• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newfoundland Re-Visited

ElsieD

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

This afternoon driving to Springdale we decided to take 422 to the trans canada highway (TCH) instead of continuing on 430.  We started out on paved road, which turned to gravel which turned to the narrow ......what do you call this, anyway? First we had the mini lakes then sizable holes then what looked to be a pathway.  I had my eyes peeled the whole time for moose and we were not disappointed as we saw a female standing on the road.  We briefly stared at each other, the moose and us, that is, then we both grabbed tablets and phones to try to take a picture.  Alas, she trotted off before we could.  We still had a ways to go and it was such a bone jarring trip, the whole time we were on high alert as we figured where there was one moose, there had to be more.  @chromedome do they travel in packs or are they solitary creatures?  We finally caught a glimpse of the highway and a track running down to it so we drove out of there and got on the TCH.  About 1/4 km up we saw the entrance/exit to this miserable excuse for a road.  The entrance was paved and looked like a proper road.  We were also concerned because we only had 1/4 tank of gas, we saw no one else on this stretch, which ran for about 16 km and there was no cellular service.  

This is what the road looked like in progressive photographs.

20180625_164850.jpg

Now that's a pothole!

• Haha 1

We got to our hotel around 6 and managed to sweet-talk our way into an upgraded room.  That made us happy😁 although the regular rooms are pretty nice too.

Then we had to make a decision on where to eat.  We had thought to go to one of two places at King's Point, about 18 km from here.  The one place was a food truck which had rave reviews but we didn't feel like eating in the car, and the only other option was to sit outside at a picnic table but the temperatures already was only 7 degrees and falling so too cold to sit outside.  That left the option of the restaurant we went to last time which has a lovely setting but average food.  We deemed  the drive there and back for not great fare a non-starter so we went to this little dinner around the corner. I had pan fried cod, John had fish and chips.  The food was good, not spectacular, especially not the canned peas but the service was friendly and the fish properly cooked.  We got a piece of coconut cream pie to go which they cut in half so we could share it, put it in two containers and supplied us with knives and forks.  We will have it later.

20180625_185000.jpg

20180625_185007.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Is it just me, or does it look cold?

Nancy in (rainy) Patzcuaro

It  is  cold.  Yesterday it rained pretty much all day so it was cold and damp.  Today it did not rain, but wasn't particularly warm.  Tomorrow's high is around the 6 degree mark but I don't mind as long as it is dry.  We brought some warm clothesxwith us.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I had my eyes peeled the whole time for moose and we were not disappointed as we saw a female standing on the road.  We briefly stared at each other, the moose and us, that is, then we both grabbed tablets and phones to try to take a picture.  Alas, she trotted off before we could.  We still had a ways to go and it was such a bone jarring trip, the whole time we were on high alert as we figured where there was one moose, there had to be more.  @chromedome do they travel in packs or are they solitary creatures? 

They're mostly solitary, but during mating season a bull will assemble a small harem so it's not entirely uncommon to see a handful of cows in relatively close proximity. You'll also see them congregate together loosely in areas where food is plentiful (not hanging out together, as such...more like humans passing each other at the supermarket).

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When we left our hotel this morning I promptly lost my internet connection hence this delayed note.  The weather is not very nice, rain bordering on snow with a current temperature of 2 degrees celcius.  Predicted high is 5.

Breakfast was a continental, help yourself type of thing.  The usual cereal, toast, fruit etc.  Nothing exciting, no complaints.  What is exciting is that we are headed to Hillgrade for lunch.  A couple of you have said they are following us on the map, and Hillgrade may be hard to find.  We will take the 340 exit from the TCH which is past Grand Falls-Windsor, going up to Lewisporte.  We meander along past Dildo Run Provincial Park and Hillgrade is between there  and Twillingate, Twillingate being today's destination.  Once we get off  the TCH I hope to find a craft store or two to poke around in.  At home the only kind of shopping I enjoy is food related, in Newfoundland I expand my shopping like s to include craft stores

Egads, we just passed SNOW on the sides of the highway!

20180626_091819.jpg

20180626_104621.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@chromedome

20180625_164308.jpg

20180625_164850.jpg

The term 'off the beaten path' comes to mind.  I think this must be a far removed uncle of said path, because it has been beaten many times from the looks, but the path remains, amazingly!

Love the blog - thank you.  Living in Ontario, it is so nice to see other parts of our beautiful country.  NFLD is on my list, having been to NS, I can attest to the awesomeness that is the Canadian East Coast (especially the people and the food!!)!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kayb said:

If it just weren't so cold....I think I could very easily become a Canadian.

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Maybe we could make you an honorary Canadian?

Or perhaps we could just include a Canada Goose -30 rated Parka as part of their citizenship ceremony!?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TicTac said:

The term 'off the beaten path' comes to mind.  I think this must be a far removed uncle of said path, because it has been beaten many times from the looks, but the path remains, amazingly!

Love the blog - thank you.  Living in Ontario, it is so nice to see other parts of our beautiful country.  NFLD is on my list, having been to NS, I can attest to the awesomeness that is the Canadian East Coast (especially the people and the food!!)!

There is something about this place that gets under your skin.  This is our third trip in 4 years.  I was here several times on business trips in the 1980s and had the good fortune to spend a weekend at an outport with family of a friend.  I fell in love with it then, although it took many years before I came back.  I have also traveled through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and they too are wonderful places, although quite different from Newfoundland, at least to me.  I agree with you that we live in a beautiful country try.  As they say, there's no place like home.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Remind me why you went there....

We clearly picked the wrong month.  We have since found out that a lot of places don't open until July 1 and are only open for July and August.  Still, we love the place and are enjoying ourselves (but would have liked better weather).

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Or perhaps we could just include a Canada Goose -30 rated Parka as part of their citizenship ceremony!?

Excellent idea.  How does that sound, @kayb ?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

A couple of you have said they are following us on the map, and Hillgrade may be hard to find.  We will take the 340 exit from the TCH which is past Grand Falls-Windsor, going up to Lewisporte.  We meander along past Dildo Run Provincial Park and Hillgrade is between there  and Twillingate, Twillingate being today's destination

Google maps seemed to know the place.  Whether they'd actually get you there on passable roads is another question!  

Newfoundland map - Stephenville to Twillingate

You guys are covering quite a lot of territory!

• Like 3

Ouch

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Loving your blog! 

We had planned to go to the Maritimes & Nfld this year, around this time. Now I am not disappointed things got in the way of that, seeing that there's snow on the ground - in summer!!

When is the best time to visit? 

Bookmarking your blogs for our future trip!

• Like 1

@ElsieD, I've only seen roads like that in Costa Rica and Bhutan - though in Costa Rica it was pouring rain and in Bhutan there was usually a sheer drop-off on one side.  So Canadian single-tracks are still a step above!  I hope you have a safe journey :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

@ElsieD, I've only seen roads like that in Costa Rica and Bhutan - though in Costa Rica it was pouring rain and in Bhutan there was usually a sheer drop-off on one side.  So Canadian single-tracks are still a step above!  I hope you have a safe journey :)

Unless they are a logging road!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

Loving your blog! 

We had planned to go to the Maritimes & Nfld this year, around this time. Now I am not disappointed things got in the way of that, seeing that there's snow on the ground - in summer!!

When is the best time to visit? 

Bookmarking your blogs for our future trip!

The previous two trips were in August/September and we had great weather.  We will be getting better weather later this week but I have to say today is miserable.  

• Sad 3