• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pecan pie Bonbon

Westy

If you have a mold with deep enough cavities, you could do a variation on what I have done with these flavors:  Put a little caramel in the bottom of each cavity and let it firm up a bit. Then make a pecan gianduja with milk chocolate (you can caramelize the pecans first if you want even more caramel flavor). I haven't tried the following idea, but I plan to do so:  Add some molasses powder to the gianduja to provide that brown sugar taste. Pipe a little of the gianduja over the caramel to cover it completely. Then add a thin cookie (I use shortbread) made a bit smaller than the cavity diameter. Pipe in more gianduja to cover the cookie (you can see why these cavities have to be large). This way you get the taste of toasted pecans, brown sugar, caramel--and even the crust (and the cookie stays crisp because it is surrounded by the non-water-based gianduja).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Try Valrhona Orelys for a brown sugar flavor, or Dulcey for a dulce de leche type caramel flavor in your ganache.

I forgot Orelys! You pointed that out to me some time ago, I ordered a kilo of it, liked it a lot, ordered a 3kg bag but haven't used it yet. I plan to use that combo the next time I make my chocolate chip cookie truffles.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have Valrhona Dulche that i planned to use for the shell. Don’t have molasses powder. I thought about making a Carmel with brown sugar. 

• Like 1

Dulce is super delicious but I've found that it can overpower some more subtle flavors (though for pecan caramel I think the flavors would be complementary).  Just for kicks you could try making a small amount of filling with both white and dulcey and see which you like better. :smile:

Vanilla bean caramel piped in top,  made the moscavado sablee ( MC recipe) cut into squares. Second layer was a bit of pecan gianduja piped in and placed the cookie piece and  on top of that and final layer of gianduja, as per Jim’s suggestion. Used Zephyr Caramel coveture. I’ll probably tweet the recipe for a caramel ganache for a softer layer and overall balance. 

Thanks for all the advise.

7A76CDAA-138B-4BE6-AFF3-BEC6E3F904A6.jpeg

• Like 1