• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food processor capacity?

Hassouni

Stupid question, but I just bought a used Robot-Coupe R2, and it claims to have a 3 qt capacity, which would make it equivalent to a 12 cup home food processor. The bowl seems TINY - is it measured all the way to the top, or what?

I tried, but the issue is the rim of the bowl is well above the top of the blade, and it's not watertight, so it's hard to get an accurate measure. Inaccurately, it would seem that 3qts is to the VERY rim of the bowl

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Inaccurately, it would seem that 3qts is to the VERY rim of the bowl

That's entirely possible. Ideally the motor is strong enough to handle 3 qts of whatever you want to make.  They're usually fine fully loaded with bread crumbs, mayonnaise, or anything not super stiff and heavy.  A large batch of something sticky and dense like marzipan is a challenge for most machines.  I'm sure you'll find the limits of yours - and hopefully there's a re-set button on the bottom for when you do.

Hummus. All I want is ultra smooth hummus....*

(on that note, anyone know which Robot-Coupe blade is best for that?)

*but also muhammara and mayyyybe falafel mix

• Like 2

I have the Cuisinart DLC-XP  20 CUP (5-Quart) and the actual capacity for very liquid stuff is actually 2 quarts as it will leak around the center shaft,  semi-liquid 3-4 quarts, dry no liquid 5 quarts.  Slicing vegetables with slicing, julienne discs, nearly full capacity to the disc level.  

These are photos of my chile verde sauce, I start out with the bowl completely full of the whole/chopped ingredients - this photo is after a few pulses so the level has dropped by a third.

1489760706_DSCN0021Move1copy.jpg.2983a0477aeec5cce9957c6eb093bebd.jpg

and it reduces to what you see in the second photo. There is a small amount of leakage at the center shaft but not as much as with very liquid mixtures.

218759821_Greensauce(pulsed)copy.thumb.jpg.12726882474a95971a4b2a10f372bd5e.jpg

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett