• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #78: The Cane Berries of Summer

David Ross

It took a few different twists and turns with the Nectarberries.  I had found the Raspberry Jam with Bitters recipe at Bon Appetit, but my nectarberry jam project really turned into more of a nectarberry compote, which turned out to be a good thing.  Then the idea morphed from serving it on an English muffin to a topping for a waffle.  I use the old-fashioned Carbon Golden Malted Waffle Mix that they've been making for nearly 90 years.  Then simply topped with some of the nectarberry compote.  I thought it might need some whipped cream, but I didn't have any and the waffle didn't suffer because of it.  Sure beats the gloppy strawberry out-of-a-can and whipped topping that chain restaurants serve.

Nectarberry Jam.JPG

Waffle with Nectarberry Compote.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

And one more nectarberry dish.  This time a pound cake I baked in individual tart molds, then vanilla ice cream and the nectarberry compote.  Probably would have been a good idea to add a sprig of mint of rosemary from the garden.

Grilled Nectarine with Nectarberry Compote.JPG 

• Like 4