• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa butter separated on mold

pastryani

All the same temperature? Are you tempering your colored cocoa butter? Has the container of cocoa butter been seriously overheated in the past?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

You may be able to save the bottle. I was originally taught to do a mini temper on the colored cocoa butter. Warm the bottle in a bain marie, off the heat, where the water is at 105°, let it sit in there for a while. Pour out the amount you wish to use into a tiny bowl or directly onto a silpat. Use a small offset spat to stir/table it until you can tell that it has cooled but is still liquid. If it gets too cold, you can reheat for a couple of seconds in a microwave on very low or by using your torch with a very light hand. Always make a test strip or two before investing in a project.

You can also temper the whole bottle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pastryani said:

Yes all the same temp, not tempered with silk bec the amounts are so tiny.  I don't think I overheated it, but if I did, can this be saved or is it caput?

If it has been overheated I’ve saved it sometimes by retempering - usually with the silk - depends how much it’s been overheated and the pigments damaged.

• Like 1