• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Bentley

Making your own Colored Cocoa Butters

I want to start working on mixing my own colored cocoa butters, but not sure where to start.  Do you just buy the primary color powders and mix from there or are you working with a wider variety of pigments?  What is the best resource to learn how to create different shades?  For example, if I have a sample color that I want to match, how would I go about figuring out which pigments to use and how much of each?  Are there formulaic guides or is it all just trial and error and experience?

I saw a cocoa butter colouring pack at the school I go to a few years ago, with a chart with about a squillion colours that it told you how to make, but the price was astronomical. I can't remember the brand, but such a thing does exist. My own experience is I mix up the colours I can get as powders (10% powder / 90% cocoa butter) then make the rest up as best I can from those with a very much "that'll do" attitude to it.

3 hours ago, keychris said:

I saw a cocoa butter colouring pack at the school I go to a few years ago, with a chart with about a squillion colours that it told you how to make, but the price was astronomical. I can't remember the brand, but such a thing does exist. My own experience is I mix up the colours I can get as powders (10% powder / 90% cocoa butter) then make the rest up as best I can from those with a very much "that'll do" attitude to it.

Maybe "IBC Power Flowers" would fit that description ? Many different colors with supplied mixing charts...quite expensive from what I remember...but may be worth checking out if you want some exact coloring formulas...

• Like 1

I suggest buying a Pantene color guide...or hell, you could just go get a paint guide at the home improvement store. You have to understand the very basics of primary colors plus the use of black and white to darken/lighten/pastel.  For percentages @keychrisis right on the mark although I would say a range of 5-10% or even 15% in some cases. Andrey Dubovic's class is covering this quite a bit and all/most of the colors you're seeing those of us in the class are making ourselves according to his ratios. Here is a black currant/purple that I made this morning. Could have used a bit more red to get it to where I wanted it, but still pretty.

plum.thumb.jpg.0dac54f4e895a3e089569e539f35a7b9.jpg

• Like 1

Of the three eGullet members taking the Dubovik course, I seem to be the dissenting one on the subject of mixing colored cocoa butter from scratch. Not knowing what the classes were going to require in detail before they started, I got some basic powders from Chef Rubber. For the translucent colors Dubovik specifies, I did indeed mix my own, even though I already have a zillion bottles of mixed Chef Rubber colors, because at that point I was not sure how else to make translucent colors except to make them myself. I made those two plus a couple of others and was not pleased with any of them (no doubt user error, I freely admit). Deciding how translucent to make them is quite difficult, as is knowing how much powder to add for an opaque color. It's really trial and error because different brands (and even different colors) behave differently. I made a nice medium green (Chef Rubber's tends to be quite dark), but although it looked opaque when tested, it wasn't, and it remained quite fluid compared to the CR ones. CR does not list any ingredients other than cocoa butter and coloring (at least one other U.S. brand does include some kind of starch or something similar), but I never achieved that thicker consistency. I have noticed in the videos that when Dubovik spreads a little cocoa butter on granite to test it for temper, even the opaque colors sometimes look considerably closer to translucent than similar CR colors do.

So I have now decided that I will just use the CR bottles I have on hand and mix colors as needed. For the aforementioned black currant color, I started with CR teal and added red until it looked black currant-ish.  For a dark gray supposed to be made with black luster dust (which I did not know to purchase before the course began), I used CR silver and added some black to darken it, so I got the color and the sparkle as well. I find the mess of mixing cocoa butter not as bad as I anticipated (the straining of it is decidedly a pain), but there is definitely a mess compared with melting the contents of a bottle and pouring it out. I am not sure of the price comparison, but there does not seem to be a huge difference. I now think I could make translucent colors by simply adding plain cocoa butter to a CR bottle but have not had occasion to test that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Avachocolate said:

Maybe "IBC Power Flowers" would fit that description ? Many different colors with supplied mixing charts...quite expensive from what I remember...but may be worth checking out if you want some exact coloring formulas...

I knew someone on here would know what I was talking about, that's exactly what I was shown :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keychris said:

I knew someone on here would know what I was talking about, that's exactly what I was shown :)

I was pretty excited about those until I found they were incredibly difficult to find a source for that would ship to where I live and then, having finally found that, found out how expensive they are. The excitement was quickly diminished. I still like the idea of them though.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I was pretty excited about those until I found they were incredibly difficult to find a source for that would ship to where I live and then, having finally found that, found out how expensive they are. The excitement was quickly diminished. I still like the idea of them though.

They are expensive - but they make getting just the right colour quite easy.

• Like 1