• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newfoundland Re-Visited

ElsieD

On to lunch! We had a great lunch today.  We had calamari, seafood chowder, which some might argue should not be called a chowder as it had no potatoes, just a lot of seafood, we also had  fish cakes and an  order of scallops.  We shared everything and finished off with blueberry cheesecake for John  and partridgeberry cake with a vanilla sauce for me.   This was good, solid food, well prepared.

As mentioned above, it is very cold here today.  The washroom at this place is in it's own little UNHEATED house and I can personally attest to the fact that the porcelain throne was very chilly.😯

20180626_133357.jpg

20180626_133814.jpg

20180626_135346.jpg

20180626_135402.jpg

20180626_141241.jpg

20180626_141237.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Changed as it contained no FISH to POTATOES, did some editing to clarify a couple of things. (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

WoW

Im on my way !

calamari

fish cakes

no crowds

Im assuming Pic # 4

20180626_135402.thumb.jpg.dc34d47243878e75c19a2c7e3182dd62.jpg.db42e3f40cb8590ca1253547b1675f21.jpg

im not going to sleep at all tonight !

PS  entre nous :  Salmon ?

I edited my post to firstly, make a correction, as in the chowder contained no potatoes (I had typed fish) and edited to clarify the other dishes.  That picture is of the scallops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

are there any Salmon to catch ?

I might sign up for that alone

I asked today about salmon fishing.  There is no commercial salmon fishing in Newfoundland, just wild salmon fishing.  The limit is one salmon per person per day.  So said some Newfoundlanders I got to talking with at lunch today.  Another interesting tidbit is that the commercial halibut fishing is restricted to one day per year.  I guess that explains the price.  The lobster season ends this weekend.  There were four people at lunch today eating huge lobsters.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I really want your lunch.  Really really want.

Well then, come on over!  We are in Twillingate at the moment in a cozy little 1 bedroom place.  If you get here tonight you can have the sofa bed and we can all go there for lunch tomorrow.  We wouldn't mind having an excuse to go back.

• Like 2

We did see a pod of whales on Sunday but I could not get any pictures.  They rise up and then disappear so quickly that all I was getting were pictures of water.  I did get one that if you enlarge it you can see a fin and over the right you can sort of see another.  No icebergs yet.

20180624_104820.jpg

• Like 5

We are leaving before too long as we are going to a concert.  There is a group here called  The Split Peas who are a group of 6 women who sing traditional Newfoundland folk songs.  The last time we were in Twillingate we went through a museum and on the way out the door, bought one of the CDs.  We really liked the music so we planned to be here when they play so we could take in one of their shows.  It is a 2 hour show and there is a break when they serve toutons and tea, which is also the name of one of their songs.  We are still stuffed from lunch so that may be our dinner as well.

• Like 6

nice

Wales

nice

as your are not going to eat them

I see a lot of mighty fine Salmon

in your pic.

after a glass or two of MR

I do see certain visions

tatty now i hope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@blue_dolphin  You are amazing.  I just watched these.  Thank you!

I figured you had enough on your hands, trying to stay warm while avoiding potholes, moose and ticks so I figured I could help add some local color.  

Also, I have a flight tonight at 12:55 AM and am procrastinating about packing my bag!

I hope your weather improves! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I figured you had enough on your hands, trying to stay warm while avoiding potholes, moose and ticks so I figured I could help add some local color.  

Also, I have a flight tonight at 12:55 AM and am procrastinating about packing my bag!

I hope your weather improves! 

Coming  to Newfoundland?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Coming  to Newfoundland?

Sadly, no.  Flying into Burlington VT (via Newark, NJ) and heading across the lake to northern NY to start clearing out my late mom's house.    The cuisine will lack the beautiful seafood you've been enjoying but I'll partake in the delicacy, a hot dog with chili sauce, known locally as a michigan.  How's that for gourmet 🙃?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sadly, no.  Flying into Burlington VT (via Newark, NJ) and heading across the lake to northern NY to start clearing out my late mom's house.    The cuisine will lack the beautiful seafood you've been enjoying but I'll partake in the delicacy, a hot dog with chili sauce, known locally as a michigan.  How's that for gourmet 🙃?

So sorry about your sad reason for heading there but MAYBE some walleye could be in the offering?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm sorry to read you are going about the sad business of closing up your mom's house.  It is a sad thing to have to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

So sorry about your sad reason for heading there but MAYBE some walleye could be in the offering?

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm sorry to read you are going about the sad business of closing up your mom's house.  It is a sad thing to have to do.

Thank you both for the kind thoughts.  It's not super fun trip but it's all OK.  I was blessed to have both of my parents for many years and enough time has passed that it's gotten easier to focus on the happy memories.  Both of my brothers are coming for a couple of days so we'll make some decisions about how to sort things out.   It will be good to see them and there will be a little time to catch up with a few old friends, too.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Last night we went to hear a group of women called The Split Peas.  We were familiar with their music having purchased a couple of their CDs on a previous trip and we had a great time.  At half time we had toutons and tea, the toutons came with a choice of molasses or partridgeberry jam.   As you can see, the show is held in a very informal setting meant to resemble a kitchen party  and audience participation was encouraged throughout, whether singing along, dancing, or interacting with the mummers.  The building it was in was unheated and not insulated so it was a bit chilly given the day but warmed up a bit as the evening went along.  Below is a picture of the group.  They are all local women and put on two shows a week during the summer.  There was also a song done called swervin' (spelling mine) and there was a group member dressed up as someone who was servin' around while the song was being played.  A picture with her and John is below.

We never did have dinner as we were too full from lunch so nothing to report on that front.  We  did eat a couple of crackers and cheese before bed but you have all seen that before.

20180626_185907.jpg

20180626_201016.jpg

• Like 12

This morning the weather seems to have improved in that it is not snowing and the winds are not gusting at 75kmh.   It is also going up to a reasonable 12 degrees and right now it is not raining although rain is called for.

We had breakfast this morning at The Cozy Tea Room in Twillingate.  The place lived up to it's name.   I had toutons with partridgeberry jam and tea John  had a breakfast sandwich of eggs, bologna and cheese  my second touton with molasses and coffee.  The food was good and the bread is made on the premises.

We are getting ready to leave the tea room and are headed to Fogo which is, not surprisingly, on Fogo Island.  We will get there via a ferry crossing.

20180627_101026.jpg

20180627_101019.jpg

• Like 8

There is a saying here that goes something like this "if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes".  It must be true because now we need our 😎😎

• Like 5
  • Haha 1