• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newfoundland Re-Visited

ElsieD

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Shoot!!  First semi smart phone and I still haven't figured it out yet.

Was going to ask if you had gotten a chance this trip or one of your others to try the local cheese from Five Brothers and if so how was it?  The website says it is served at Tavola...

John has tried local wines and we have tried the local jams and jellies which I adore because they aren't too sweet.

P.S.  Didn't see your p.s. until I just re-read your post.  We are in Trepassey and tomorrow we are heading over to bird Cape St. Mary's.  Found an interesting cook here who makes his fish cakes with fresh steamed cod, rough masef potatoes and chives then serbes them with a lemon dill cream sauce.

We did not try the cheese.  We have had some local pinot which is okay as a quaffing wine.

We are not going to Newfoundland but @Kerry Beal and I are going to enjoy some Five Brothers cheese up in Manitoulin. We have both a young and an aged version to enjoy. It is very similar to a mature Comte. Very nice. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

20180630_134656.jpg

20180630_134643.jpg

Oh.....so sad.  I can totally identify as sometimes I have a taste in my head of what I want to eat and then nothing else will come up to scratch.

Sad thing is that your pictures make the food look fabulous.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We have just come back from dinner at Oliver's and had a much happier experience.  I had the seafood platter and John had the seafood fettuccine.  We were given some bread with molasses butter and the butter was addictive.  Everything was really good.  We looked st the dessert menu but decided we were too stuffed.  We did have a nice pinot grigio with our meal.  We have done a lot more eating than we are accustomed to and in a way it will be good to get back to our normal eating habits.  I guess.😕

20180630_190934.jpg

20180630_184733.jpg

20180630_190957.jpg

20180630_185232.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

We are now at the St. John's airport waiting to board.  It is 10C here this morning and when we woke up it was to a thick fog.  Thankfully, it has burned off.  It will be odd to get home to sweltering heat, but we are looking forward to getting home.  We have enjoyed our trip and thank you all for following along.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

We are now at the St. John's airport waiting to board.  It is 10C here this morning and when we woke up it was to a thick fog.  Thankfully, it has burned off.  It will be odd to get home to sweltering heat, but we are looking forward to getting home.  We have enjoyed our trip and thank you all for following along.

Indeed - will be hard to go from snow to what's going to hit you in Ottawa.

• Like 3

I'm glad your final big meal was a happier experience than its predecessor; that makes for a happier memory. I appreciate the menu pics also, as they can provide some ideas for me to try later. Thanks for bringing us along!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks for taking us along.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We are home, landing on time in the heat.  It is 33C here, with the humidex it is 45C.  It seldom gets this hot and is quite a change.  I thought I would pass on a few of the quaint names we saw in our travels.  

Jumper's Brook
Tickle Point
Toogood arm
Squid jigging road
Seldom
Little Seldom
Little Heart's Ease
Come by chance
Dildo 
Butter Pot provincial park

I did get my puffin prints, a picture is below.  I'll get them framed and hang them in our foyer next to the loon.

My overall impression having been there three times in four years is that if we went again  I would concentrate on the east side of the island.  There is lots to see on that side.  I found on the western side there was a lot of driving through a lot of empty spaces which wasn't very interesting.  Mind you, there are some spaces on the west side that are best avoided for the same reason so it pays to do your homework.   If you have never been, I'd encourage you to go.  The scenery is spectacular (I know, there's that word again, but that is the only word that does it justice), and the people are amazing.  The food is good, some of it very good, but most of the time is not fancy.  Should you ever decide to go, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Elsie

20180701_122509.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I just got to read this, start to finish. Thank you for letting me tag along. Quite the adventure.

• Like 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

20 hours ago, caroled said:

I just got to read this, start to finish. Thank you for letting me tag along. Quite the adventure.

Me, too!  Don't know how I missed it!  Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:44 PM, ElsieD said:

We are home, landing on time in the heat.  It is 33C here, with the humidex it is 45C.  It seldom gets this hot and is quite a change.  I thought I would pass on a few of the quaint names we saw in our travels.  

Dildo 

Ok.  I wondered if we were just going to ignore this.  Or if I was the only 10 year old in the bunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Me, too!  Don't know how I missed it!  Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip.

Ok.  I wondered if we were just going to ignore this.  Or if I was the only 10 year old in the bunch.

I had to sit on my hands to not type anything.

• Haha 5

not that this is really revenant in Newfoundland

but

there are a lot of interesting names for towns in the Amish country W of Philadelphia

you can look for them yourselves

these are real places.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

In the days before Google, a guy with a good map of Newfoundland could make a few bucks off fools who were willing to bet there was no such place.

Just for the record, there's also a South Dildo.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here’s a link to a recent newspaper article about a craft brewery in Dildo Brewery in Dildo Dodges Racy Beer Names - for the most part

And a quote from from the story:

He said the town’s name is sometimes met with incredulity: recently, he said an equipment shipment to the brewery was held up in U.S. customs for nine days after there was some confusion over the name of its destination.

In his childhood years, Rodrigues said he and his friends had to lie about where they were from while signing up for a national fundraising event over the phone because they would get hung up on when they told the truth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cheers,

Anne