What's the worst that can happen - you need to clean the gun if it doesn't work?

• Like 1

I've done this using a 2.5 mm one, worked perfectly. Never tried with a smaller one, worst case scenario is that it clogs and you just need to clean it, so just go for it.

Beware you need to use hot neutral glaze (heat it in the microwave till it starts boiling).

Teo

Teo

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So you'll buy a new piece of equipment if someone tells you that you need to - instead of pulling out the gun you have and giving it a try? What's the worst that can happen - you need to clean the gun if it doesn't work?

Truth be told, I plan to buy a new gun anyway. That way I can have one for cb and one for things with water in it. :) It's only ~30 CAD.

16 hours ago, keychris said:

can you dip it into the glaze instead of pouring the glaze over?

That's a good suggestion, but it won't work with this little piece. You'll know why, if you see it when I'm done. I'll post a picture in some thread at least. :D 

4 hours ago, teonzo said:

I've done this using a 2.5 mm one, worked perfectly. Never tried with a smaller one, worst case scenario is that it clogs and you just need to clean it, so just go for it.

Beware you need to use hot neutral glaze (heat it in the microwave till it starts boiling).

Teo

Thanks Teo! Do you know how hot it needs to be? I've heard 60°, but maybe you can go lower after you've heated it.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:38 PM, Rajala said:

Thanks Teo! Do you know how hot it needs to be? I've heard 60°, but maybe you can go lower after you've heated it.

I never measured its temperature with accuracy. This is how I proceeded: heat the neutral glaze in the microwave until it boils (a bit more than 100° C I guess); pour it in the gun; spray until it comes out easily; when it starts to give troubles, empty the gun and reheat the neutral glaze. I never measured the temperature of the glaze when I emptied the gun, sorry, I would guess it was around 70° C. The problem is that as temperature lowers even its fluidity lowers (it becomes more viscous). Plus you have the problem that when you spray it then it gets a significant cooling in the nozzle (like happens with cocoa butter). At some point you start to have clogging problems, this depends on the nozzle size and how the gun is set (if it's diffusing a wide or narrow shot, so on).

Just start using it boiling hot then see what happens.

Teo

Teo

I'm just going to spray one little petit gateaux this time, so I don't think I need to worry that much about clogging. It's a test to see if it works with the mousse from the molds I've made. One part is just 1 cm thick, I'm thinking that it might melt a bit if it's too hot. But we'll see.

Just cooked up a batch of neutral glaze and got the new hvlp gun with the mail today. Test starts tomorrow. :)

Success! Glaze was at around 70° when I sprayed the mousse. It's a bit hard to see if you glazed it enough, when you don't color the glaze though. No clogging until I stopped spraying (I did leave the gun in the oven at 50°, to warm it up a bit, which might've helped with that.)

I'll post a picture when I've made the real attempt. This was just "faux" mousse to see if it would work. Don't want to waste expensive ingredients in the try outs. :) 

Edit: for future reference; I used a 1,5mm nozzle.

Edited by Rajala (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Looks great!

So, why did you need to spray the glaze?

Thank you!

I was told that you always need to glaze a mousse in order to prevent it from absorb moisture. 

Eh, I think that I misunderstood the intent of the question. One of the mousse layer is really thin and I didn't really want to pour over it, and from experience - pouring neutral glaze over a frozen mousse often give you a way too thick glaze on the petit gateaux/entremet. This is what this thing looks like when a piece of it is removed, as you can see from its structure, I wouldn't be able to dip it either.

image.thumb.png.0ce716c91f26f0a0c973060e1bad54cc.png

Edited by Rajala
Realized that I didn't undertand the question at first. (log)

Ah, ok.  It makes more sense now I've seen the cut - I thought it was just three stacked blocks of mousse that could be glazed separately and then stacked.

It's the opposite, in fact - you generally glaze mousses to stop them from drying out.

So what is your cake?  I can guess that there are a couple of pistachio components, but that's about it...

Oh! Must've misunderstood what they said to me. Haha, thanks for correcting me. Makes more sense :) 

One layer is almond mousse, the other is a pistachio mousse and the center is vanilla mousse with pistachio praliné and raspberry in its center. There's also a hazelnut sponge and a crispy hazelnut layer at the bottom. Lots of nuts!

• Like 1